Solved

Moving into new house, how do I set up my account?

• 24 December 2018
  • 79 replies

Hi, I have just moved into a property which you supply. I want to submit my readings and fix my bills but the suggested price is £129 a month. This seems very high as there is only myself in the property. Is this just an estimate that will change once I submit my meter readings?
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 31 December 2018, 14:17

View original

79 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated on 07/09/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Welcome to OVO and your new home!

Great that you’ve already found how to set-up an account with us, as we’re currently supplying the energy there. Even if you’re planning on switching suppliers, we’ll need a temporary account created in order to cover the period before your switch. When we create your account we’ll check the date you moved in and the meter readings on this date (unless you’ve got a smart meter) and create you an account starting from this point. 

The suggested Direct Debit amount for your new account is based on average energy usage we’ve seen in your home previously. This gives us a good starting point to work out what you’re likely to use but obviously if you are using less, you’ll only pay for what you use. We’ll monitor your usage and carry out a ‘Direct Debit Check-In’ every 3 months, after we’ve got an idea of your actual usage. If you’re really not sure about the suggested amount, reach out to our Support Team who can discuss a more suitable monthly payment amount.

The easiest way to keep an eye on your usage and suggested Direct Debit amount is by logging in to your online account or downloading our app (available for iOS and Android)

There’s more tips on how to manage your energy account when you move home on this great guide, and other moving house advice on this handy checklist

Good luck with the unpacking. :thumbsup:

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 7

Updated on 22/11/22 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Hey @MeganTyler,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

If your new home is supplied by OVO, you can call our Support Team on 0330 303 5063, we’re open Monday- Friday 9am to 5pm. Or, if you’d prefer to do it all online you can sign up here

Once you put in your new address details the website will recognise we already supply your new home and give you a quote based on the usage figures we have for the property. We have a great guide on this topic:

However, once you’ve set up an account you’ll be able to manage your account Online. We have tons of great tutorials on the Forum, so you can make the most of your online account or app.

Hope this helps. 

Hi,

I has moved into a property which is already supplied by OVO. I’ve recieved a letter named on The Occupier. When I try to register an account I get message

I am 100% Sure that postcode and OVO account number is correct. Don’t have time to wait like 30 hours before somebody will pick up the phone on Customer “Service”. What should I do with it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @tomekwi ,

You’ll probably need to give OVO a call on 0330 303 5063 for this one. It’s Friday, so the queues should be a bit shorter today. Please do so ASAP to avoid issues cropping up.

Userlevel 7

Hi @tomekwi, quick question here: when you moved in, did you get a separate account created with its own account number? 

For you or anyone else, here’s our guide on OVO and moving house

Hi there 

I moved into a flat supplied by OVO on the 1st October and called them up on the 3rd October to set up my account to just find out there's an issue as the previous tenants have left £2k of debt on it. 

Numerous calls and conversations with the consultants 10 weeks down the line have got me nowhere near getting the account set up.

On my last conversation on 23rd November I was told by a rude consultant that I have to give OVO 45 business days to resolve the situation (is that a joke?!) which came to term yesterday (Monday 12th December). 

I called OVO up today just to find out that we are still nowhere near a resolution of it, no timelines given just asked to wait. It has been 10 weeks, how much more waiting can I do?? I'm anxious and stressed out because I don't know how much we will be paying for the bills for the last 10 weeks.... the consultant said she will transfer me to account management department just for the transfer to ring out and then come up with an error message.

Moreover I don't understand what a debt left by people I don't even know have anything to do with me but yet I'm being punished by other people's terrible conduct and irresponsible behaviour. 

I don't know what else can I do, I just want this to be resolved and OVO seem to be no help in this at all. Please advise of how this can be expedited at this point as it has been 10 weeks.... 

Thank you in advance. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Igniesa,

Really sorry to hear this,

I’ll get Forum_Support to reach out, please keep an eye on your private messages.

Hope this helps. 

