Solved

Why does my new In-Home Display (IHD) keep flashing & restarting after I called to get it paired to my smart meters?

• 14 October 2021
  • 21 replies

Hi All,

Wondering if someone could perhaps assist or know more detail?

I received a brand new IHD today (Moved into a property that already had a smets2 smart meter) and tried to call care to try assist

When I got the meter, it appeared to be linked to someone elses profile or a dummy account as its readings were waaay too high 

I called through to try link everything up (IHDr was fine before then) and the guy asked for my GUID, asked me to join network and said it’s all sorted after making me stand outside with the IHD

The signal bar in the top left now keeps flashing and the device seems to now reboot every 2-3 minutes 

I tried calling back and immediately got dismissed and treated like an idiot (complaint raised for that) as the guy suggested the IHD is faulty (It was completely fine prior to OVO asking me to join the network)

To assist, the IHD is inside, directly behind the gas/electric box (probably a meter with the external wall)

The HAN light blinks every 3 seconds with the SW and WAN lights blinking thereafter simultaneously

Surely it can’t be the IHD as it’s literally brand new 

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 15 October 2021, 12:50

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi there @mikecolleyuk !

Thanks for asking about this. :)

From your description, I don’t think the IHD itself is faulty, but it does sound like there’s a fault somewhere. Can you confirm how frequently the SW and WAN lights on your Comms Hub pulse please? If everything’s healthy, all three should pulse together every five seconds. If the HAN light is flashing every three, that’s a bit strange and may indicate a fault with the Comms Hub. It may be worth flagging that with the Support Team if it doesn’t clear within 48 hours.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 7

Hi @mikecolleyuk and Welcome to the OVO online community!

I’m really sorry to hear of the difficulty you’re having getting your new Chameleon In-Home Display (IHD) up and running. Sounds like there might be some communication issues that are preventing the device pairing up correctly. If a device is struggling to pair it can be known to reboot continuously - isn’t that right, @Blastoise186? (ahhhh - you ninja-ed me!)

It’s also disappointing to hear of your experience when raising this to the Support Team - We’d have to carry out some trouble-shooting in order to assess the cause of any IHD issues before declaring the device faulty so it’s worth requesting these further checks are carried out when you get a response to your email. If you’ve already mentioned raising this as a complaint you should hear back from the Team within 5 working days to discuss this further - see the full Complaints process here.

If you haven’t already it’s also worth mentioning that if your smart meters are in communication with us, you can also view your usage data via your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) - we’ve got a great guide on how to do this here.

I hope this helps get things sorted - do let us know how you get on, we’re always keen to see these smart meter issues resolved so you can enjoy the full benefits of going smart!

Turn around is 45 days which is utter madness - Honestly thought it would be a simple case of unpair the device and re-pair it.

For being new to this - this is shocking - Having gone from another provider, I was ALWAYS able to call tech and speak to someone had I have has an issue 

Really sorry to hear that the IHD issues weren’t quickly fixed when speaking to the Support Team, @mikecolleyuk - this suggests that there might be a deeper issue going on with the communication of your smart meters themselves rather than just the pairing of the device.

In this case we need to carry out some checks on the meter (known as a smart meter health check) which are then forwarded on to the smart team for further investigation - as sometimes we find that cause of the problem is down to intermittent signal issues it’s best for us to monitor the situation for several weeks hence the timeframe that you’ve been given.

In the meantime it’s worth checking out the advice here on how to take a smart meter reading manually.  You’re then able to submit these readings on your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) - check out this handy guide on the process here.

I hope this helps and the issues are resolved ASAP for you - do keep us updated, we’re always happy to offer advice here where we can. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, an IHD rebooting when it can’t connect for too long seems to be pretty normal behaviour for them. Whenever I simulate these exact conditions with the Kecleon Brothers, that’s exactly what happens with both of them after a few minutes have passed. I think it’s partially on the basis that turning things off and back on again can solve a lot of issues - and you’ll be surprised how often that works!

Thank you @Blastoise186  and @Jess_OVO,

I have just had a look now at the smart meter and can confirm that the meter is now back to SW, WAN & HAN are now flashing every 5 seconds.

Apologies for this  - being from a different country previously, smart meters are not a big thing, am I then correct to make the assumpton that I could phone support back then to try re-connect the IHD?

At the moment on the IHD, it is only the Network bar in the top left corner that is flashing and then reboots every 3 minutes or so? I think it is still trying to connect as it is fully charged, connected to the WiFi successfully though

Thanks for the assistance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No worries!

In that case, I think the next fix I’d suggest would probably be to have the IHD unpaired from the HAN and then paired up again, which will hopefully sort things out. The Support Team will need to do this with you and they’ll walk you through the steps. It’s extremely rare for an IHD to be totally Dead on Arrival, so I like to suggest less drastic solutions first in case they help. Not least because they’ll save you having to post it back and waiting for another one!

Thank you,

Tried calling through and am unable to speak directly to tech support  after being on hold for an hour- tried explaining this over and over and over but they insist on doing all theses checks, which was already done 

Turn around is 45 days which is utter madness - Honestly thought it would be a simple case of unpair the device and re-pair it.

For being new to this - this is shocking - Having gone from another provider, I was ALWAYS able to call tech and speak to someone had I have has an issue 

I hope this will then be looked at before the new year :unamused:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No worries.

It’s probably worth mentioning that OVO doesn’t do call taking in the same way as most energy suppliers do. Rather than having different teams of agents assigned purely to specific request types - and therefore creating more menu options to wade through - OVO has one giant team who are equipped to handle everything you might ask about. The disadvantage is that you might not always get through to the best agent every time, but it does have the advantage that you don’t need to be transferred anywhere near as often if you want to ask about several completely different things in the same call. Therefore, you do get through to tech support regardless of who answers the call. 45 days is also the maximum target time to resolve a tech issue, but OVO tries to get them sorted out faster than that whenever they’re able to. I’ve even heard of a couple of cases where a tech issue was resolved the same day. I’m very confident your issue will be resolved long before the new year.

Both methods have advantages and disadvantages, but there’s no single method that works everywhere. But don’t forget that this forum has a bunch of volunteers who know a thing or two as well. We can often help you to figure out possible culprits - and can sometimes save you a call!

I’ve learned quite a bit about the tech that makes all this stuff work over the last year and I’ve also got a perfect environment to simulate various conditions that an IHD might be in. Especially since I’m usually too far away from my smart meter Raichu to get a connection, but my long range Wi-Fi setup uses some pretty overpowered kit that allows me to get close enough to Raichu whenever I want, while still maintaining a Wi-Fi connection for CAD features to work in the future. It’s one of the benefits of having a full dual wired/wireless mesh network setup. with enough power to almost break through the legal limits enforced by Ofcom

Sorry to hear about the long queue though, I suspect it’s because things like the current situation in the energy market and other factors are probably generating massively higher call volumes than normal.. I’ve heard that even on an average day, it’s common for the team to handle anywhere between 15-70 calls a day per agent.

Userlevel 7

Really sorry to hear that the IHD issues weren’t quickly fixed when speaking to the Support Team, @mikecolleyuk - this suggests that there might be a deeper issue going on with the communication of your smart meters themselves rather than just the pairing of the device.

In this case we need to carry out some checks on the meter (known as a smart meter health check) which are then forwarded on to the smart team for further investigation - as sometimes we find that cause of the problem is down to intermittent signal issues it’s best for us to monitor the situation for several weeks hence the timeframe that you’ve been given.

In the meantime it’s worth checking out the advice here on how to take a smart meter reading manually.  You’re then able to submit these readings on your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) - check out this handy guide on the process here.

