Solved

Will I still be able to read my gas smart meter if it was installed by my old supplier?

• 28 November 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi all,

I recently moved to OVO and they replaced my electricity smart meter. This is all working fine and it submits its own readings as it should. The installation team did not replace my gas smart meter as their version would not fit. I therefore still have a smart meter (fitted by British Gas) but I have no means of reading it as it doesn't have numbers or dials. (currently all my gas bills are estimated). Please can someone advise what I should do? Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 29 November 2018, 13:17

Hey @ALGY56,

You can find instructions on how to get a reading from this type of meter on British Gas' website, here.

Unfortunately their model of smart meter isn't compatible with OVO systems. A lot of other suppliers use the same model of smart meter as we do, meaning we can connect to them when you transfer.

Sounds like there's either not enough space for our gas smart meter to be fitted, or the setup might need altering before we can exchange it. If you're happy to, feel free to post some pictures in here so we can have a closer look for you.

Cheers,
Nancy
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
@ALGY56 Did they explain if they are able to fit a smart meter with a different model (If there is one)?
No. They just said it wouldn’t fit and left!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
How odd. I am not sure what else can be done if I am truly honest. You may have to stick with estimated 😞
Userlevel 6
Hey @ALGY56,

You can find instructions on how to get a reading from this type of meter on British Gas' website, here.

Unfortunately their model of smart meter isn't compatible with OVO systems. A lot of other suppliers use the same model of smart meter as we do, meaning we can connect to them when you transfer.

Sounds like there's either not enough space for our gas smart meter to be fitted, or the setup might need altering before we can exchange it. If you're happy to, feel free to post some pictures in here so we can have a closer look for you.

Cheers,
Nancy
Hi Nancy,

OK now I know how to read it. The question is whether you will understand it if I give it to you?

Cheers,

Niki
Userlevel 6
There's only one way to find out, @ALGY56, send them on over! 😀