Solved

I have smart meters already - do I need yours fitted?

Show first post

30 replies

Userlevel 1
I am happy to read the meter every month - its not difficult. I will wait awhile until the new smart Meters come out before upgrading/changing
If I have a Smart meter already installed with a in house display which was fitted by my previous energy supplier, will I have to have new meters fitted or just an "IN H0USE DISPLAY UNIT" when OVO install one
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
meandher wrote:

If I have a Smart meter already installed with a in house display which was fitted by my previous energy supplier, will I have to have new meters fitted or just an "IN H0USE DISPLAY UNIT" when OVO install one

Hey meandher,

I’ve moved your topic over here as I’m hoping you’ll find what you’re looking for on this thread. :)

Lucy
I understand that the original smart meters were generally supplier specific and if you swapped supplier then the meter was not compatible and the new supplier wouldn't be able to receive readings.

I understand from Ofgem that 2nd generation meters were being rolled out from Autumn 2017 and these are supposed to be cross supplier compatible.

Does anyone have any experience of these ?

It seems pointless to have a Smart Meter if it is not compatible with other suppliers.

I asked the question to OVO Customer Service but just got a standard reply that they make life easier and "could" be compatible if a moved supplier.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey @Johnr08

Thanks for posting! I've moved your query over to our existing smart meter discussion. Just take a look at the comments above. :D

Cheers,
Emily

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close