Solved

Why is my In Home Display only displaying gas usage?

• 13 December 2018
  • 66 replies

My Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) is only displaying my gas usage and not electricity. Signal is good and everything else is working ok but electricity usage is not showing. Any ideas please

icon

Best answer by Beth_OVO 14 December 2018, 12:58

View original

66 replies

Userlevel 6

I’ve popped you post here, @derbyphil. the above thread teamed with @Transparent’s expert advice, should put you in good stead!

:relaxed:

Userlevel 7

Hi @MikeG - wowza your topic now has over 10,000 views!

Any advice on how you sorted this, that you could offer to @parekhd on this topic? Very similar issue to yours….

Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Hi @DK1083. Although you haven't yet filled out your Forum Profile to say where you live, I'm assuming you are in the South or Central regions of England, or Wales. If that's correct, then I'm also going to assume that the meters recently installed are of the SMETS2 variety.

There's more recent information about the IHD giving erroneous information over here on another Topic about SMETS2 Installations.

The link takes you to a message which I posted yesterday. Make sure you read the reply from @Darran_OVO lower down because this explains why he needed to edit my original post.

Post here again if you want further information about your IHD, or on the other Topic if you need clarification about the overall Smart Meter installation. That will help others who come across your messages in future.
Thanks Again

Email sent
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @derbyphil and welcome to the Forum.

What you’re experiencing is not unusual. There’s quite a lot more off-site work to fully commission your new Smart Meters once the Installer leaves site. There used to be around 5 weeks interval before everything was operational, but most customers report this is now reduced.

When the equipment is first linked up on-site, your In Home Device (IHD) picks up the default tariff information from  your Communications Hub so that you can be shown how it operats. However your real tariff costs don’t get downloaded until much later.

Equally there will be software upgrades applied both by OVO and the various hardware manufacturers. Any of these might leave your system partially operational until the final testing is done.

Check online on your My OVO page to see if this is yet reflecting the actual tariff costs that you signed up for.

And then have a look at the Topic about SMETS2 Installation where there’s lots more background information. 

We had our Ovo Smart Meter fitted about 3 weeks ago and all was good until a few days ago - now the in home display only seems to be showing the gas usage, it has no electricity info on display at all and there seems to be no way to get it back.

The electricity usage seems to be logging on the Ovo app ok - it’s just the display unit that’s not picking it up. I’ve tried moving it nearer to the meter but that made no difference.

Pressing the ‘Now’ or energy select buttons has no effect either.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Hi @emfreeb. Firstly it's not unusual to have missing data on the IHD so soon after the on-site installation has occurred.

I don't know which territory you're in so I don't want to confuse matters by providing technical explanations which may not match your meter hardware. (But please complete your Forum Profile anyway because that's where I look for such information!).

Check your online My OVO page and see whether both meters are delivering data to OVO themselves. At that point, if the IHD still doesn't have electricity readings then you'll be able to notify Customer Services.
Had my smart meters fitted today. The bloke said that the gas should show on my ihd after 2 hours. He left here at around 11.30 and it's still not showing?
Userlevel 5
@Hayley w - Have a read of the answers here if you're still not seeing your gas usage on your IHD.

Thanks,
Ed
Many thanks.
Just curious.
Regards

Okay, here goes... Smart meters installed in June 2019, except they weren't commissioned until January 2020. Since then my meter readings are being sent hourly to OVO and my usage is visible online after 24 hours, but my IHD is only showing gas usage. I've asked the helpline , about showing electricity usage on the IHD and after 16 days advised that they'd requested my IHD's firmware to be refreshed and I should wait 48 hours and turn my IHD off and on. I've tried this but after 3 days nothing has changed and I'm looking to try and resolve this before the anniversary of the installation (although maybe I'll get a prize for the longest smart meter installation?) Can anyone suggest a solution?

Hi Transparent. Thanks for the reply. The Gas led flashes with high frequency. The rest all flash once occasionally.
Steve

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @TimothyFinn and welcome to the Forum.

