Solved

My electricity smart meter LCD screen is blank - Is it broken?

• 9 January 2018
  • 18 replies

My smart meter is blank when I look at it? Last time I looked, which I don't normally, it was to take a reading as they said they couldn't do it from their end, I just read it and they sent a bill for 3 months which it looks like I will be doing again at the beginning of Feb. But it was working then I just took the readings. Is this normal? My IHD appears to be working ok?

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 12 January 2018, 12:02

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 15/12/22 by Emmanuelle_OVO

‘Waking up’ the smart meter screen

The LCD screen on the most smart meters will be blank or 'asleep' until you press a button on the meter (Note - this is different to the screen on the In Home Display), usually pressing any button on the meter will cause the screen to ‘wake up’. 

Taking a reading

For SMETS1 ‘Secure’ smart meters

Press the ‘A’ button on the electricity meter, to wake the screen up and the ‘9’ button (for single rate meters) or ‘6’ (for dual rate meters), it will show IMP KWH on the screen followed by the meter reading.  On the gas meter pressing ‘9’ will show the reading  in both kWh or M^3 (we use the M^3 number). 

For SMETS2 Aclara, Flonidan, Honeywell or Elster smart meters

Aclara (Elec) / Flonidan (Gas) Elster (Elec) / Honeywell (Gas)
Reading the meter
  • Elec: Press A three times until TOU Rate 1 appears.
  • Gas: Press C to wake up, then C to access the menu. Use B to scroll and C to select the reading option.
  • Elec: Press the top button once or twice
  • Gas: Press the circle button once or twice

Meter Screen not ‘waking up’?

If you’re pressing buttons on the meter and the LCD screen is still not showing anything, it sounds like this could be a meter fault. If the smart meters are still in communication this shouldn’t affect the accuracy of your billing which you can confirm by checking the readings we’ve received on the ‘meter readings’ page of your OVO app (download for Android or iOS). We’ll still need to arrange meter replacement to make sure you’re able to read the meter manually, to get this arranged, reach out to the Support Team.

Worried that your meter fault has occurred when your smart meter has lost communication? You can help diagnose this by following the smart meter health check for your meter type below, (bearing in mind that you might not be able to answer all questions). Our Support Team should be able to advise when your meters lost communication. If the engineer who replaces the meters isn’t able to confirm the closing reading of this meter, this will be calculated based on your previous usage pattern.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Thanks Tim, silly question then really, i thought it wasnt working but yes thanks so much.
the screen on the meter is blank and i have lost current usage on my monitor. How do I get them both back?
Userlevel 7
@fin I'll step in here as our other users have gone shy.

The meter screen will go into 'sleep' mode after a while. Press 'B' to wake it up.

As for the In Home Display (IHD) there is an ongoing issue effecting Daily usage figures on My OVO. If this is what's missing, we're working on it!

Tim
Hi I got my smart metre in about 9 months ago with first utility ,I changed too M&S it stopped working they sent someone out too read metre,but still don't work blank screens on gas and electricity what's going on,I have tried Pressing A-9 screen lit but then regect came on then went blank again any ideas thanks ray
Hi has Tim gone silent lol
Userlevel 5
Hey @Rayyoung,

Sounds like it stopped working when you moved to M&S as it may not have been a compatible model of smart meter. If that's the case, we might not have connected with it and loaded it onto our systems either.

Probably needs a bit more investigation, though. Drop the team on Facebook a message with your account number, full name and DoB and they'll be able to check everything's running smoothly.

Nancy
Hi,
I have been asked to supply my electric and gas meter readings.
Gas I can read no problem but the electric meter despite me pressing various buttons on it remains blank.
I do have electricty though...
Both meters were originally installed by SSE. In fact, I had a smart meter (which I found was pointless as I was still asked to manually supply readings which was annoying).
Anyway, back to my original question.
How can I get to see my elec meter reading?
Thanks
our gas meter has gone blank, who is responsible for fixing it.
have e-mailed ovo but have had no reply for 6 weeks .how long will estimates be used
Userlevel 5
It sounds like you've got a faulty meter, @Foo.

As you can't read the meter, we'll need to estimate the readings for now.

You've got 2 options to resolve this:
  1. You could have one of our smart meters installed, you can arrange an appointment here. However if you had to manually submit readings before, this suggests there was an issue with the signal in your area. You may have to do the same with us, but the engineer will test the signal before installing the meters.
  2. We could arrange a traditional meter exchange, the usual time frame for this is 17 working days. You'll need to call our Customer Care team to arrange this, they're available weekdays 8am-6pm on 0330 303 5063.
Once the meter has been exchanged, the engineer will send us the removal reading. We'll use this to accurately re-bill you for your energy.

Let us know what option you decide to go for! 😊
Userlevel 5
our gas meter has gone blank, who is responsible for fixing it.

I know the initial query is about the electric meter, @peterperfect, but the answer would still apply for you.

The only thing that's worth noting, is if you book a smart meter exchange - both your electric and gas meter will be exchanged.

The display on my smart gas meter is completely blank. The electricity meter appears to be working ok but the in home display just shows a few pence all day. Looking at the usage on the app, it's just adding 5 units to the gas usage and 18 to the electricity usage each day. Although there is a reading on the electricity meter,  it's not what's recorded as our usage.  Any help or ideas please. Thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I assume therefore that your gas supply is OK?

Does your gas meter display stay blank when you touch one of the numeric keys?

Can you check your usage online to see what is recorded on the website, does this agree with your IHD, the electricity should but the gas will be slightly different due to variations in calorific value

Yes the supply is ok. I  haven't touched anything on the gas meter. It just has 3 red buttons underneath the display screen. 

The usage online just adds 5 units a day for gas and 18 for electricity. The electricity usage on the app is much lower than what's showing on the meter. 

The  IHD isn't working properly or receiving data. It shows 0.06p all day and no actual usage amounts. 

Thank you for replying

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Looks like you have a SMETS2 meter; to read the gas meter then, press the left hand button, this should give you a display something like 000999.123 M3 so that is the reading in cubic meters.

How recently have your meters been installed?

Ok I'll give it a go. Installed March 2019. 

I've pressed the button and the reading is there. It's actually exactly what the reading history says so it increases 5 units a day. And the electricity usage seems ok although the reading is higher than it says. The only thing that seems not to be working properly is the IHD. Which isn't a huge problem really. 

I suppose as we are staying in and doing exactly the same every day there won't be a great deal of change in usage.

Thanks for your help. Stay safe. 🌈

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ah, this is interesting @JennieRenebabe 

So if I understand this, your usage data is being reported correctly to your MyOVO page online, but incorrectly to your IHD. Is that right?

Have a look at this other Topic where another customer and I have been discussing something similar. In their case it’s just the readings from one of their meters not being reflected in the IHD display.