Solved

New to OVO, either my Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN) or my Meter Serial Number (MSN) is wrong on ECOES?

• 13 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Good afternoon all,

I’m after any advice on a very frustrating issue we’re having since moving in to our new home in January. I have spoken with the Ovo helpline 3 times now and keep getting nowhere (helpline directs me to email, email directs me to helpline and on and on on etc!). 

Our home has an MPAN number which corresponds with the name of the property. I’ve triple checked this with UK power networks. The name of the property is the same as the Royal Mail database, the title deeds to the house and the local council reference.  

It appears however that our meter serial number does not match with this MPAN, and is linked to another property name. We have spoken with neighbours, and there appears to be no house in the area by the name linked to our meter S/N, or certainly hasn’t been for 20+ years. The meter is a smart meter fitted in circa 2017, so it cannot be that old! 

The MPAN for our house is 100% previously supplied by Ovo - again I’ve triple checked the details with UK PN. So I’m guessing at this point that either:

1. the MPAN database is incorrect, or;
  2. the serial number held by Ovo is incorrect for our meter

I’ve been through this conversation a few times with the helpline and never get anywhere. Does anyone have any tips as to how to progress? 

Thanks so much for any help,

Chris 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 13 March 2021, 15:50

Hey there @Ceg1805 ,

That’s really strange and is supposed to be almost impossible. It sounds to me as if the records on the national electricity meter database ECOES need to be fixed. It’s shared between all suppliers and a few other trusted parties and is supposed to keep a record of all the meters you’ve ever had - including the serial numbers. I can’t access ECOES or your account with OVO myself and this forum can’t be used to share personal info, but this is something that definitely needs to be fixed, otherwise it will cause things to get worse.

Could you double check that the right serial number is listed in MyOVO? If the right one shows up there (your MPAN and Meter Serial Number should also be on your bills), it might just be a case of getting your ECOES record updated with the correct details based on what OVO has.

If they don’t match up however, this may need further investigation. I’ll see if I can ask @Tim_OVO for help with this. If you do contact the Support Team again, I’d definitely recommend going in via Live Chat or Phone via https://help.ovoenergy.com.

When you do get in touch, please let the agent know that you’ve raised this on the forum and provide a link to this thread. If you let them know you’ve spoken to me as well, it should help the agents to get up to speed.

If you keep getting stumped though, definitely give us a shout here again. We don’t give up easily!

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey there @Ceg1805 ,

That’s really strange and is supposed to be almost impossible. It sounds to me as if the records on the national electricity meter database ECOES need to be fixed. It’s shared between all suppliers and a few other trusted parties and is supposed to keep a record of all the meters you’ve ever had - including the serial numbers. I can’t access ECOES or your account with OVO myself and this forum can’t be used to share personal info, but this is something that definitely needs to be fixed, otherwise it will cause things to get worse.

Could you double check that the right serial number is listed in MyOVO? If the right one shows up there (your MPAN and Meter Serial Number should also be on your bills), it might just be a case of getting your ECOES record updated with the correct details based on what OVO has.

If they don’t match up however, this may need further investigation. I’ll see if I can ask @Tim_OVO for help with this. If you do contact the Support Team again, I’d definitely recommend going in via Live Chat or Phone via https://help.ovoenergy.com.

When you do get in touch, please let the agent know that you’ve raised this on the forum and provide a link to this thread. If you let them know you’ve spoken to me as well, it should help the agents to get up to speed.

If you keep getting stumped though, definitely give us a shout here again. We don’t give up easily!

Userlevel 7

Hi @Ceg1805 and thanks for outlining this situating so clearly. It really helps us to advise you. 

What a odd place to find yourself, it does sound like something needs updating. 

Some things to check please, some of which @Blastoise186 has already mentioned. If you reply to these things in this thread, it makes it really easy for you to go to the Web chat support team (at the bottom of this page here) and easily send them the URL link to this. Then they have all the info and you can sit back with a cuppa whilst it’s looked into. 

