Solved

How do I take a meter reading on a British Gas Smart Meter to give them to OVO?

• 2 October 2017
  • 8 replies

I have read your comments about British Gas smart meters. My question is how do I get my readings off them to give to you?

icon

Best answer by Charlieapps1 3 October 2017, 22:17

View original

8 replies

we are changing to ovo.we have british gas smart meters.i have read the posts here but none tell me how to read the meters so I can send you my readings .please help

Updated on 03/11/23 by Abby_OVO

Got a Landis and Gyr meter installed by British Gas? - We’ve got a guide to help you work out whether your meter is first (S1) or second generation (S2).

You can take a reading from these electricity meters by pressing the A button - this will scroll through the menu options when the screen shows “Rate 01 Act Imp” this screen will show your reading - press the A button again if you’ve got a dual rate meter, this will show your second reading.

On a Landis and Gyr gas meter press the red button - once the screen has woken up (it should say “Credit on”) press the red button again to show the gas meter reading.

If you have an SMETS1 meter this may not be instantly compatible, so you may have to provide manual meter readings in the meantime - you can submit these on the ‘Meter Readings’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS).

All SMETS1 meters are due to be remotely upgraded to SMETS2 functionality, you can find more about this (including the time frame for when this should be completed for your meter type) here.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Hi, I'm a new OVO customer as of last week. I tried to send my meter readings to you, but my smart meter (fitted by my previous supplier British Gas) has stopped working. It display's 'trying to connect to meters'. I was able to get my electricity meter reading from the meter, but when I checked my gas meter, it was blank. The gas supply is working. Is this something you (OVO) can help with?
p.s. I have sent a separate request/email via your site.
Wish to supply you with my readings to enable you to transfer from British Gas
Userlevel 7
Hi, I'm a new OVO customer as of last week. I tried to send my meter readings to you, but my smart meter (fitted by my previous supplier British Gas) has stopped working. It display's 'trying to connect to meters'. I was able to get my electricity meter reading from the meter, but when I checked my gas meter, it was blank. The gas supply is working. Is this something you (OVO) can help with?
p.s. I have sent a separate request/email via your site.

Check out @Charlieapps1's link on how to do this, @jeffmaddin

Likewise @Barry Woodman

Tim
Hello I have read the instructions but I do not have a red button, just a Green one with a capaital A underneath it. I scroll thourh but can only get my electric reading, how do I get my gas, this is from the unit thing they put in under our stairs, the physical smart meter doesn't work at all now.

Can you advise how to get a gas reading, failing that I would like someone to come out and take my readings.

Any help appreciated.

TY

Ellejay
Userlevel 7
Check out the 'Best answer' (at the top) to view the guide on how to read your BG smart meter manually @eLLEjAY25

If this doesn't help, post a picture of the meter here and someone will advise :$

Tim

Updated on 16/10/20: See the page linked below for how to read your smart meter from British Gas. Upgrades of SMETS1 smart meters are happening in 2020 and 2021. You’ll be contacted when yours is being upgraded. 

Use this - did exactly what you need to yesterday.
http://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and-advice/Meters-meter-readings/Smart-Meters/getting-and-using-smart-meters/How-do-I-take-a-reading-from-my-gas-and-electric-smart-meters.html

Thank yoг for the guide, helped a lot