Solved

Referred to OVO but there's a problem with the switch. Will I still get my Refer A Friend reward?

• 27 September 2019
  • 12 replies

I referred a family member who has signed up and the switch is in progress.
I've just received an email saying:
"We wanted to let you know that St... Wa... recently signed up to OVO Energy after being referred by you. Unfortunately the switch wasn't completed so you're no longer eligible for the reward."
Well the switch certainly is happening - it was delayed due to OVO ignoring the MPAN number we supplied and used a neighbour's meter instead!) but it is in progress and OVO are booked in to fit smart meters on 23rd October!
When I try to ring to resolve this I get told I will lose my reward if I speak to anyone but surely this is something that would be quicker to resolve?
Not sure how to proceed now...
icon

Best answer by adrian774 2 October 2019, 16:09

Update: I got an apologetic phone call from a very pleasant lady in customer services the other day and apparently it is because they got the MPAN number wrong. When we asked them to correct it the system identified that we were not switching and cancelled everything. I have been assured that the rewards will be paid. I was also told that this sort of issue is something I could have contacted them about by phone and not lost my bonus.

We'll just wait and see then...
View original

12 replies

why you don't wait till the switch is finished? maybe then they will give you your reward.
Update: I got an apologetic phone call from a very pleasant lady in customer services the other day and apparently it is because they got the MPAN number wrong. When we asked them to correct it the system identified that we were not switching and cancelled everything. I have been assured that the rewards will be paid. I was also told that this sort of issue is something I could have contacted them about by phone and not lost my bonus.

We'll just wait and see then...
Userlevel 5
I'm glad to hear our team were able to help with this, @adrian774, I'm sorry about the issue with your MPAN.

Keep an eye on your inbox for your voucher, you'll get this a few weeks after coming on supply with us.

I knew it was too good to be true!

My relative has just had an email saying her smart meter installation has been cancelled because of the mix up over account numbers. It says to book another appointment.... So we've made arrangements to be in this week and now they're not coming…

It's been a very painful experience and very embarrassing being the person who recommended OVO... 

Userlevel 6
Badge

This a shame to hear, @adrian774, I’m hoping the team have managed to secure an appointment for your relative. 

Yes - strangely, once they’d sorted it out, they had a free appointment at exactly the same time as her original one…!

The engineer arrived on time but had to make a load of calls to sort out the serial number of the gas meter as, for the fourth time, they had it down as the neighbours (who doesn’t have gas!)

However,  a few days after the installation the gas meter started sending data showing she’d used just £1.69 of gas, each day and every day for 10 days...how likely is that?! The in home display is set to 35.2p/unit instead of 3.5p so she has to divide the readings by 10 to know how much she’s used and the electricity reading shows maybe once a day…

Oh, and despite her having had bills (paid by direct debit) already neither of us have had a reward…

All in all, an exceptionally disappointing experience and I really do regret recommending OVO to my relative.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @adrian774,

It sounds like the issue with the gas meter serial number might have been to do with the property entry on the national database. 

I’m not sure what’s going on with the In Home Display. We should be able to update the tariff if this is incorrect - you just need to call the team on 0330 303 5063. With regards to the electricity usage, it might be poor connection - how far away from the electricity meter is it positioned?

You should receive your Refer A Friend vouchers within 28 days of your relative switching over to OVO. If it’s exceeded this time frame, pop us a message on Facebook and we can chase this up. 

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice, Nancy. We’re well over the 28 days but I’ll give it another week or so and see if anything turns up (at either my or my relative’s address) before contacting you.

Userlevel 5

The voucher will be emailed to you and your relative, @adrian774. It comes from a Mention-Me email address so it’s worth keeping an eye on your junk folder for this. 

Thanks for the heads up, Eva, much appreciated. I’ll pass it on to my relative.

Sadly, another month gone, another bill paid, no reward vouchers sent - not sure if this was ever a genuine offer ?

Userlevel 5

It’s a genuine offer, @adrian774, get in touch through Facebook or Twitter with your name, DoB, account number, relatives name and their email address and we’ll help with this. If you don’t use social media, email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com.