Can you check your MPAN and MSN on the online account, here:

Can you then check your meter. We want the MSN to match what’s online. 

If you have a copy of your old supplier’s statement, or online account, can you check what they have as your MPAN, we want that to match as well. 

If you check both of those, we should be able to work out what’s not matching. 

Userlevel 1

Hey there @Ceg1805 ,

If they don’t match up however, this may need further investigation. I’ll see if I can ask @Tim_OVO for help with this. If you do contact the Support Team again, I’d definitely recommend going in via Live Chat or Phone via https://help.ovoenergy.com.

Thanks so much for this it’s really helpful and has pointed me in the right direction. Unfortuantley I’ve managed to get as far as a My OVO account as yet as when I try and set the account up it seems to get stuck in the system. I first set up an account on 24/2/21 and received all of hte e-mails and confirmed that the account had been set up. I successfully logged in to my Ovo app first time (not sure if I'm allowed to give account numbers on here). I also had a direct debit set up which has taken inital payment, but now has stopped working! I called back and the account was set up incorrectly, so have set it up again last week but haven’t had anything else since. 

I’ll get back to Tim Ovo next and then give the helpline a call! 

Thanks for your help. 

Chris 

Userlevel 1

Can you check your MPAN and MSN on the online account, here:

Can you then check your meter. We want the MSN to match what’s online. 

If you have a copy of your old supplier’s statement, or online account, can you check what they have as your MPAN, we want that to match as well. 

Hi Tim,

Thanks for coming back to me - really appreciate it. I can’t get into my OVO account as per response above - haven’t received the details as yet and the first one was closed owing to a set up error. I have double checked the serial number on the meter, and it appears to be registered to a totally separate MPAN number for an address which isn’t ours with a different supplier. The MPAN for our address (it's the only house with this name in the area and certainly on the postcode) is registered with Ovo, but with a totally separate meter serial number. 

I’ll drop a line in to the web chat now!

Thanks again,

Chris 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

No worries!

Unfortunately @Ceg1805 , even if you were allowed to post personal info such as account numbers here, I wouldn’t be able to do much with them anyway. Forum volunteers like myself don’t have access to the internal systems and can’t access your account. I bet I could probably fix this sort of thing in nanoseconds if I was able to though!

Sounds like MyOVO  and a few other things are also getting a bit messed up and confused by this issue as well. Hopefully once your account is properly set up, most of this should be resolved. My guess to this is because everything needs to be linked up correctly, otherwise something will go bang and cause an implosion. Or two!

If you ask me, this sounds like a very, very rare error which is supposed to be pretty much impossible, and I suspect that OVO can only take part of the blame as it probably also lies elsewhere. The good news is that OVO should at least be able to fix this sort of thing and have it pushed out across everything. Unlucky for me however… I also don’t have access to ECOES or Xoserve either. Apparently, they don’t let forum volunteers in, something about GDPR… :wink:

Keep us posted how you get on though! I’ve got the popcorn ready and I’m pretty sure some of my “friends” are watching...

Userlevel 1

Have just had a long online chat session with Ovo using the info provided. For the record Asta was absolutely superb. Turns out that the MPANs for us and the new build next door were all completely messed up. Ovo supply next door and have just updated the ECOES database as their second supply to a garage had been registered incorrectly a few years back. I’ve now identified the MPAN we are served from with another provider which is under a totally incorrect name. They are updating that one on ECOES to the proper address. 

I will then 100% be switching to Ovo - the customer service has been excellent!

Thanks for your help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You are most welcome @Ceg1805 !

If you ever need help again, definitely stop by the forum and we’ll be happy to assist. Pretty much the only thing we can’t help out with here are account specific issues, but even then we can usually offer some advice.

If there’s any particular reply in this thread that you think solves the question best, please feel free to mark it as the answer. Not only does it update the status of this one to Solved, but it also helps other members out in the future.

I’d recommend giving it a few days for ECOES to properly catch up, then it should all be good to go.