Solved

Why did I get a bill from my old supplier (Spark) and my new supplier (OVO) for two months?

• 7 November 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi ! Last October I switched from Sparkenergy to Ovoenergy. Recently I noticed that in October and November I payed the bill for both energy suppliers. I would like to know why I’ve been charged as the last time I switched to a new energy supplier this didn’t happen. 

Thank you Ana Rita Martins

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 7 November 2020, 01:03

Updated on 26/02/21: The info in this update box is taken from this topic on final refund delays when a customer leaves OVO. But it’s likely to be similar with Spark well: 

When you switch supplier, your new energy supplier sends your old supplier the final meter readings so they can produce your final statements. This process usually takes up to 6 weeks which is an industry time-frame. See our guide on switching suppliers for more info. 

If Spark are outside of this time frame now, reach out to their support team. Details here

Thinking of switching to OVO too? Check out the available OVO plans and get your switch sorted today here.

Howdy @Flat7 !

This sounds like it’s probably an easy fix you can do. I wouldn’t know all the details for your exact situation, but I’d definitely recommend getting in touch with Spark and asking them why they’re still charging you. Here’s a few possible cases and options for each:

• You still have a debt to pay off with Spark

This happens sometimes. You can resolve this one by paying off any remaining debt with Spark which will allow that account to close down once the balance hits zero.

• You had the Final Bill from Spark and there wasn’t enough credit left on that account to pay it

In this case, Spark will have taken all your remaining credit on the old account, put it towards the Final Bill and then taken payment for the difference in order to settle the balance. The account with Spark should then be safe to automatically shut down after that’s done

• Timing issues meant the old Direct Debit couldn’t be stopped from going out fast enough

This happens sometimes as Direct Debits take a few days to process. You can probably ask Spark to issue a refund for any remaining credit back to your bank account

• Did you definitely switch the right meters?

You’ll be amazed how easy this one is to get mixed up! It’s even easier to do if you’re in a block of flats or have similarly named addresses in your area. Make sure to double check the contracts to make sure you called the tow truck on the right meters

• Still have another account with Spark?

Sometimes you might have only switched one fuel over, or possibly have other products with your old supplier. Definitely worth checking in with Spark to see what’s happening and then go from there.

• Something else entirely?

Spark Energy will almost certainly be the best place to reach out to and try to get a refund. I definitely recommend leaving the Direct Debit open with them until after you’ve got confirmation that everything is all paid off. Once that account is definitely settled and you’ve got absolutely nothing left with Spark that’s active, feel free to cancel the old Direct Debit from Spark to finish the cleanup.

I hope this helps. If you’re still stumped, feel free to reply here again. :)

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Updated on 26/02/21: The info in this update box is taken from this topic on final refund delays when a customer leaves OVO. But it’s likely to be similar with Spark well: 

When you switch supplier, your new energy supplier sends your old supplier the final meter readings so they can produce your final statements. This process usually takes up to 6 weeks which is an industry time-frame. See our guide on switching suppliers for more info. 

If Spark are outside of this time frame now, reach out to their support team. Details here

Thinking of switching to OVO too? Check out the available OVO plans and get your switch sorted today here.

Howdy @Flat7 !

This sounds like it’s probably an easy fix you can do. I wouldn’t know all the details for your exact situation, but I’d definitely recommend getting in touch with Spark and asking them why they’re still charging you. Here’s a few possible cases and options for each:

• You still have a debt to pay off with Spark

This happens sometimes. You can resolve this one by paying off any remaining debt with Spark which will allow that account to close down once the balance hits zero.

• You had the Final Bill from Spark and there wasn’t enough credit left on that account to pay it

In this case, Spark will have taken all your remaining credit on the old account, put it towards the Final Bill and then taken payment for the difference in order to settle the balance. The account with Spark should then be safe to automatically shut down after that’s done

• Timing issues meant the old Direct Debit couldn’t be stopped from going out fast enough

This happens sometimes as Direct Debits take a few days to process. You can probably ask Spark to issue a refund for any remaining credit back to your bank account

• Did you definitely switch the right meters?

You’ll be amazed how easy this one is to get mixed up! It’s even easier to do if you’re in a block of flats or have similarly named addresses in your area. Make sure to double check the contracts to make sure you called the tow truck on the right meters

• Still have another account with Spark?

Sometimes you might have only switched one fuel over, or possibly have other products with your old supplier. Definitely worth checking in with Spark to see what’s happening and then go from there.

• Something else entirely?

Spark Energy will almost certainly be the best place to reach out to and try to get a refund. I definitely recommend leaving the Direct Debit open with them until after you’ve got confirmation that everything is all paid off. Once that account is definitely settled and you’ve got absolutely nothing left with Spark that’s active, feel free to cancel the old Direct Debit from Spark to finish the cleanup.

I hope this helps. If you’re still stumped, feel free to reply here again. :)

Userlevel 7

What’s the latest, @Flat7? Some good questions  above that would help us advise on this….