There are many OVO customers presently reporting loss of data from Smart Meters. I collated a list of the main categories over here a month ago.

It’s also worthwhile reading through this other Topic about missing gas readings because OVO’s responses to a customer are being discussed.

By all means send an email to them but I’m also going to tag @Tim_OVO so that he add your report here to the growing list.

Please check your online Usage graphs and the indicator LEDs on your Communications Hub. Post here again if there are also faults/errors in either of these locations.

The smart meter is giving me data for gas, but I get a message stating Elec data unavailable?
Userlevel 7
The smart meter is giving me data for gas, but I get a message stating Elec data unavailable?

Have a read of this topic @Debsnape - sounds like the issue Beth advised on in the 'best answer'...
Had Smart meter fitted.
Gas reading is live but no Electricity.
Any advice?
Regards Mike
Userlevel 1
I have only had my Smart Meters for a couple of months and already the IHD is malfunctioning. I cannot see any current usage information for either gas or electricity and although the display is showing the gas symbol I'm not convinced it's actually doing anything. I can see historical information but again, I have no confidence this is accurate.
I have contacted OVO and was told that there is a fault which technicians are working on but that was several days ago. Since then there is less information on the display than there was previously and I have had no further contact from OVO.
And before anyone suggests it; yes, I have unplugged the unit and plugged it in again with no effect.

19/6/19: Smart meter now appears to be working normally again but I've had no response or explanation from OVO either on here or in response to phone call. Can I trust the meter? Who knows.... Not impressed.

Okay, here goes... Smart meters installed in June 2019, except they weren't commissioned until January 2020. Since then my meter readings are being sent hourly to OVO and my usage is visible online after 24 hours, but my IHD is only showing gas usage. I've asked the helpline , about showing electricity usage on the IHD and after 16 days advised that they'd requested my IHD's firmware to be refreshed and I should wait 48 hours and turn my IHD off and on. I've tried this but after 3 days nothing has changed and I'm looking to try and resolve this before the anniversary of the installation (although maybe I'll get a prize for the longest smart meter installation?) Can anyone suggest a solution?

ISSUE GOT SOLVED!!

Userlevel 1
I have only had my Smart Meters for a couple of months and already the IHD is malfunctioning. I cannot see any current usage information for either gas or electricity and although the display is showing the gas symbol I'm not convinced it's actually doing anything. I can see historical information but again, I have no confidence this is accurate.
I have contacted OVO and was told that there is a fault which technicians are working on but that was several days ago. Since then there is less information on the display than there was previously and I have had no further contact from OVO.
And before anyone suggests it; yes, I have unplugged the unit and plugged it in again with no effect.
Userlevel 6

I'm so sorry your query was missed, @DK1083, but it's good to hear the IHD has now been updated.

Communication between us and the meters may be intermittent which is why your usage wasn't showing.

We'd be happy to look into this, we'll need to ask a few questions to determine what the problem is. Can you send us a message on Facebook with your name, DoB and account number? If you don't use social media, you can message the team on webchat via the Help Centre.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I wonder how it got solved @TimothyFinn ?

Since it happened over the weekend, I rather doubt it was from deliberate manual intervention.

There are all sorts of bugs with “data loss” that seem to mysteriously correct themselves. That’s going to make it very difficult for OVO’s programmers to track down what’s happening.

For example see this comment from a Smart Meter Engineer about a fault that went away when he sent a Read-Command to the meter.

Userlevel 1
Not too sure what you want me to message you about. The IHD is working again now.
Userlevel 7

Had someone round this morning (9/1/19) to fit a new ovo smart meter, the electric seems to be displaying the price fine, but the gas dosnt

There could be a number of things that's causing this@aza23 , like the IHD being too far from the new gas meter, or the gas meter not linked up with us yet.

Reach out to our Customer Care team for this to be checked, if it's still an issue of course!

- Send over a PM via Facebook.
- A DM via Twitter: @OVOEnergy
- Message us on webchat via the Help Centre.