Solved

Why is my switch to OVO "on hold"?

• 11 November 2017
  • 71 replies

Show first post

71 replies

I notice other customers have posted with the same problem as myself i.e. when I log in to My Ovo, I see a screen with says 'Your switch is on hold'. The menu options are shaded so I can't do anything, including provide the initial meter readings Ovo keep asking me for. This is incredibly frustrating and needs either fixing ASAP or Ovo need to provide another means for new customers to provide initial meter readings. The responses so far are just platitudes, and I am not inclined to recommend Ovo to my friends. My question is WHEN will Ovo be either fixing or providing a temporary work around to this urgent problem?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Geoff Richardson and @captainsparkledotcom;
Similar comments are being made on another thread 'Switch on hold' why?

I suspect this problem of submitting readings is due to a wider IT upgrade/issue within OVO. Existing customers with Smart Meters have also been reporting that their fuel usage graphs haven't been updating since 14th.

Don't panic. I suggest you log on to your previous/existing supplier and post today's meter-reading with them.

Although the agreed protocol is for the receiving Supplier to file the meter readings with the National Database, it is still up to the Supplier relinquishing the account to then lodge any complaint if the readings appear spurious, for example.

Once OVO get their own IT systems sorted, you can still expect them to agree to today's reading for the start of your contract. After all, the outgoing Supplier is hardly going to query it at that stage because you've already given them today's reading, to which they've had the opportunity to object!

Personally I've never provided my meter readings exactly on the day I'm told that I'm switching Suppliers. I always do it around 3 to 5 days early to give both companies a chance to raise queries such as disputing the reading or the Meter Number (MPRN) etc.

I have never been charged any excess days. All companies agree to accept figures within a few days of the Notified Start Date.
Having the same problem - switched to Sainsbury’s energy and they are absolutely dire - incompetent - useless - so decided to try OVO however it seems the same incompetence is rife ,, ! Almost impossible to phone - eventually found a number and was on hold for an eternity and gave up - someone please sort out the system or lose a lot of customers
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Bob new,
I would recommend you send a written message rather than try speaking on the phone. Either fill out the Online Form or email hello@ovoenergy.com

Either method means that a message arrives at Customer Services with a date/time stamp. OVO's managers can triage the problem and direct it to the most appropriate person to sort out the issue. Additionally, they can track that it has been properly responded to within their internally-set timeframes.

A telephone conversation has fewer benefits. You have no written record of what you said, nor whether they sufficiently understood the problem to send it to the right department.

And if you give your Meter Start-readings within the message, then they can actually enter them for you once their IT system is operational again.
I have exactly the same issue as of this morning.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @louiseacat and @pauldoody
Have a look at the thread New customer which is discussing the same problem. I've responded more fully there.
I get an email to say OVO now supplying my energy, please submit readings, but then when I go through to My Account I see the On Hold message that I now discover on this forum is a common problem. This is not a good start!
Emily posted a week ago that there was a technical error on the website ... but it's obviously not fixed yet.
I'm not impressed either that there's no way of contacting the company via phone or email, only via a forum.
Come on OVO, get your act together, there are plenty of others out there to switch to, and if this isn't sorted within two days I'll be off...
I'll
Tried to submit to my previous supplier but cannot as account now closed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hmm, @louiseacat. They're a bit quick! Suppliers that I've moved away from have always left the online account "live" at least until they send the Final Bill... usually within a fortnight or so.
They obviously can't create that Final Bill until the Meter Reading is agreed... usually by the receiving Supplier logging the meter readings via the National Database.

I would suggest you simply email the reading to them and ask (cheekily) for that Final Bill. They in turn will respond to say that they haven't yet received the official notification sequence which has to be initiated by OVO. And you can then email to ask why they've then closed your account! :?

In the few days that process will take, OVO's system should kick back in. No-one's then going to haggle over the meter readings because you've clearly informed both parties in writing on the agreed Start Date.
I, seemingly, can't obtain a not unsubstantial refund from my last supplier (Mid Shires Co op) because "Before we can issue you with a final bill, we need your new supplier to update the National Energy Database with your opening meter readings." , which, of course, I can't do because my transfer is 'on hold'!
I am now awaiting further reply from OVO.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Yes, @captainsparkledotcom, that's technically true. But you may not actually suffer any delay in getting that refund. It usually takes a couple of weeks anyway, provided that each Supplier is happy with the meter reading.

