Solved

Do I submit my opening meter reading in kWh or m3? My smart meter shows both.

• 21 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Just sent in my opening meter readings.

I have a smart meter and the gas meter shows both kWh and m3.  I assumed I should enter m3 but there is nothing I can find on the OVO website to confirm this.

Can someone reassure me that I did the right thing?!

Maybe OVO could add something to the website to cover this.

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 22 October 2020, 12:04

Updated on 26/02/21: Thinking of switching to OVO too? Check out the available OVO plans and get your switch sorted today here.

Hi @SurreyMike and thanks for posting!

The meter is read in m3 (or if you have an older non-smart meter, ft3). This is converted into kWh on the online account

The info below is taken from this topic on how to read your smart meter:

To take a reading from your Secure Liberty SMETS1 smart meter, press 9 on the meter's keypad. For an Economy 7 electricity smart meter, press 6. 

To take a reading from your Aclara electric SMETS2 smart meter, press  on your electric meter and TOU rate 1 will be the reading. For Economy 7, TOU rate 2 will show the other reading. 

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 26/02/21: Thinking of switching to OVO too? Check out the available OVO plans and get your switch sorted today here.

Hi @SurreyMike and thanks for posting!

The meter is read in m3 (or if you have an older non-smart meter, ft3). This is converted into kWh on the online account

The info below is taken from this topic on how to read your smart meter:

To take a reading from your Secure Liberty SMETS1 smart meter, press 9 on the meter's keypad. For an Economy 7 electricity smart meter, press 6. 

To take a reading from your Aclara electric SMETS2 smart meter, press  on your electric meter and TOU rate 1 will be the reading. For Economy 7, TOU rate 2 will show the other reading. 

Userlevel 7

Are you happy to mark my response as the 'best answer’ @SurreyMike 

Also, how have you found your switch to OVO so far? 

Thanks for the helpful reply.  The link to the other topic is helpful but I didn’t find it in my search before posting my question. 

I have log in details for my prospective OVO account but there is absolutely nothing to see yet because the switch hasn’t happened.  So the only experience I have so far of OVO is the request to enter meter readings.  On the page to enter readings there is help on how to read old meter types not a smart meter.  Needs updating rather than expecting people to search in the forum!

So early days to judge the switch!