Solved

Final electricity meter readings to old supplier not sent by OVO yet - why?

• 17 October 2017
  • 12 replies

Hello,

I moved from British Gas to Ovo recently. The final gas and electricity meter readings were sent to Ovo at the same time to send on to BG. Gas has gone through OK, but the electricity reading has not yet been received by B`G some three weeks later. Is this normal or do I need to chase `Ovo?

Many thanks

icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 27 October 2017, 15:09

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated on 10/05/21 by Jess_OVO

This is completely normal. When you submit your opening meter readings after a switch these are then sent off to be checked by a third party, then given to your old supplier. This process takes between 4- 6 weeks and sometimes (as in this case) the reading for one supply is confirmed before the other.

If it’s been over 6 weeks since your switch date and you’re still waiting for your final statement, there may be a delay to getting the reading confirmed. You can contact your previous supplier or our Support Team, who can help chase this up. 

Watch the video below for a simple guide to the final bill process, although this refers to switches away from OVO the same time frame does apply when waiting for a final statement from your old supplier when you join us  - 

I Left OVO 2/10/19 both meter readings sent and by me 1/10/19 and verified by new supplier. Final gas statement raised 16/10/19 but no Final statement for Electric. It is now six weeks since I left OVO and I have not received any reason why the Final electric statement has not been raised. There is a large credit balance on my account and my only action now is to pass my information on to Ofgem to raise a complaint against OVO.

Update: I now have been informed OVO have raised a read dispute on my Electric Account, Only informed after the six week industry timescale  has expired and they say it can take another 12 weeks to resolve. I keep very accurate records and the reading for closing and opening the new account are the same and confirmed. This appears to be another delaying tactic to hold on to credit balances for unrealistic periods. This has left a bad impression of OVO this should have been rectified within the first 12 week period is there a cash flow problem at OVO?

24 weeks for a energy switch is unacceptable.

Userlevel 6

I’m sorry you feel it’s a delaying tactic, @John W, this is not the case.

Read disputes can be long process but it is important that they are done to ensure you don't pay for your energy twice.

Here is some more information on the read dispute process: https://bit.ly/1TpcexE

I left EDF and joined OVO on 11 March 2020 (8 weeks ago) but am still awaiting a refund from EDF as they say OVO have not advised them of my final meter reading, which I supplied on 11 March ?  
Can you please advise what is happening ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Julia H and welcome to the Forum.

I’ve just answered an almost identical question over here on another Topic! Have a look and ask again if you want further help.

Hi all,

wondered if anyone knows how to find your opening readings? As my old supplier needs the electricity one,and I can't find it!! 

Got the gas thou....

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Heya @BonesE !

Welcome by the way! I see you’ve recently joined us.

You can simply tell your new supplier what the meter readings are right now and they’ll use them for this purpose. 🙂 Your new supplier will pass them on once you provide them. For the most part, submitting the readings into MyOVO will automatically crunch them with your old supplier as long as you use the tool which comes up on-screen asking for opening readings. The Support Team can also handle them by phone or chat if that's easier. But if you’re still stuck, feel free to give me a shout.

I hope this helps.

@Blastoise186 cheers matey!!

Yeah I supplied them to OVO,but they haven't sent the electricity reading to my old supplier....hence they can't do my final bill 😒 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Gotcha, I can explain that too @BonesE .

It actually takes a few weeks for the final readings to truly reach your old supplier and the final bill to be generated. It’s possible that OVO has either already sent them off, or they’re about to in the next few days. This is a standard thing you’ll get with any supplier switch.

What happens in the meantime, is there’s a validation process between both suppliers and a few other systems to make sure the opening readings you provided to OVO match up with what your old supplier is expecting - they also have a short window to raise a dispute should they choose. If this happens, there’s a longer process which has to take place to resolve the dispute. But if that doesn’t happen, the process continues automatically once the window expires.

In the meantime, your bills will be frozen with your old supplier until the final bill is ready. Hang in there for now and it should be sorted out in a few weeks at most.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

With that said though, I did find another thread from a while ago that might help. You can find it over at 

I don’t think you’ll have this problem just yet, but you can definitely chase up if it takes more than six weeks from today to get the final bill from your old supplier.

I’m unable to do that for you as I’m only a volunteer, so I can’t get access to your account. Data protection and all that… However, if you ever need help with anything, feel free to stop by the forums. We can often give you advice that helps solve the issue. :)

Userlevel 7

Welcome to OVO and to our online community, @BonesE!

See you’ve already been given some top-notch advice from our knowledgeable volunteer, @Blastoise186 -

What happens in the meantime, is there’s a validation process between both suppliers and a few other systems to make sure the opening readings you provided to OVO match up with what your old supplier is expecting - they also have a short window to raise a dispute should they choose. If this happens, there’s a longer process which has to take place to resolve the dispute. But if that doesn’t happen, the process continues automatically once the window expires.

As a similar question has been asked before, I’ve actually moved over the thread and updated the best answer above which should help explain the switching process. Any further questions about your new OVO account or how to use your online account, you know who to ask! :slight_smile: