Pinned Solved

Can I delay OVO supply start date to stay on my cheap tariff until it expires?

• 15 February 2018
  • 5 replies

My existing supplier's tariff ends on 31st March. Teir new offering is more costly so I have decided to switch. However OVO is too efficient and want to start supplying me from 8th March. Can I delay this to tie in with the end of my existing tariff?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 16 February 2018, 15:59

@idolikeourqueen I've heard of customers scrapping their OVO 'cooling off' period to get an earlier supply start date. But short of delaying starting the switch, I don't think we have the option to delay a supply start date. Generally it's a process that has been refined to be as short as possible, across the industry.

Not to worry though, you won't get any early termination fees for switching supplier, as long as you're within 7 weeks of the end of your contract date. So in this case, you'll be fine!

Tim
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@idolikeourqueen I've heard of customers scrapping their OVO 'cooling off' period to get an earlier supply start date. But short of delaying starting the switch, I don't think we have the option to delay a supply start date. Generally it's a process that has been refined to be as short as possible, across the industry.

Not to worry though, you won't get any early termination fees for switching supplier, as long as you're within 7 weeks of the end of your contract date. So in this case, you'll be fine!

Tim
Tim - My query is nothing at all to do with avoiding Termination Fees. I appreciate that there is a 7 week switching window. My existing tariff is simply better than OVO's new one, but only until 31st March, after which OVO's tariff becomes better.
Is invoking the 14 day cooling off period the only way I can now avoid getting switched on the 8th March? Doing that and then applying to switch to OVO again in 3 weeks time seems a bit drastic, but I will do that if I must.
Regards Edna
Thanks for that info Tim. I am in a similar situation to idolikeourqueen where my existing suppliers tariff ends 31st March and OVO being super efficient have given my switch date as 10th March. There is no option on Uswitch to select a start date like there is when you are looking to change car insurance...which is a shame as would be a good option to have. My concern was with the actual exit fees as the switch would be before my EON contract actually ends so i'm very pleased to hear there is no fee if within 7 weeks of contract ending 😃
I finally found OVO's "hello" email address, and have stopped my switch. Now I know the likely switching timescale I will do another comparison in 3 weeks time. Hopefully OVO's current 12 month fixed tariff will still be available. It's a shame that the switching system doesn't have a bit more flexibility - i.e. the ability (within reason) to choose your preferred supply start date. This issue has caused unnecessary work, both for me and for OVO.
Petty though it may sound, stopping the switch and giving myself another 3 winter weeks on my old tariff will save me about £50
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Sorry @idolikeourqueen - I've tweaked the title so it's clear this isn't about exit fees.

Yes that's the best option - cancelling your switch and starting it again when it's a few weeks short of your contract end date.

Tim