So, I just moved in my new flat and OVO was already providing the energy here, great, thanks very much.

The problem is, they left me a letter saying I have to call this number to setup my account asap. When I do, I’m told the lines are extremely busy, the waiting time is more than 10 minutes and the recording offers to continue the conversation in whatsapp, which is much more convenient. When in whatsapp, I’m told I can only setup my account by phone, even after telling them the waiting time is more than 10 minutes and the phone recording sent me here, the answer is “that’s the best you can do”, what joke is this?

Do I really have to stand there for more than 10 minutes listening to call centre music to simply setup my account, like our ancestors used to do? Why can’t I do it online like a normal person?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Marcelo ,

Can you try https://switch.ovoenergy.com by any chance? That should do the trick for you!

Hi @Emmanuelle_OVO

Thanks for your message. 

Whilst it is great you have asked them to contact me via a private message, I find it ridiculous that I'm being asked to give an account number when I have clearly stated that my issue is exactly that - I'm unable to set up an account for 10 werks now thus won't have an account number. I've replied and now 24hrs of deadlock silence. 

This overall experience with OVO is just extremely disappointing. 

Thanks

Igniesa

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Let them know you don’t have an account yet via the PM thread. That should get you past the check.

Forum_Support agents do check in every day, but there’s limited hours that they’re around for. They should be back tomorrow. I know several of them myself and they do have a lot of things to keep watch over!

Hey @Marcelo ,

Can you try https://switch.ovoenergy.com by any chance? That should do the trick for you!

That was great actually, I got to setup a direct debit and actually received an account number. Still can’t setup an account online though, but I guess now I can wait until the lines are free again to call.

Thanks so much, I hope you get a raise!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’d give it a couple of weeks before setting up online services. :)

We moved in to our home mid October and 3 months later OVO have still not registered us. We have called over 20 times, sent multiple emails, complained, ect. I finally wrote to the Ombudsman to complain about their service. We are unable to pay our bill as they cannot link us with the property. Constantly get told ‘ there is an error we need to move you to the home switch team who will get in contact in 5 worksing days’ and STILL NOTHING. We cant even move providers without being set up first.

Any one else had this issue and managed to get set up? I hate ovo. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Apologies if this is a stupid question but have you tried going via this website https://switch.ovoenergy.com/

yes. That was our first port of call and when we tried to register it told us that they could not register us online and we had to call. have spent over 20 hours on the phone with ovo so far and no one can help. We just want to pay our bill and then move on from them but they cant even register us as new customers! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Has the ombudsman responded to your complaint?

not yet. We are so fed up. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think all you can do is wait for the ombudsman process to complete. While I appreciate that it's annoying, and there's no reason for OVO to not have sorted it out, there's no need to worry as there should be no financial impact.

Hi, I’m going to move in a house in 1 Jan 2023 and want to change other energy supplier which I don’t  know the name to OVO.

When I selected OVO plan and filled in all information included bank account, The system showed some wrong and no any reply. I do not how to do next. I’m new to UK from other country.

I have not any previous tenant information about electric bill.

Can anyone help to solve this problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When you move into a new property you need to register with the existing energy provider first. You can't do this until you've moved in and have your opening meter readings. When your account is set up you can then start the process of swapping to a different provider.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@che wai if you don’t know the current supplier you can search here (Ofgem)

Hi. I moved into a rented property this week. My estate agent said the energy provider was SSE and said I could register with OVO. I've set up a direct debit for my new flat but in order for OVO to get the meter correct they want to check their meter numbers against an old bill, however, I don't have an old bill. The estate agent isn't bothered either.

Any advice?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Novo you normally need to switch to set up a new account .. although perhaps you’ve already done that?
https://switch.ovoenergy.com/

There is a link to check who supplies the property - don’t know if that will help

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/finding-your-energy-supplier-or-network-operator

Many thanks for link. Got the electricity meter now, time to hunt down the gas!