Solved

I'm thinking of joining OVO but sent an email to ask some questions - why did you reply to ask me for account info when I don't have an account yet?

• 18 November 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Dear Users,

I’m not an OVO Energy customer yet, but I’m considering switching. For that, however, I would need OVO Energy to answer some of my questions. Therefore I wrote a letter to OVO Energy’s central email address.

I started the letter with: "I am considering switching to you. For that, however, I would need you to answer some of my questions." Then I asked my questions.

I received this answer:

"Hi there,

We’ve had an email from an address that isn’t on your account. To keep your details safe, we can only reply to questions from the address you’ve registered with us.

If you want to change your email address, you can quickly do it in Your Online Account by going to the My Details page. You can also update other details, give reads and check your usage there.

Or, if you’d like to add another person to your account so they can discuss things with us directly, just email us from your registered email address with the following:

Your Account Number

Your Date of Birth

The name of the person you’ll be adding to the account

Their Date of Birth

Their email address 

Kind regards,

The Ovo Energy Team"

So I'm not a customer yet, so obviously I don't have an OVO Energy account yet. So before I switch to the OVO Energy, without an existing account as a prospective customer, how can I send an email to the OVO Energy with my questions about the future service?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 18 November 2020, 23:01

Updated on 26/02/21: thinking of switching to OVO too? Check out the available OVO plans and get your switch sorted today here.

Thanks @Flyingman ,

I can definitely give all of these a shot. But I do recommend editing out your postcode. If you’re not sure how to do that, I can get help from a moderator for you.

So with that said…

1. Is it possible for me to communicate with you exclusively by e-mail in the future on all matters?

Yes, this is possible if you wish, but it can be a bit slow compared to other options. The main options on offer are Email, Phone, Live Chat, Forums and Facebook/Twitter. Live Chat tends to be the fastest, followed by Phone, Facebook/Twitter, Forums and Email.

If you have a question that’s not account specific, I can almost definitely guarantee a same-day response from a volunteer such as myself if you post here on the forums.

2. I don't have a smart meter yet. However, I have an "Economy 7" tariff. Will you equip me with a smart meter that is also suitable for the "Economy 7" tariff? If so, when after the switch?

Yup, this is a piece of cake to do. Simply sign up with an Economy 7 tariff now and when you get a smart meter installed (if you choose to have one), it will be set up in Economy 7 mode. You can book the installation once you come on-supply with OVO for a date that suits you. A smart meter can also be set up in both Economy 7 and Single-Rate mode without having to swap the meter out to switch mode.

3. If my Wifi router is out of range of the smart meter, can you provide a Wifi extender to work with?

Wi-Fi is not required in order to get the smart meter to work. The In-Home Display you can use with it also doesn’t require Wi-Fi, so this won’t be an issue. OVO doesn’t supply Wi-Fi Extenders, but I can always offer advice if you’re struggling here

4. Is it possible I pay for you my last month's current consumption each month, on the real month's consumption?

Yes. OVO tends to primarily do Fixed Rate tariffs with payment by fixed Direct Debit. You pay the same amount each month into the account with OVO, but you only pay for what you actually use from there. Any spare account credit stays on the account and rolls over to the next bill. It may also earn interest too. On top of that, OVO does the number crunching daily, so it’s easy to know what the bill is going to be before it's generated.

The only tariff that allows payment in arrears/on-receipt of the bill is the Standard Variable rate tariff Simpler Energy. This tariff also allows payment via bank transfer, cash, cheque and credit/debit card in arrears as well as Direct Debit. However, as a Standard Variable tariff, it’s also the most expensive tariff OVO offers.

I hope this helps. Feel free to post any other questions here too.

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi there @Flyingman ,

Sorry if you had any trouble there. If you’d like, I can try to answer your questions here on the forums in case that helps. As a customer myself, I can’t promise everything, but I’ll definitely give it a try.

Please withhold any personal info though, just to make sure you’re safe. :)

Userlevel 1

Hi Blastoise186,

My questions:

1. Is it possible for me to communicate with you exclusively by e-mail in the future on all matters?
2. I don't have a smart meter yet. However, I have an "Economy 7" tariff. Will you equip me with a smart meter that is also suitable for the "Economy 7" tariff? If so, when after the switch?
3. If my Wifi router is out of range of the smart meter, can you provide a Wifi extender to work with?
4. Is it possible I pay for you my last month's current consumption each month, on the real month's consumption?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Updated on 26/02/21: thinking of switching to OVO too? Check out the available OVO plans and get your switch sorted today here.

Thanks @Flyingman ,

I can definitely give all of these a shot. But I do recommend editing out your postcode. If you’re not sure how to do that, I can get help from a moderator for you.

So with that said…

Yes, this is possible if you wish, but it can be a bit slow compared to other options. The main options on offer are Email, Phone, Live Chat, Forums and Facebook/Twitter. Live Chat tends to be the fastest, followed by Phone, Facebook/Twitter, Forums and Email.

If you have a question that’s not account specific, I can almost definitely guarantee a same-day response from a volunteer such as myself if you post here on the forums.

Yup, this is a piece of cake to do. Simply sign up with an Economy 7 tariff now and when you get a smart meter installed (if you choose to have one), it will be set up in Economy 7 mode. You can book the installation once you come on-supply with OVO for a date that suits you. A smart meter can also be set up in both Economy 7 and Single-Rate mode without having to swap the meter out to switch mode.

Wi-Fi is not required in order to get the smart meter to work. The In-Home Display you can use with it also doesn’t require Wi-Fi, so this won’t be an issue. OVO doesn’t supply Wi-Fi Extenders, but I can always offer advice if you’re struggling here

Yes. OVO tends to primarily do Fixed Rate tariffs with payment by fixed Direct Debit. You pay the same amount each month into the account with OVO, but you only pay for what you actually use from there. Any spare account credit stays on the account and rolls over to the next bill. It may also earn interest too. On top of that, OVO does the number crunching daily, so it’s easy to know what the bill is going to be before it's generated.

The only tariff that allows payment in arrears/on-receipt of the bill is the Standard Variable rate tariff Simpler Energy. This tariff also allows payment via bank transfer, cash, cheque and credit/debit card in arrears as well as Direct Debit. However, as a Standard Variable tariff, it’s also the most expensive tariff OVO offers.

I hope this helps. Feel free to post any other questions here too.

Userlevel 1

Ok. Thank you for your answers. You helped a lot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You’re most welcome. I’m glad to be of assistance.

If you’re happy with my answer, could you mark it as the Best Answer as well please? This helps to update the status and clears it off the list of unsolved questions.

And please feel free to stop by again anytime.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for flagging this, @Flyingman 

I have passed on this error to our Service Operations manager. It was an agent error to reply to your email like that. As you’re not yet a customer, we should have replied to your email in full rather then send that request for more account info. I’m sorry you were effected by that error. 

@Blastoise186 you’re going to make the forum the first port of call for customer queries with replies like the one above. I’m going to assign that as the ‘best answer’, and add in my bit at the top about that agent mistake. What a pro!