Solved

Do I have to get a smart meter if I switch to OVO?

• 6 March 2018
  • 7 replies

If I switch to OVO do I have to have a smart meter installed. I was told that some energy companies are including this as a term in new contracts.
icon

Best answer by Transparent 6 March 2018, 17:18

Updated on 26/03/2020: this hasn’t changed, see this recent topic for more info

No, you do not need to have a Smart Meter if you join OVO.

Some people don't want them because they are getting a better deal on exporting solar-generated power back to the grid on their existing meter. And others are waiting until the next generation of SM's is available, which won't be until Nov'18 at the earliest.

There's still 2 years to go until the Government's deadline by which we should all have a SM. And no one has yet decided what happens if a customer still refuses.

Simply sign up for OVO today. You will get a reminder to say you can have a SM... which you can ignore.

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 26/03/2020: this hasn’t changed, see this recent topic for more info

No, you do not need to have a Smart Meter if you join OVO.

Some people don't want them because they are getting a better deal on exporting solar-generated power back to the grid on their existing meter. And others are waiting until the next generation of SM's is available, which won't be until Nov'18 at the earliest.

There's still 2 years to go until the Government's deadline by which we should all have a SM. And no one has yet decided what happens if a customer still refuses.

Simply sign up for OVO today. You will get a reminder to say you can have a SM... which you can ignore.

Thanks

I’m thinking of switching from British Gas to OVO.  I don’t have a Smart Meter, and don’t want one either.  Will I have to have one if I go with OVO?

Userlevel 6

Great to hear you’re thinking of joining us @foreststar, see above for more info, if you have any more questions let us know! 

Cheers! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @foreststar. I’m glad to see you’ve raised this issue on the Forum. There are a multitude of differing views about Smart Meters being voiced here, and you are certainly not alone.

I had Smart Meters fitted 9 months ago, and had a number of problems. However, it has been extremely useful seeing how these  were addressed over the ensuing months. If they’d worked first time then I wouldn’t have learned nearly so much.

You can read of my experiences over here on my Topic about SMETS2 Installation.

During the next few months there will be stories in the press and here on the Forum about customers using Smart Meters for innovative purposes well beyond just delivering usage data back to their Energy Supplier.

Whether you have Smart Meters or not should not dissuade you from joining in with comment or questions about these new technologies. It’s the diversity of viewpoints which makes this Forum so useful.

Thanks for your replies.  Now I’ve only ever paid for my bills once my meters have been read, and my quarterly bill’s been sent. If I go with Ovo, I’m going to pay a set amount each month direct debit.  Now how do they (and myself) find out if I’m overpaying or underpaying?  Do they come out to read my meter occasionally?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Good point @foreststar. You will still send in manual readings - preferably once each month. The basis of this is trust.

When my Smart Meters weren’t fully operational I received an email reminder about 4 days before the optimal monthly read-date. I usually tried to put in the readings a day or two early. That produced bills with 29 or 30 days of “customer supplied reading” and 1 or 2 days of “estimated reading”.

OVO use a third-party company, Morrison Data Services, to log all meter readings. It is Morrison who would attend on site to do an official reading as and when required.

The exact interval of these official readings varies according to

• the age of your meter(s)
  • the deviation of your manual readings from an expected norm
  • safety-check intervals (typically every 2 to 3 years)

If you have difficulties in providing manual readings, then there are ways to accommodate this. About a year ago, a customer on this Forum pointed out that his electricity meter was in the basement, and he could no longer use the stairs to reach it. There are solutions to such problems and OVO Customer Services need to be informed so they can provide advice and make the necessary arrangements.