Solved

Why can't I get a smart meter fitted with a semi concealed gas meter box?

• 30 May 2017
  • 2 replies

I'm told I cannot have a smart meter beciase my standard meter is located outside Electric is in a white box and gas in a brown box I'm trying to get one as I would benifit greatly from one any ideas what can be done?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 1 June 2017, 18:16

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 21/07/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

It sounds like you have a semi-concealed gas meter, meaning it's half dug into the ground.

It is now possible to install an S2 smart meter in the majority of these set-ups, as long as the engineer has a bracket on them to ensure they can fit the meter in to the space provided. When making the booking it just needs to be made clear that you have a semi concealed gas meter box.

In some cases a semi-concealed gas smart meter installation may be affected by an unusual ECV (sometimes replacing the ECV in semi-concealed boxes can be difficult due to the space). If you are worried this may be the case I would advise sending a picture of the meter box to our Support team who’ll be able to check this for you.

There’s more advice about meter issues affecting smart meter installations in our On site work guide.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

And for comparison, here’s a photo of my semi-concealed gas-box with the old meter before the Smart Meter got installed.

dimensions are internal

So, apart from the fact that mine was guarded by a rat, I really can’t see why mine was acceptable for a Smart Meter and @gustavo’s was not!