Solved

Just switched, can't submit meter reading - why?

• 4 December 2018
  • 11 replies

Hi, i've just switched and having a nightmare already. I was expecting big things from OVO, maybe a decent app. Maybe a decent website where I can do 'stuff'. Maybe intuitive apps and websites. If only..... Instead, I wish I'd stayed with British Gas (that's really saying something).

So, I've been asked to submit my meter reading, but I've been working away. The letter attached to my email stated I should submit it before 5th December 2018. So here we are on the 4th December and my account simply says "sorry, you can't submit a reading. You're too late" try next month.

I'm fed up with utility companies that are just cr** . Every single one of them make it as difficult as possible to either complain, call and speak with someone or just generally get in touch.

So does anyone know how I actually get the meter reading to OVO (as requested, before the 5th December)?

If I can't I'm just going to invoke the cooling off period and move back. fed up with the lot of them. At least with British gas you know they're cr** and can get in touch with them.
icon

Best answer by ITGeek123 4 December 2018, 11:08

@andrew_clure

I don't appear to have any issues with the App, It's very fluid on iOS. The app may be saying the above because your account might have not been fully activated?

As for Fossil fuels, You do not have to purchase expensive equipment. Just support the energy suppliers who support green energy such as OVO. You can pay £5 extra a month for Green Gas. Together we can stop energy suppliers like British gas.

If you care about the planet like many of us here, then this would be an interesting read -

https://www.ovoenergy.com/green-gas

https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-fuel-mix

Going off topic but either way, You do not need to buy expensive equipment. Just support the energy suppliers who are trying to help climate change.

Going back to your issue, For now, call OVO and explain the issue and hopefully when next month arrives, you can submit your meter readings 🙂 Or better yet, arrange for an engineer to install smart meters into your home so you do not have to worry about submitting your meter readings manually.
View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hello @andrew_clure

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with OVO. Believe me they are an incredible energy supplier. I would recommend not going back to British Gas who support fracking and burn fossil to bring energy to your home. As with OVO, they are looking at the bigger picture and can see renewable energy is the future. Trust me, stay with OVO, you will not regret it. In terms of submitting your meter readings. The best thing to do this month would be to call them and hopefully by this time next month your account should be set up and you can manually enter your meter readings via the website or App. I would recommend the app.

Contact Number - 0330 303 5063
The app is crap! Simple as.

All I get is a landing page with a button stating “track your switch” which simply opens up the website (which itself then pops up with “ use the app to track your switch”). Clearly it’s not been through any user acceptance testing or had a decent UI expert have a look at the experience.

The app provides no information at all. It’s useless!

As far as fossil fuels are concerned, well that’s not my issue with the post. Also, I have gas central heating so there’s not much I can do about that (Other than spending tens of thousands on solar panels and other ‘green’ tech that I can’t afford).

The issue is, however, OVO’s inability to get accurate information to me within the first week of providing a service. So, having ‘green’ credentials (ironic for an energy company that supplies gas) is awesome, it’s no good if your service offering is rubbish!
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
@andrew_clure

I don't appear to have any issues with the App, It's very fluid on iOS. The app may be saying the above because your account might have not been fully activated?

As for Fossil fuels, You do not have to purchase expensive equipment. Just support the energy suppliers who support green energy such as OVO. You can pay £5 extra a month for Green Gas. Together we can stop energy suppliers like British gas.

If you care about the planet like many of us here, then this would be an interesting read -

https://www.ovoenergy.com/green-gas

https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-fuel-mix

Going off topic but either way, You do not need to buy expensive equipment. Just support the energy suppliers who are trying to help climate change.

Going back to your issue, For now, call OVO and explain the issue and hopefully when next month arrives, you can submit your meter readings 🙂 Or better yet, arrange for an engineer to install smart meters into your home so you do not have to worry about submitting your meter readings manually.
This is way off topic and I'm not sure how that was even brought into it, when my original question was related to how I submit a meter reading and how poor the online offering from OVO is. BTW, I mentioned the expensive equipment as I have gas CH. Clearly, going to a green tariff where electricity is 100% renewable isn't going to prevent me using gas. And unless I install solar powered water heaters (or a ground heat pump) that isn't going to change.

So, while I appreciate that having an electricity tariff that is 100% renewable is great, it's not unique to OVO and it's only part of the solution.

At this particular time though, my aims aren't to save the planet (or to 'stop' British Gas for that matter), they're simply to get some accurate information (which in this day and age shouldn't be too difficult).

And I'd love a smart meter, but it absolutely HAS to be SMETS2. The installation of SMETS1 meters has been a disaster and a complete waste of money. The energy companies that have installed SMETS1 meters have been complicit in a massive waste of peoples money in my opinion. Money that could have been invested in renewable energy infrastructure or improving public transport for people in the North of England (which would have a much bigger impact on reducing harmful emissions than installing obsolete tech).
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
@andrew_clure

Like I have mentioned above. Call OVO this time and I am sure by the next time you need to submit your meter readings. All will be ok 😉

In terms of the SMETS2 meters - https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meter-compatibility-67/when-will-the-new-smart-meters-smets2-be-rolled-out-513

Hopefully this helps
I’ll call but it’ll be to switch again I think.

ive lost all confidence in OVO. A company that can’t even send accurate information about initial meter readings following a switch clearly has problems.

Plus the woeful app and website experience during the switch process (the app may be amazing when an account is up and running but it’s during the switch that you need the correct information) this all means it’s not worth the hassle.

dissapointing that there’s no concrete data on SMETS2 either. I read one forum article before I switched saying it would be mid-2018 when OVO start rolling them out. Who knows??
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
@andrew_clure Sorry to hear you have lost confident.

Maybe there is an actual date set in place but you will have to take a look on the forum to see if it has been announced 🙂
Am nearly at end of switching process and have been sent email requesting meter reading.
Have tried to do what the annoying PDF format letter has asked and logged in using customer number. Keep getting a Webpage with every part 'greyed' out and message saying switch is' on hold'? Assume this is due to the need for the meter reading (as it does not say why it is 'on hold') but none of the functions work to allow submission of meter reading.
Logged in again using email address and got different page showing generic diagram with how a switch works. Every one of the options from the home menu gives the same page but still none of the the functions work??!!.
I can't submit my meter reading to finish the switch which is due to happen on 8/12/18 - 4 days time. I am now concerned and thinking that perhaps I should not cancel my direct debit with EON and stay with them.
There is no online 'help' option, telephone is closed and it is very frustrating to have to create yet another account to get on this forum only to see that several other customers are in the same position.
Userlevel 4
It sounds like your account has been affected by a technical issue, @andrew_clure & @Whites . This is something we're aware of and the team are working really hard to resolve this.

There's other ways you can submit your readings -
  1. Send them in an email to hello@ovoenergy.com
  2. Send them to us over Facebook or Twitter
  3. Call our Customer Care team on 0330 303 5063 - they're available Monday-Friday 8am-6pm.
You won't be at risk of losing your SSR if you contact the team about this!
Yet another email directing me to this forum but no news on my switch?
i had emailed my meter reading as suggested, but just had another email with a link to this forum. Am I going to get a personal reply informing me of what is happening with MY account?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
@Whites as Eva mentioned it sounds like this is related to this known issue

It's worth bearing in mind that this forum is for users to help each other. Your questions seem to be directed at OVO, so it might be best to reach out to them using those contact details Eva outlined above.... Hope it gets sorted quickly!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings