Solved

Why is my In Home Display only displaying gas usage?

• 13 December 2018
  • 66 replies

My Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) is only displaying my gas usage and not electricity. Signal is good and everything else is working ok but electricity usage is not showing. Any ideas please

icon

Best answer by Beth_OVO 14 December 2018, 12:58

View original

66 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oh dear @SteveP68 That's an Error-State being reported on the GPF (Gas Proxy).

The remedy, as listed in DCC's Guide, is

Retry adding Device to GPF Device Log.
Wait 60 seconds then perform reset of Comms Hub

This action can only be taken by OVO's SMETS2 Team. It's most likely that this can be achieved remotely, without a site visit.

Send a message on webchat via the Help Centre, and feel free to point the Customer Services staff to this Forum post.

Thanks Again

Email sent
So had our meters installed two days ago. Got up this morning and we have no electricity information on the ihd, gas is fine. If I toggle on the buttons it does nothing almost as if electric has just disappeared.

tried turning off and on but no luck
Userlevel 6

Hey @MickG

It sounds like be a communication issue with the meter and the IHD, so it may also be worth checking with the Customer Service team on webchat via the Help Centre, or messaging the  Facebook or  Twitter team to see!

We may get you to carry out a quick survey; your answers will help us work out what’s causing the problem! Here are the questions you'll be asked:

On the electricity meter, can you confirm if the middle of the 3 red lights (labeled as WAN) near the top left of the meter is flashing or solid? In the bottom right hand corner of the gas smart meter screen, there is a HAN symbol. The symbol itself will either be; flashing or solid. Can you tell me which?

When you press 0 on the keypad of both meters, can you tell us if the meter display begins to cycle through various screens; starting with the date and time, or displays the phrase 'COMMISSION - YES OR NO'?

Thanks,
Beth

Welcome to the forum, @emfreeb, check out the above best answer!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Hi @emfreeb. Firstly it's not unusual to have missing data on the IHD so soon after the on-site installation has occurred.

I don't know which territory you're in so I don't want to confuse matters by providing technical explanations which may not match your meter hardware. (But please complete your Forum Profile anyway because that's where I look for such information!).

Check your online My OVO page and see whether both meters are delivering data to OVO themselves. At that point, if the IHD still doesn't have electricity readings then you'll be able to notify Customer Services.

Noticed the other day that Gas usage is no longer being shown on the in house unit although the usage on the web page still looks good.

How can I fix this??

Well, Well Well. 6 months now and still no electricity showing on IHD.

What a useless article.

Makes a mockery of the whole idea and yes I have moved IHD, reset IHD, nothing.

Userlevel 7

See the comments above, @Pmkgov ^^^

Userlevel 6

Take a look at this topic, @Piper Mike, there’s a chance your IHD could be affected by the same issue.

I had smart meters fitted this March.  For the first month the IHD dispayed info on both gas and electric accounts.  Suddenly it reverted to just displaying gas info.  It made no difference bringing the IHD closer to the smart meters,

I followed all the checking instructions from OVO including rebooting etc.  They confirmed that the smart meters were communicating ok with OVO but obviously not properly with my IHD.  I was told that I was not alone in this problem but they would come back to me with suggestions.  Sadly, they have not done so.

No one has explained to me why everything worked fine for a month.  Why do I get info on gas usage but not now on electric?  For me, the electric usage is far more important.  I only have a gas boiler but numerous electrical appliances.

I suspect I have a faulty IHD but replacing that device has not been suggested.  One of the reasons I chose OVO was its good customer service.  Forgive me for feeling a bit sceptical about that rating.  I feel disappointed and let down by the service that I have been given thus far.

Still no Electricity reading for me. Smart meters are complete waste of time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi again @Piper Mike and you’re not alone in seeing the loss of some data. Lots of customers with Smart Meters have been seeing missing data in a variety of places during the past month (April ‘20). I collated a list of these errors here at the beginning of the month.

Have look also at my lengthier explanation on this other Topic about missing gas data.

There is no obvious pattern to these errors emerging as yet. Whilst some could be faulty communications with the IHD, that couldn’t account for customers who are observing data missing from the online Usage stats on their MyOVO page.

Until OVO’s SMETS Engineering Team can start doing further testing, the Forum Moderator @Tim_OVO is collating these reports for their attention.

Okay, here goes... Smart meters installed in June 2019, except they weren't commissioned until January 2020. Since then my meter readings are being sent hourly to OVO and my usage is visible online after 24 hours, but my IHD is only showing gas usage. I've asked the helpline , about showing electricity usage on the IHD and after 16 days advised that they'd requested my IHD's firmware to be refreshed and I should wait 48 hours and turn my IHD off and on. I've tried this but after 3 days nothing has changed and I'm looking to try and resolve this before the anniversary of the installation (although maybe I'll get a prize for the longest smart meter installation?) Can anyone suggest a solution?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @TimothyFinn and welcome to the Forum.

There are many OVO customers presently reporting loss of data from Smart Meters. I collated a list of the main categories over here a month ago.

It’s also worthwhile reading through this other Topic about missing gas readings because OVO’s responses to a customer are being discussed.

By all means send an email to them but I’m also going to tag @Tim_OVO so that he add your report here to the growing list.

Please check your online Usage graphs and the indicator LEDs on your Communications Hub. Post here again if there are also faults/errors in either of these locations.

Okay, here goes... Smart meters installed in June 2019, except they weren't commissioned until January 2020. Since then my meter readings are being sent hourly to OVO and my usage is visible online after 24 hours, but my IHD is only showing gas usage. I've asked the helpline , about showing electricity usage on the IHD and after 16 days advised that they'd requested my IHD's firmware to be refreshed and I should wait 48 hours and turn my IHD off and on. I've tried this but after 3 days nothing has changed and I'm looking to try and resolve this before the anniversary of the installation (although maybe I'll get a prize for the longest smart meter installation?) Can anyone suggest a solution?

ISSUE GOT SOLVED!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I wonder how it got solved @TimothyFinn ?

Since it happened over the weekend, I rather doubt it was from deliberate manual intervention.

There are all sorts of bugs with “data loss” that seem to mysteriously correct themselves. That’s going to make it very difficult for OVO’s programmers to track down what’s happening.

For example see this comment from a Smart Meter Engineer about a fault that went away when he sent a Read-Command to the meter.

Userlevel 5

Hi. This isn't really a problem but I am just wondering why it's happening!?

What used to happen is my IHD used to lose both gas and electric meter usage readings and the display used to show "waiting for current data"

My IHD used to be like this for days!

What happens now is every few days only my gas meter usage goes blank and it usually comes back within a few hours.

Does anyone know why this happens as my gas smart meter was only fitted 10 months ago and I am under the impression that the battery lasts around 10 years.

Just to say that my SW, WAN, HAN and GAS lights are blinking on my electric meter every few seconds so I don't think there is a problem with the 2 meters communicating with each other !?

Cheers 

Userlevel 5

Hey @Mikeovo, I’ve moved your questions over here.

You’re essentially experiencing the opposite - it’s only showing electricity, not gas.

The explanation is most likely the same though, it’s probably due to a connection issue with the meter.

Beth’s response is very helpful for this situation:

It sounds like be a communication issue with the meter and the IHD, so it may also be worth checking with the Customer Service team on webchat via the Help Centre, or messaging the  Facebook or  Twitter team to see!

We may get you to carry out a quick survey; your answers will help us work out what’s causing the problem! Here are the questions you'll be asked:

On the electricity meter, can you confirm if the middle of the 3 red lights (labeled as WAN) near the top left of the meter is flashing or solid? In the bottom right hand corner of the gas smart meter screen, there is a HAN symbol. The symbol itself will either be; flashing or solid. Can you tell me which?

When you press 0 on the keypad of both meters, can you tell us if the meter display begins to cycle through various screens; starting with the date and time, or displays the phrase 'COMMISSION - YES OR NO'?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Erm… sorry to put a damper on this explanation @Ed_OVO.

The problem we are seeing appears to be related to customers being migrated across to the new Billing System.

Unlike before, it is now the Billing System itself which sends the commands to customer’s Smart Meters. There’s something awry with the command sequence or the protocols used around them which results in missing data.

Have a look at this other Topic, where an OVO Engineer (Ben) has manually sent the correct XREAD command to a customer’s meter, with the result that her IHD now displays the correct time! He doesn’t understand why/how this can be so. Nor can he pursue the investigation because the fault has “gone away”.

We need a round-table (online) discussion between the programmers, Smart Meter Engineers and us customers who are reporting missing data.

In your situation @Mikeovo there’s a possibility that they might be able to use your Communications Hub to run a test. Unlike most of the rest of us, your site is suffering data-loss on the IHD which comes and goes at intervals of a few days.

I’m just tagging @Tim_OVO so that he notes this point and can raise it with the relevant engineers.

Userlevel 5

That’s a very good point, @Transparent, thanks for including all the information you’ve gathered over the various topics!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If I’m the one keeping score @Ed_OVO, then my fee is one pint of Real Ale for each Topic I flag up as being part of the “missing data” issue :slight_smile::beer::beer::beer:

Userlevel 5

Hey @Mikeovo, I’ve moved your questions over here.

You’re essentially experiencing the opposite - it’s only showing electricity, not gas.

The explanation is most likely the same though, it’s probably due to a connection issue with the meter.

Beth’s response is very helpful for this situation:

Hi. Sorry for the delay replying.

I am back in work this week after 2 months on furlough !

Do you still want me to carry out the quick survey mentioned in your quoted post in light of what @Transparent said about it being a communication problem with the migration to the new billing system ?

Many thanks

Userlevel 6

There’s no harm in us checking, @Mikeovo!