Solved

Switching from British Gas to OVO Using Current BG Installed Smart Meters

Userlevel 2
Badge
I am considering switching my electricity & gas supplier from British Gas to OVO. I currently have a Smart Meter which was installed by BG. Would this meter continued to be used by OVO (i.e. it wouldn't be necessary to install a completely new meter by OVO)?
If it would continue to be used by OVO, would it be necessary for OVO to change the method of communicating meter readings ( Ithink BG receive reading via mobile phone technology)? Assuming that OVO will need to do something to link my Smart Meter to their systems, would manual readings have to be submitted until such time that the alteration was made?
Thanks in advance
icon

Best answer by CityFlyer 7 September 2017, 13:09

Just spoke to an OVO member of staff re. my question above and below I've briefly explained what would need to happen....

BG fitted Smart Meters would not be able to communicate with OVO for readings etc. Therefore meter readings would have to be given to OVO via email or your account on their website.

If you want to have the functionality that a Smart Meter provides, OVO would have to arrange to install their Smart Meter in your property as was the case with BG.

I know this is absolutely crazy, but, until there is a central database able to communicate across all energy suppliers I'm afraid this is what we have to live with. Apparently this is being worked on, but don't hold your breath!!:?:?

Hope this helps.

View original

46 replies

Userlevel 1
I also want to know the answer to this question :)
Userlevel 2
Badge
Just spoke to an OVO member of staff re. my question above and below I've briefly explained what would need to happen....

BG fitted Smart Meters would not be able to communicate with OVO for readings etc. Therefore meter readings would have to be given to OVO via email or your account on their website.

If you want to have the functionality that a Smart Meter provides, OVO would have to arrange to install their Smart Meter in your property as was the case with BG.

I know this is absolutely crazy, but, until there is a central database able to communicate across all energy suppliers I'm afraid this is what we have to live with. Apparently this is being worked on, but don't hold your breath!!:?:?

Hope this helps.
Userlevel 1
Hello, I'm just about to switch from BG and have one of their smart meters can anyone tell me if it's going to work?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hey @bertimcg I've moved your question here as @CityFlyer already found out the answer!

We have a great 2 year fixed deal at the moment, and as soon as you are on supply you can arrange an appointment to get ours fitted for free so its pretty straight forward.

Here's the link if you decide to go for it. It's worth checking out:

https://switch.ovoenergy.com/get-quote

Darran
Userlevel 1
Hello all,
New user to Forum and new to OVO. I hve a BG smart meter fitted and wondered what will happen to it when I switch suppliers shortly.
Will continue to work with OVO supply or will it be redundant?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hey @Bawn250 Welcome to the forum!

This is a popular question so I've moved your topic over here as this should help!

The link to get your switch started is above!

Any other questions get posting.

Darran
Userlevel 1
I have just switched to Ovo from British Gas. British Gas installed smart meters and an in home display earlier this year, will these be working as smart tech still now I have switched? Thanks.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hey @mfaz Welcome to the forum!

I have moved your question to this topic is its something another user already asked. All the info you need should be on this thread but if you need any further help or advice get posting below.

@CityFlyer nailed it in terms of where the industry is right now, in the future smart meters will be much more compatible, but for now, you'd need to submit readings manually or sign up to get new meters fitted.

Hope this all helps!

Darran
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Right now most energy companies can't read each other's smart meters remotely, it's usually the case whoever you switch to. The meters still work, counting your energy etc, they just can't communicate...

OVO will problee be delighted to fit you with a shine new pair of smart meters for free. Had mine done in January, and they're bloomin' marvelous. The engineers were really nice too...
mfaz wrote:

I have just switched to Ovo from British Gas. British Gas installed smart meters and an in home display earlier this year, will these be working as smart tech still now I have switched? Thanks.

