Solved

Can I fix a switching date?

• 26 January 2018
  • 6 replies

I am about a month from the end of the contract with my current supplier and considering switching to Ovo. I am currently on a 12 month fixed contract with my current supplier and want to ensure that the switch over date to Ovo is the the same as the end date for my existing supplier contract. How do I go about ensuring that?
icon

Best answer by Transparent 28 January 2018, 12:20

Hi @Stuart B. I think you commence the application to OVO immediately.

Firstly, it can take around 4 weeks to arrange the transfer date. Once OVO apply to the national register to take over your meter, there are still several checks that have to be made. It is responsibility of the receiving Supplier to verify the details of address and Meter Number, not the Supplier relinquishing your account.

Secondly, I believe there is a six-week period at the end of a Contract, during which your existing Supplier may not levy any Exit-charges. That's why you tend to get calls/emails from Comparison-site companies at that stage. Perhaps an OVO Moderator could confirm this? @Tim_OVO? @Lucy_OVO?

Thirdly, don't worry too much about getting exactly the right changeover date. I've changed Supplier many times, and I usually do a Meter Reading about 3 or 4 days in advance of the agreed contract-change date. I have never been charged for these final few days by the old Supplier.

The reason I take the readings a few days early is to ensure that all parties have an opportunity to query the readings if they think it's markedly different from their estimate.
If your reading is within a few percent of what's expected, it isn't worth the time and money for the original company to insist it is verified.

Hope that helps.
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Stuart B. I think you commence the application to OVO immediately.

Firstly, it can take around 4 weeks to arrange the transfer date. Once OVO apply to the national register to take over your meter, there are still several checks that have to be made. It is responsibility of the receiving Supplier to verify the details of address and Meter Number, not the Supplier relinquishing your account.

Secondly, I believe there is a six-week period at the end of a Contract, during which your existing Supplier may not levy any Exit-charges. That's why you tend to get calls/emails from Comparison-site companies at that stage. Perhaps an OVO Moderator could confirm this? @Tim_OVO? @Lucy_OVO?

Thirdly, don't worry too much about getting exactly the right changeover date. I've changed Supplier many times, and I usually do a Meter Reading about 3 or 4 days in advance of the agreed contract-change date. I have never been charged for these final few days by the old Supplier.

The reason I take the readings a few days early is to ensure that all parties have an opportunity to query the readings if they think it's markedly different from their estimate.
If your reading is within a few percent of what's expected, it isn't worth the time and money for the original company to insist it is verified.

Hope that helps.
Many thanks, big help. Yes had heard there is period at the end of the end of an existing contract that a supplier can no longer charge an exit fee. I too have also switched before for energy and other products but was uncertain on this point. Switch in progress!
Hi, I am switching to Ovo however energy supply date is 7th of June. I wish to bring it forward to 31st of May. I am on online tariff. Not sure how to communicate with OVO regarding this.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @Mona - I've moved your post onto this topic where you can find more information on your query. Hope it helps!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Mona. There are two factors in a switch date being proposed.

A. There needs to be sufficient time for your application to be lodged with the relevant National Meter Database. This is ECOES for electricity and Xoserve for gas. These two independent bodies then send notifications to your existing Energy Supplier(s) and there are time-frames dictated by Ofgem for certain levels of response to be given.

It isn't possible for the new Receiving Supplier to set a switch-date earlier than these time-frames specify. They are there partially to enable checks to be made, such as verifying that the correct meter numbers are being requested, and partially to protect you from a 3rd party fraudulently attempting to take over your energy account(s).

B. Not all switch dates are possible. Energy Suppliers normally open a number of new accounts in a batch. Thus, they might decide to start new accounts on Tuesdays and Thursdays, for example. This is due to internal controls. Every step of the process must be logged and this can be audited by Ofgem on demand.

You can always email Customer Services on hello@ovoenergy.com and state your preference, but please understand that they may not be able to accede to your request.
Thanks Nancy and Transparent, its really helpful xx