Solved

I switched supplier and now my smart meter readings are much higher - have I read it wrong previously?

• 15 July 2017
  • 1 reply

I left OVO at the end of February, my closing smart meter reading was 0000230.0kwh.

That was the total used from June 2nd 2016 to February 28th 2017. just shy of 9 months.

I switched to Scottish power, and gave them my first manual reading on May the 2nd. This reading from the smart meter was 0002182.0. So in 2 months with SP, I had used around 9x as much as I did in 9 months with OVO. Clearly incorrect, as I am not aware of supplying the Blackpool Illuminations with power...

Now, I contacted Scottish Power, who have basically said either the closing reading from OVO was wrong (although it is consistent with each Smart reading throughout the 9 months) or I am reading my meter wrong.

I just want to clarify the correct way in which to read an OVO smart meter manually? I press 9, the imp kwh shows up, and the number I am getting is the number supplied to SP.

Todays reading is 0002657.1. So thats 500kwh in 2 months... still twice what I used throught my whole time with OVO.

Any one had similar problems, or know what the cause could be, here is my smrt meter as of now (it has gone up by one since 45 minutes ago...)

Thanks in advance!

Chris
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 17 July 2017, 18:16

I left OVO at the end of February, my closing smart meter reading was 0000230.0kwh.

That was the total used from June 2nd 2016 to February 28th 2017. just shy of 9 months.

I switched to Scottish power, and gave them my first manual reading on May the 2nd. This reading from the smart meter was 0002182.0. So in 2 months with SP, I had used around 9x as much as I did in 9 months with OVO. Clearly incorrect, as I am not aware of supplying the Blackpool Illuminations with power...

Now, I contacted Scottish Power, who have basically said either the closing reading from OVO was wrong (although it is consistent with each Smart reading throughout the 9 months) or I am reading my meter wrong.

I just want to clarify the correct way in which to read an OVO smart meter manually? I press 9, the imp kwh shows up, and the number I am getting is the number supplied to SP.

Todays reading is 0002657.1. So thats 500kwh in 2 months... still twice what I used throught my whole time with OVO.

Any one had similar problems, or know what the cause could be, here is my smrt meter as of now (it has gone up by one since 45 minutes ago...)

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Hi @csawf and thanks for reaching out on the forum about this!

It does sound like you’ve been reading the meter wrong when you with with OVO. The only thing I’m basing this on is the usage levels. Bare in mind that the national average for a 3 bedroom semi detached property is around 3200 kWh a year. So 230 kWh after 9 months just doesn’t sound right.

If we’ve closed your account down to a reading around that figure, Scottish Power should have opened to the same figure as well. But we’ll need to change it via a process called a ‘reading dispute’. More info on this here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/meters-and-meter-readings/how-to-dispute-your-opening-and-closing-readings.html.

Another thing I’m not too sure about is why you’re having to read the meter manually in the first place. I’m guessing: bad signal? Either way, I’ll send you a PM in a minute to get some account info and we can talk about an action plan for getting this sorted.

Just an FYI for anyone else, here’s a guide on how to read your smart meter screen: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/payg/smart-payg/how-do-i-read-my-smart-meter-screen.html

Hope this helps,
Tim
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Hi @csawf and thanks for reaching out on the forum about this!

It does sound like you’ve been reading the meter wrong when you with with OVO. The only thing I’m basing this on is the usage levels. Bare in mind that the national average for a 3 bedroom semi detached property is around 3200 kWh a year. So 230 kWh after 9 months just doesn’t sound right.

If we’ve closed your account down to a reading around that figure, Scottish Power should have opened to the same figure as well. But we’ll need to change it via a process called a ‘reading dispute’. More info on this here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/meters-and-meter-readings/how-to-dispute-your-opening-and-closing-readings.html.

Another thing I’m not too sure about is why you’re having to read the meter manually in the first place. I’m guessing: bad signal? Either way, I’ll send you a PM in a minute to get some account info and we can talk about an action plan for getting this sorted.

Just an FYI for anyone else, here’s a guide on how to read your smart meter screen: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/payg/smart-payg/how-do-i-read-my-smart-meter-screen.html

Hope this helps,
Tim