Solved

Why is my smart meter In-Home Display usage cost figure frozen?

• 15 December 2018
  • 19 replies

My smartmeter has been reading £1.08 since yesterday. Clearly something is wrong. Any ideas what's going on and how to resolve it?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Richie616 18 December 2018, 06:16

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 5
We might need a bit more information on this, @Richie616. If you can upload a photo of where on the smart meter (or maybe it's the In-Home Display?) you can see £1.08, we might be able to help. @Transparent and @ITGeek123 are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to smart meters.

Cheers

Updated on 22/05/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

I have turned it off / back on, seems to have done the trick. Thanks anyway.

As this original poster found, sometime a simple restart of your In-Home Display is enough to get the usage data displaying correctly. If this doesn’t help there may be some communication issues  either between the IHD and that meter or between the Smart Meter and OVO.

Here’s some things which can cause communication issues between your IHD and your Smart Meter:

• Distance: make sure your In Home Display is near your electricity meter - ideally within 6 metres. If it’s not connected or isn't showing usage data, move it closer!
  • Obstructions: Is there anything that could be blocking the signal between the IHD and the meters? (eg an exterior wall)
  • Firmware: there might be a firmware issue with the IHD or smart meter, that’s causing connectivity issues (our Support Team can help get this updated)

For more help see our Chameleon IHD guide for S1 meters or S2 meters or our Pipit IHD guide.

You can check whether this error message indicates a communication issue between OVO and your Smart Meter, by logging in to your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS)- Check out the advice given on this great guide for help on the next steps if you identify any issues.

Hope you get these initial teething problems resolved quickly so you can start enjoying the benefits of your new Smart meters.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 5
Ah the old on and off again!

Our IHD is frozen.   It is stuck on a time with a gas icon and a phone number to call.   Can it be rebooted?

Userlevel 4

Hey @nickgr, without wanting to sound too cliche, have you tried turning it off and on again? Seems to have worked for @Richie616 here!

If this doesn’t work, I’d get in touch with the team on 0330 303 5063 when you’re at home and we can troubleshoot this with you.

Thanks,

Ed

Hi, the problem was the on/off button had no effect, regardless if long press etc.   i.e. screen was frozen.

I left it unplugged, discharged the battery.  Plugged back in and now working ok.

ta

Userlevel 5

Glad to hear it @nickgr! Thanks for letting us know :)

My in home appliance has frozen lunchtime today.  I’ve tried switching off and on to no avail. It has been off for several hours, and was low on battery. There  has been no change. 
any suggestions please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Ruth70 ,

Can you post photos of it please? I might have some solutions or options for you.

Hi

Thanks for quick response. Just gone and looked and it is now working. 
What a day for it to happen! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hehehe, no worries! I’m glad it’s working again.

Let us know if you need us again for anything. :)

Feel a fool. 
I’ve had issues before but was able to switch off and on to sort them. It’s never frozen before!

With all the hype about today I was panicking 🙈🙈

Userlevel 2

Hi I have received my new smart meter and Chameleon IHD smart monitor in Thursday just gone. Yesterday it was all up and running until it got to about 6.30pm and hadn't changed with the price of what I have used so far and it's not responding to if anything being used inu home. So there doesn't seem to be a reset button,, can anyone help please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Viv1966 , being new it will take a little time to sort itself out. You could try unplugging for a few minutes and then plugging back in or even moving the IHD closer to the smart meter if possible. 
Which IHD did you get ?

Userlevel 2

Hi @BPLightlog  yes have unplugged a few times and I have it now nearer the smart meter. The only thing I haven't done is taken it outside and stood next to the smart meter. It's a Chameleon IHD 7 I have looked through the tutorial on the  iHD monitor ....it's showing the correct time and signal is quite low at times, would that be something to do with it? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @BPLightlog  yes have unplugged a few times and I have it now nearer the smart meter. The only thing I haven't done is taken it outside and stood next to the smart meter. It's a Chameleon IHD 7 I have looked through the tutorial on the  iHD monitor ....it's showing the correct time and signal is quite low at times, would that be something to do with it? 

It could be. There’s the Chameleon product page here but they say the same things I think.

https://chameleontechnology.co.uk/inhomedisplayhelp/

Userlevel 2

Hi @BPLightlog just to let you know I read someone else's issue regarding the IHD similar problem...they said there is a 10 second reboot ..so have done that seems to be up and running again now. Thanks for your help 

Userlevel 2

Hi @BPLightlog  thanks for the downloadable info this is really useful there is more info here than in the tutorials 

Userlevel 2

@BPLightlog like what to do if there is an issue etc..brilliant just what I need thanks