Solved

Could OVO change my meters from prepayment to pay monthly?

• 19 March 2018
  • 13 replies

Hi I moved into a new home in October last year. The previous owner had pre pay meters in the property with NPower I have already requested credit ones which I passed the credit checks but nearly 6 months on NPower have failed over and over to honour the change of meters and the prices on these meters are once again increasing! I have tried a few other suppliers but they are not interested in removing NPowers prepay meters and advised me to get them too which has been a waste of time can anyone give me some advice does OVO do this?
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 21 March 2018, 17:04

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated 31/08/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Sorry to hear about the issues you’re having with your current supplier.

As you’ve got prepayment meters there at the moment, unfortunately you wouldn’t be able to switch to OVO Energy before some changes are made to your meters. As we only supply Pay monthly meters, we can only request a switch if you’ve got traditional Pay Monthly meters (or smart meters in pay monthly mode) already installed. If you’re still looking to switch as a prepayment customer, check out Boost Power, our Pay-as-you-go sister company.

If you are keen to become a Pay Monthly OVO member, we’d advise you to contact your current supplier to request a smart meter installation. As long as this meter can communicate with OVO (find out which smart meters we can communicate with here) it can be switched to a Pay Monthly mode when you switch, allowing you to access our great OVO Pay Monthly Plans.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

We have recently moved into a house supplied by Boost PAYG with a smart meter. We have made an account with Boost, and asked them to switch us over to Ovo monthly direct debit instead. However they have told us it will take 28 days to switch over. Does anyone know why it will take this long as it normally seems to be pretty quick changing supplier? We also have not had any confirmation of this change starting from Boost or Ovo.

Just asking as we've had no end of difficulty with the PAYG system - top up codes not working etc, and attempting to use the chat page and attempting to get through to actually speak to someone. Keen to get off PAYG asap!!

Thanks

Hi Molly, 

We had exactly the same issue. Good luck, you will need it.

I've initially been told we needed to be on PAYG for 30 days in order for them to monitor our usage. After the 30 days, we put in a request for a contract and to pay monthly.  They says it takes 21 working days for a contract to be opened and the account to be created. I've been calling after the 21 working days every couple of days and eventually,  after logging in a complaint and refusing to disconnect until speaking to a manager, they opened a new account and they sent me emails to confirm this. Our smart meter started displaying emergency credit, even if we had credit before the switch and now we  have £2 remaining on emergency gas. I wonder what will happen when that runs out.

Just wanted to let you know what to expect 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Paulalica,

Until your meter is switched to credit mode, you’ll need to top up or you’ll go off supply.

I’d advise contacting Boost and asking when you can be expected to be switched to pay monthly with OVO.

It is all done through Boost Energy, so if you have any issues I'd advise contacting their Support Team. 

Hi I had ovo pre payed smart meters fitted about 5 years ago, then I was moved to boost energy for some reason, can I change to a pay monthly tariff with ovo or boost 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @congonatty !

Yup, you can indeed, but you’ll need to get moved to OVO for this. Boost Customer Service can get the ball rolling for you if you have a chat with them. :)

Ok that’s great thanks for your help

my prepay smartmeter is saying ‘electricity not in prepayment mode'

there was around £30 on it yesterday

any ideas please?

Userlevel 7

HI @CarolinePurdy and thanks for posting this. 

I have a few questions that might help our members to advise on this. 

Are you referring to the in home display device which has the message ‘electricity not in prepayment mode’, rather than the big physical meter attached to the wall?

Are you currently with OVO PAYG?

If you’re in need of urgent help, OVO’s PAYG team can support you here. 

Hi there 

I need some advice

If i buy a house that has Pre Payment Meters from the last tenants, how do i get it taken out?

Do i contact the company that put it in or ask Ovo who my energy is with, i pay Direct Debit?

Any info would be great Thank you Shelley

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @milltownlass , welcome to this customer forum. You can check who the current supply company is https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/finding-your-energy-supplier-or-network-operator

You would have to set up an account with the current supplier before going through a switch if you wanted to do that. 
Depending on the meter type in place, some can be switched from one payment type to another remotely. 

I’m currently on a pay as you go meter but I’m wanting to swap to a fixed fee instead. How do I go about this? I keep forgetting to top up gas and electric so this will be easier 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Cody ,

Have a chat with Support about this one. They can make the arrangements for you. If you don’t currently have Smart Meters, your meters will be swapped as part of the transfer.

If you’re currently with Boost, you’ll need to talk to their team to get things started.