I'm looking for the answer to this question too? Thanks
Userlevel 1
I have just switched to Ovo and they are asking me for opening readings. My previous supplier for both gas and electric was British Gas and they installed smart meters for me. Why do I have to submit meter readings to Ovo now when I presume they have access and can pull the information directly?

If its just an opening reading then fine but will I have to continue giving readings?
Userlevel 1
Hi, I move to ovo on Monday. I have smart meters installed my BGas (landsis gry e470) installed about 6 months ago. Will these work with ovo?
If not can ovo install me a new one?
Also do they charge?
Thanks
Will
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hi @Wstainsby Welcome to the forum and welcome to OVO! Don't forget to add a picture and update your profile to ensure you get the most out of the forum. :)

I have moved your question here as its something a few other users have already asked about.

All the info you need should be here, but if not any other questions please post them below or search the forum to see if you can find the answer.

Great to have you on board on both counts!

Darran
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hey @PaulB30 Great to see you signing up and adding a picture as well!!

Welcome to OVO and to our forum, so good to have you on board.

Although you are Pay as you go, there is a topic here in Pay Monthly that should answer your questions so have a read and if you need anything else get posting below and we can all help you further.

Thanks

Darran
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
@avfth Welcome to the forum! I have moved your question here as a few other customers have asked about this so hopefully all the answers are here!

Let us know if you need any further help, or feel free to reach out to another user on this thread for more advice. You can @ them in a reply or comment if you'd like to ask them directly.

Darran
Userlevel 1
Interesting reading so far...I have a few questions:

What do I do with my current BG smart reader?
Will it still work / provide accurate usage? (apart from cost due to tariff changes)
Can BG still access my information / usage details?
Will OVO install a new one for free?
What are the differences between OVO and BG smart readers!!?

Phew...hopefully someone can give specific answers opposed to a generic answer from the Community Manager :)

David
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hey @Figjamb Welcome to the forum.

This is great thread to post these specific questions on, as there a number of other users going through the same journey you are and we've already managed to answer a number of the questions raised. Hopefully they will be able to give some help and advice here. @stateofit @CityFlyer any advice to offer here?

If you need anything else, we will of course be on hand to answer any other questions you have.

Darran
Userlevel 1
i just switched to ovo from british gas I have a bg smart meter installed will ovo install a new one or can they use the one I have in place?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Welcome to OVO @markd

I have moved your question here, there are few customers already asking about this and the answers have been pretty much covered so this should help you too.

Get posting below if you have any other questions or queries. Both myself and the mods, plus the users I'm sure will be happy to help further.

Darran
I also have a British Gas smart meter fitted. I see from this forum that to get the full functionality that I would have to have this changed to an Ovo smart meter. A couple of questions then:
1) If I decide to keep the BG meter, will this still continue to work to give meter readings that I can then use to update my account with Ovo ?
2) If I decide to update to an Ovo smart meter, what happens a couple of years down the line if I decide to switch supplier again - do you have to keep having new meters supplied with every supplier ?!
Userlevel 1
I've recently switched to OVO from British Gas. British Gas Installed Smart Meters for me a year or so ago and I am now hearing that OVO cant use these. Is that correct?
Hi
I'm just coming back to OVO after a year with British Gas (Dual Fuel). While with BG I had smart meters installed and and in home device which have really helped me save energy.

Will these devices work when my OVO supply starts.

Best wishes

Jane
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hi @Janee Thanks for signing up to our forum!

I've moved your question here as the answer is above on this one. In a nut shell, no your current British Gas Smart Meters will not work when you switch over, but we can get you booked in to get OVO Smart Meters installed so you can continue to benefit from this.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to post.

Hope that helps.

Darran
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
HI @iananderson27

Great to see you joining the forum and posting your question. Its definitely something a lot of users have been asking about and @CityFlyer updated this thread with some good info on this so hopefully that answers your question.

If you need anything else, just post below.

Darran
How can I find out if my British Gas Smart Meter is compatible with Ovo?

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close