Solved

My switch to OVO seems to have stalled - why?

I switched to OVO via USwitch over 6 weeks ago, and my “Switch Timeline” appears to have stalled.

My timeline says they will start supplying energy in February.

I wouldn’t be so concerned except it says I will no longer be billed by my old supplier (Lumo) - but I am being billed!

What can I do to make sure my switch is actually happening?

icon

Best answer by Cardinal_Basil 8 April 2020, 10:20

My apologies @Cardinal_Basil Yes that is the correct number with OVO for everyone else wanting the number.

Did they explain why it was taking longer than expected? I can only assume because of COVID-19?

The agent suggested it was due to the current COVID-19 lockdown and advised just to hang tight as the process is still happening.

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Cardinal_Basil I would call OVO and ask if they have taken over. Have you created an online account with OVO? Have you provided meter readings to your previous energy supplier and to OVO? 

Just as a precaution you may want to call your current provider to see if they are still providing your energy. If not, ask for a refund for your DD payments.

Thanks.

I struggled to find the phone number as it is not displayed in the switch timeline - which would be handy. Some more googling later I found it. For anyone else it is 0330 303 5063.

Turns out the switch is taking longer than it should.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

My apologies @Cardinal_Basil Yes that is the correct number with OVO for everyone else wanting the number.

Did they explain why it was taking longer than expected? I can only assume because of COVID-19?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

May I just point out that it’s entirely the responsibility of the Receiving Supplier (OVO in this case) to handle all aspects of the Switch. You do not need to contact the Relinquishing Supplier.

The Receiving Supplier obtains your meter readings (usually from you!) and passes these to the National Meter Databases. That’s ECOES for electricity and Xoserve.

They in turn check these against the last readings from the Relinquishing Supplier. And there are stipulated margins of error by which the estimate is permitted to vary from the actual last reading you took.

Even if the Relinquishing Supplier raises one of the permitted reasons for an Objection to the switch, it is still the Receiving Supplier who must inform you of this.

Hold-ups can be for a number of reasons… including things like the Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) not matching your Post-Code.

Please ask here again @Cardinal_Basil if you require any further clarifications.

My apologies @Cardinal_Basil Yes that is the correct number with OVO for everyone else wanting the number.

The agent suggested it was due to the current COVID-19 lockdown and advised just to hang tight as the process is still happening.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Cardinal_Basil Thought this would’ve been the case

Hang in there and stay safe.

May I just point out that it’s entirely the responsibility of the Receiving Supplier (OVO in this case) to handle all aspects of the Switch. You do not need to contact the Relinquishing Supplier.

The Receiving Supplier obtains your meter readings (usually from you!) and passes these to the National Meter Databases. That’s ECOES for electricity and Xoserve.

They in turn check these against the last readings from the Relinquishing Supplier. And there are stipulated margins of error by which the estimate is permitted to vary from the actual last reading you took.

Even if the Relinquishing Supplier raises one of the permitted reasons for an Objection to the switch, it is still the Receiving Supplier who must inform you of this.

Hold-ups can be for a number of reasons… including things like the Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) not matching your Post-Code.

Please ask here again @Cardinal_Basil if you require any further clarifications.

@Transparent great insight. Thanks.

Can anyone help?

I switched to OVO via USwitch 15 weeks ago and it has still not transferred from my old supplier Lumo.

I spoke to customer service at the beginning of April and they said there is a delay due to COVID, but I am now another 6 weeks on and still nothing.

I am now on an expensive flexible plan with my old supplier because of the delay.

What can I do?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey @Cardinal_Basil 

I’ve moved your comment here, to your previous topic about the same issue, to make sure we keep all of the relevant information together in one place.

At this point, I’d advise reaching out to OVO via their Facebook or Twitter pages, or email them at hello@ovoenergy.com, to chase up what’s happening here. A usual switch process should take around 4-6 weeks, and anything beyond this could indicate something else is wrong or needs addressing.

Please let us know how you get on,

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Erm, @Cardinal_Basil - I assume you realise that your old-Supplier (Lumo) is a subsiduary of OVO?

If you’re being overcharged by being left on the standard-variable-tariff, then they should be able to  compensate you without having an argument between themselves!

You haven’t been forgotten here on the Forum. We’re still waiting for news on how this case unfolds.

One other thought:

As you have gas, have a look at Find_My_Supplier and enter your address there. It will interrogate the National Gas Meter Database called Xoserve and tell you who it thinks your current Supplier is. Very handy when you get stuck mid-switch!