Solved

Why are both Ovo and Eon charging me for gas?

• 15 April 2019
  • 1 reply

I recently switched from Eon to Ovo. According to Ovo, they started supplying my gas and electricity on 27th March. However, Eon claim they are still supplying my gas and have told me that I need to contact you.

Please can Ovo and Eon sort this out. I am currently being charged for gas by 2 suppliers.

Let me know what further details you require from me.

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Transparent 15 April 2019, 23:40

Hi @Purvis This isn't as unusual as you might at first suppose.

Firstly, it is entirely the responsibility of the Receiving Supplier to handle the administration of the switch process. Do not contact Eon because there's nothing they can do.

When a switch occurs, a Notification is sent to ECOES and Xoserve, who are the National Meter Databases for electricity and gas respectively. They then commence a procedure to inform the Relinquishing Supplier that you are leaving. There are quite a number of steps to occur... including a mandatory 14 day "cooling off period" required by the Consumer Rights Act. This allows you time to change your mind.

The process involves strict procedures and time-frames to verify the meter numbers against the address and that you are indeed the account holder. This prevents 3rd parties fraudulently acquiring access to your account. The process is regulated by Ofgem.

There is no direct link between ECOES and Xoserve. Their procedures are independent and usually happen a few days apart.

The whole process takes around 5 weeks. During this time it is quite possible that Eon may take two further Direct Debits, depending on how well the switch-date matched the payment date. They will of course refund this automatically once ECOES and Xoserve provide the authorisation to cease service. You can at any time close the Direct Debit with your bank, in which case Eon will have to send you a cheque rather than an automated credit.
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Purvis This isn't as unusual as you might at first suppose.

Firstly, it is entirely the responsibility of the Receiving Supplier to handle the administration of the switch process. Do not contact Eon because there's nothing they can do.

When a switch occurs, a Notification is sent to ECOES and Xoserve, who are the National Meter Databases for electricity and gas respectively. They then commence a procedure to inform the Relinquishing Supplier that you are leaving. There are quite a number of steps to occur... including a mandatory 14 day "cooling off period" required by the Consumer Rights Act. This allows you time to change your mind.

The process involves strict procedures and time-frames to verify the meter numbers against the address and that you are indeed the account holder. This prevents 3rd parties fraudulently acquiring access to your account. The process is regulated by Ofgem.

There is no direct link between ECOES and Xoserve. Their procedures are independent and usually happen a few days apart.

The whole process takes around 5 weeks. During this time it is quite possible that Eon may take two further Direct Debits, depending on how well the switch-date matched the payment date. They will of course refund this automatically once ECOES and Xoserve provide the authorisation to cease service. You can at any time close the Direct Debit with your bank, in which case Eon will have to send you a cheque rather than an automated credit.