I hope this helps and the issues are resolved ASAP for you - do keep us updated, we’re always happy to offer advice here where we can. :thumbsup:

hi there,

i am having exactly the same issue.  Smart meter and IHD installed yesterday. IHD was working fine.  This morning the display had lost connection. i checked the pulse of the lights and they seem fine, i moved the IHD close to the meter, i turned the IHD on and off again. 

But it remains disconnected and keeps rebooting every few minutes.

i haven’t got time to sit and wait on the phone for support. is is possible to re- pair the IHD myself without the need for tech support walkthrough?

Or are there other solutions?

many thanks in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey there @grahamejames !

Sorry for the trouble. It sounds like either your IHD isn’t paired correctly or something’s up. I’m afraid you can’t pair or unpair IHDs yourself because the GUID of the device needs to be authorised to join your Home Area Network by OVO’s Support Team and they also need to open the HAN into Seek Mode in order to allow the IHD to discover the network and join it. It’s usually possible to get that done in a matter of minutes though - and you have one hour to complete the process once the HAN is opened.

You can usually get through to OVO by phone or live chat pretty quickly and the Support Team can try to help. They may need you to do a Smart Meter Health Check which you can fill out and send back via email when you have a free moment. There’s not really many solutions I can think of in this situation that you can do by yourself.

hey Blastoise186, thanks for the speedy response. i’ll try and carve out some time to give OVO a call. it’s just frustrating when stuff just doesn’t work in the way that it is designed to. i waded quickly thru lots of posts on here about the same/similar issues although i guess it is a very skewed sample of the IHD customers out there most of whom, i assume, don’t have a problem. i’ll report back once i have been through the tech support loop. thanks again

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No worries, glad I could help!

I’m pretty skilled at testing and breaking a lot of stuff and IHDs like the Chameleon IHD6-CAD-PPMID are no exception. I’ve actually got two of them (which I call the Kecleon Brothers) paired up to my meter Raichu as well. Combined with a few unique circumstances means I can seriously road test and stress test this stuff far beyond normal expectations.

Glad you’re finding the forum useful though. While there’s a lot of members who’ve come here to ask for help over the years, this is only a tiny fraction of every OVO member who’s ever been supplied by OVO - and there’s also members on this forum who have never been with OVO either, since this place is open to everyone regardless of supplier. So yeah, you’ll never see everyone on here. And it’s also quite common to only see people pop up when they need help or they have a problem. Compliments are generally not as common as complaints on forums of this type, but they do happen sometimes.

Anytime you need help, feel free to stop by. The forum runs at a pretty chilled pace so you never need to worry about replying rapidly - we’ll always know when you’ve left a comment. :)

Hello,

My IHD suddenly stopped showing usage data. My smart meter was installed by OVO about 13 months ago and everything was working fine until about 3 days ago. My IHD went into a weird restart cycle about 3 days ago where it restarted itself maybe like 5 times back to back and then lost connection. I WFH and the IHD sits on my desk right in front of me so I see it all the time and it has never done that before. 

I think it regained connection with the meter soon after as the “lost connection” message disappeared but it never showed any data after the restart event happened. The signal bar keeps fluctuating between 1 and 4 bars even if I place it next to the meter (it normally sits within 6 meters anyway and never had issues). I tried turning it off, waiting a couple minutes and turning it on multiple times on my desk and also next to the meter to no avail. Last night I switched it off the whole night and turned it back on this morning and still no go.

The meter itself is reporting fine to OVO as there is no missing hourly usage data when I login to my account to check my usage. So it is just the meter can’t communicate with the IHD. All green LEDs on the meter flash once every few seconds.

Could anyone help please? :(

Cheers! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @PaulV ,

Whoops. That’s not right! I can think of a few possible solutions if you’re OK to give them a try? I can’t promise that they’ll work, but you might get lucky. Just so that I know, which lights on your Comms Hub are flashing/pulsing and how often do they do so? It sounds like the Comms Hub is healthy, but this just helps me to rule that out as a possible culprit.