Even if OVO's user front-end of their online accounts system is inoperable, once you've emailed your readings to them, they can still send the necessary data to the National Database and "take over" your supply.

The important point is that you've emailed both parties with the meter reading on (or thereabouts) the agreed Start Date with OVO. As such, there is hardly likely to be any quibble.
Thanks, that's good to know, I've already emailed Co op directly with meter readings (though the Co op energy website is a little, erm, difficult to navigate sometimes!) and 'Lowri-Beck' who 'called while we were out' to read our meters (gas is outside, so that's been done by them).
A-Haaaa! sometime very recently (as in the past few minutes or so!) my account has been activated!! Meter readings have been submitted, thanks for you help folks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Well that's even better.
I've never had a real person come to read my meter when I've switched Suppliers. They've just accepted the readings I gave, which of course were roughly in line with what their own estimates would expect them to be.

But if Lowrie Beck are going to send your readings to the National Database, then you certainly shouldn't have a problem.

I think there must be a "flag" set on the National Database to denote how trustworthy a customer's readings are. I've sent in my own readings for at least the past 5 years, without any meter-reading official coming here. During that time I've changed Suppliers three times!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Woo-hoo!
So OVO's IT Dept are working late this evening. 🙂
My account has miraculously been activated!
Hi Keith. I can tell you my experience. I've been around the various Ovo houses, and apparently there isn't a fix to this (even though it seems like a fairly trivial issue). Last call I had from Ovo, the guy told me it was with their tech team, but wasn't a priority because it doesn't stop you getting your gas and electric. The only advice he gave was that, since I wasn't locked in, I could always move to another supplier. While that's a pain, since that will also involve a smart meter replacement, that's the recommendation I'm going with.
Hey @Bikerman @NickPeake

There was a technical issue causing this 'On Hold' message - but I'm pleased to say this has now been fixed. Please check out the update in my 'Best Answer' at the top of the page.

Thanks,
Emily
I've now asked my existing suppliers, Utility Warehouse, to cancel my switch to Ovo. Reading other posts on this forum has made be doubtful of Ovo's capability I'm afraid. I can't believe there isn't a phone number to call, or a direct email to write to that should be easily found on the company's communications. As I said in a previous email, Ovo need to get their act together. Bye.
Hey @Bikerman @NickPeake

There was a technical issue causing this 'On Hold' message - but I'm pleased to say this has now been fixed. Please check out the update in my 'Best Answer' at the top of the page.

Thanks,
Emily

Thought the problem was solved but entered my meter readings and now it says “authentication error” . What next ? I am persevering but OVO are testing my patience .
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @Geoff Richardson, @captainsparkledotcom, @Bob new, @NickPeake, @louiseacat and @Transparent!

I've moved your comments to this existing thread about the same thing. Check the update in Emily's 'Best Answer' at the top - the issue has been resolved by Tech now!

Nancy
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I notice other customers have posted with the same problem as myself i.e. when I log in to My Ovo, I see a screen with says 'Your switch is on hold'. The menu options are shaded so I can't do anything, including provide the initial meter readings Ovo keep asking me for. This is incredibly frustrating and needs either fixing ASAP or Ovo need to provide another means for new customers to provide initial meter readings. The responses so far are just platitudes, and I am not inclined to recommend Ovo to my friends. My question is WHEN will Ovo be either fixing or providing a temporary work around to this urgent problem?

I've merged your topic here as it advises that this issue has now been fixed. :)

@ply - it’s been fixed. 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I've now asked my existing suppliers, Utility Warehouse, to cancel my switch to Ovo. Reading other posts on this forum has made be doubtful of Ovo's capability I'm afraid. I can't believe there isn't a phone number to call, or a direct email to write to that should be easily found on the company's communications. As I said in a previous email, Ovo need to get their act together. Bye.
Our email addresses and contact numbers can be found on each correspondence we send (via post or email). The email address will appear on the top right hand side and the contact numbers at the bottom of the page. I’ve attached some screenshots to show this.

It’s a shame to hear that you’re switching away but we wish you all the best with your new supplier. If you ever want to switch back to us, we’ll always be here for you.

Lucy
Hi
We moved to Ovo in November. However the online account is still unavailable to use. I’ve been advised it’s a technical issue but can you look into it?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @Hj1 - I've moved your topic over here where you should find the info you need. Comment any more Qs below!

Nancy