Solved

Why is my SMETS2 gas meter not sending readings?

Show first post

105 replies

I did receive a call from OVO today who said that they had done something behind the scenes on their system and that I should shortly see the gas meter reads, but I will wait and see… they are calling me back on Monday to check.

Thanks @Tim_OVO and @Transparent for your input.

Hello,

I had a SMETS2 Electricity and Gas meter installed a couple of weeks ago. The electric meter is sending readings, but the gas meter is not. What is the point of having a smart meter if it is dumb and I have to keep sending in readings for it? I had an email from OVO to say they were going to take daily readings, but the gas meter is still not sending readings. Please can you help. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Howdy @marilyn53 !

Sorry about the trouble there. Do you remember exactly when your Smart Meters were installed by any chance? If you could provide us with a few photos as well, that helps me to double check exactly what you’ve got - sometimes we can provide a few extra tips that depend on what they are.

It can take up to six weeks for newly installed Smart Meters to fully commission, for which the clock usually starts on the date they’re first installed. This allows time for the meters to be registered with OVO and with the DCC, download and install any pending firmware updates, pull down the config settings (such as your tariff rates) and do a bunch of other self-tests in the background. It has been known for electricity meters to rapidly start sending in meter readings, but gas meters tend to need more time as they only wake up and perform a heartbeat roughly every 30 minutes or so - any faster than that could drain the internal battery a lot sooner than it should. This can result in the gas meter taking longer to start communicating with OVO.

With that being said though, there’s definitely a couple of things I can help you to check, just to make sure the gas meter is definitely talking to the Comms Hub above the electric meter. I’ll walk you through those once I know what you’ve got.

Hope this helps! We’ll be here if you need us. :)

Thank you for your reply. I have now spoken to someone at OVO and they are sending someone out to look at the meter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You’re welcome.

Hopefully the engineer can figure out what’s happening and get things kickstarted. You never know, it might be an easy fix if you’re lucky!

If you ever need help again, you’re more than welcome to stop by anytime and we’ll be here if you need us. :)