The first trick that I’d suggest would be to leave the IHD powered up and running on battery until it runs out and powers off, then give it a full recharge and power it back up again. Feel free to power it back up while it’s charging of course - waiting about 10 or 20 minutes first should be enough power it back up properly while it continues charging. I’ve heard a few people have found this can help, so it’s worth a go.

I’m also wondering if there’s a whole bunch of interference all of a sudden that’s affecting the signal between your IHD and the Comms Hub. It’s unlikely because ZigBee is supposed to be able to self-heal from this and your Comms Hub should be able switch to a quieter channel by itself (your Smart Meters and IHD would also detect this and automatically switch over as well). Wi-Fi isn’t meant to cause any problems with ZigBee, but I’m just thinking about a possible trick to see if there’s anything that could help. I’ll have a think about this some more before I dig deeper into that particular route.

Could you also grab the Firmware/Software Versions of your IHD for me please? You’ll find it under IHD Info in the menu.

Hi @Blastoise186 

Many thanks for your detailed response, much appreciated.

All 5 LEDs are flashing green at the same time at about every 3 seconds.

The software version is IHD6-CAD-PPMID 1.4

Meter info section says “waiting for meter reading”, “waiting for MPAN”, “waiting for supply status”.

I will now try your battery discharge method. I will report back the results after it dies and recharges :)

Cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah ha, perfect. No worries.

If the LEDs are flashing every two/three seconds, that would suggest the Comms Hub is attempting to make a connection. That’s not the end of the world though. Pulsing every five seconds is a sign that everything is healthy as far as the Comms Hub is concerned (which is a good thing!), so you might want to double check, just in case. But with that said, I don’t think there’s any problems  with the Comms Hub at least. You would have probably noticed it by now if everything had failed!

Your IHD is on the same firmware version as the Kecleon Brothers, which are my two IHD6-CAD-PPMID IHDs (long story!). Given that both of mine are working fine and communicating with my meter Raichu just fine, I don’t think it’s a firmware or software issue.

Let’s see what happens with the good old discharge and recharge trick. :)

I fully drained the battery and recharged. Unfortunately, still no connection :’(

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hmm… This might need some deeper investigations…

I don’t feel as if my other diagnostic would help in this case. Interference just sounds too unlikely and I don’t like to overcomplicate things if I don’t have to.

You might want to have a chat with the Support Team, as it’s starting to look like your IHD has developed a fault. It might be worth asking them to unpair and re-pair the IHD first though, as that sometimes fixes issues like this one. Feel free to let them know what you’ve tried so far and you can mention this thread if you’d like to.

If I come up with any other possible fixes, I’ll let you know here.

Thanks very much for all the help. I actually sent them a message before asking on this forum but haven’t heard back yet. I will contact them again if they don’t get back soon. I am so used to seeing my real-time usage so this is killing me lol. First world problems :D

Userlevel 7

Hope the Support Team have got back to you, @PaulV . If not I’d recommend reaching out to them via our Web chat which is often the quickest way -  You can find a link to this at the bottom of this page.

As you mentioned checking the ‘Usage’ pages on your online account, it’s worth bearing in mind that the data shown here may have been estimated. The better place to check the communication of your smart meters is via the ‘Meter Readings’ page of your OVO app (download for Android or iOS). If you notice any missing days readings this could indicate an intermittent signal issue, which is often the cause of a resetting IHD. There’s more helpful advice on this great guide:

In this case we’d recommend carrying out a smart meter health check before contacting the team as this will help us work out the next steps to get things sorted.

Let us know if this helps get to the bottom of things - we’re always on hand here and love to hear how these type of smart meter issues get resolved.

Quick update: I contacted the customer support as per the suggestions. They tried to fix it remotely but it didn’t fix the issue. They decided that the IHD is faulty and will post a replacement unit. Hopefully a happy ending :)