Solved

Will smart meters work if there is a wall between them?

• Newbie*
  • 0 replies
Hello. I started to complete the smart meter application form but got confused by some of the phraseology (is your meter "clear" for instance).
We live in the ground floor flat of a converted building of two flats. Our electricity meter is on the ground floor, by the front door, while our gas meter is on the same level but is on the external wall of the building, in the driveway. Clearly there is a wall or two between one meter and the other.
Can we still have smart meters installed successfully?
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 12 September 2017, 16:46

buzz wrote:

Hello. I started to complete the smart meter application form but got confused by some of the phraseology (is your meter "clear" for instance).
We live in the ground floor flat of a converted building of two flats. Our electricity meter is on the ground floor, by the front door, while our gas meter is on the same level but is on the external wall of the building, in the driveway. Clearly there is a wall or two between one meter and the other.

This is a tricky one, Buzz as it will depend on how thick the walls are and how far the meters are from each other.

We can book in an appointment but if we’re unable to communicate with the smart meters, they’d revert to being a standard meters. We won't know if this will be the case until the installation has gone ahead though, so it's a bit of a gamble.

Feel free to check the availability and book in for an appointment here: http://smart.ovoenergy.com/credit. I’ve also amended the title of your topic slightly so other users can find it a bit easier.

Hope this helps,
Lucy

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 6
buzz wrote:

This is a tricky one, Buzz as it will depend on how thick the walls are and how far the meters are from each other.

We can book in an appointment but if we’re unable to communicate with the smart meters, they’d revert to being a standard meters. We won't know if this will be the case until the installation has gone ahead though, so it's a bit of a gamble.

Feel free to check the availability and book in for an appointment here: http://smart.ovoenergy.com/credit. I’ve also amended the title of your topic slightly so other users can find it a bit easier.

Hope this helps,
Lucy
Userlevel 2
buzz wrote:

Hi buzz,
I can tell you what works without any problems whatsoever in my house, maybe that may help.

Both meters are outside in a meter box and they each are able to receive the cellmast signal to communicate back to OVO. I expect, but am not certain each of them needs to be able to get a mobile phone signal to work. Unless you are located in a "Not-spot" (no signal) I would have thought it would all work ok.

Now I have gone smart I use the OVO website to check my usage....all very convenient.

I have one of those little repeater usage meters in the house which I think may use Bluetooth. That works without problem anywhere in the house.

cheers

Fred
Userlevel 1
Thanks Lucy and Fred!

Not sure what the "gamble" is - if it doesn't work and they have to revert to the original meters, would I be charged something?
Userlevel 7
buzzhunter wrote:

Thanks Lucy and Fred!

Not sure what the "gamble" is - if it doesn't work and they have to revert to the original meters, would I be charged something?

No charge, @buzzhunter. You'll just need to read the meter manually like you did before. Not a gamble, more like a safe bet! ;)

Tim
Userlevel 1
Thanks Tim!
Userlevel 1
Well, I went for it. I booked an installation. Great! Can't wait.

And then I get an email to tall me the installation appointment has been cancelled!

Aaaaarrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Userlevel 6
Oh no! Sorry to hear this @buzzhunter. If you’d like me to find out why the appointment was cancelled, feel free to send me a private message with your name, DoB and OVO account number. ^Lucy
Userlevel 1
Ok. This will be our last ditch attempt to get OVO to do their $%^£$$^ job before we give up and go somewhere else.
We were recommended to go to OVO because, ha ha, they are really reliable.
I attempted to make another booking for Smart Meter installation, the previous one having been cancelled for no apparent reason, and lo and behold this attempt has also now been cancelled.
I am guessing they are seeing the CANCELLED switch which CONTINUES TO SHOW ON OUR ACCOUNT DESPITE MY REQUESTS TO HAVE THESE "MESSAGES" REMOVED AS THEY ARE NOT CORRECT AND ARE PREVENTING THE INSTALLATIONS.
We are totally despairing of OVO. I won't request any more Smart Meter installations until SOMEONE lets us know what is causing the cancellations.
This is driving us to distraction.
Userlevel 1
This is what shows on our account even though we are paying the bills. I assume this is what is stopping our installations.

Userlevel 6
Sorry to see this, @buzzhunter. If you didn't cancel the switch to us, you’ll need to speak to your previous provider to find out what’s happened as it’s likely they’ll have objected to our switch requests.

Keep us update with this.

Lucy
Userlevel 1
Hello Lucy. Thanks. Apologies for the "strong" language but I really was at the end of my tether. Still it looks as if it's going to be sorted (fingers still crossed). I think it all arose initially because the flat we live in is part of a converted Victorian house and my sister, same surname, lives in the first floor flat, and there was some confusion about identity.
I'll let you know how it pans out, but at the moment we have an engineer coming next Thursday to install smart meters. If this gets cancelled I will simply move to some monastery somewhere where they don't use fuel.
Buzz
Userlevel 1
Yay! Smart meters installed yesterday by a lovely bloke called Rory! All up and running so now I can sit and watch the display showing me consumption, so who needs a telly. It all worked out in the end :cool:
Userlevel 6
Fab news @buzzhunter! :)

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close