Solved

Why are my Smart meter daily readings not available on my online account? - I need this to get the best Electric Vehicle (EV) plan!

• 10 November 2021
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1

I have been with Ovo for a number of years and recently started the rollercoaster journey around getting an EV and a home charge point installed.

I have a SMETS1 Secure meter, I have checked it over and looks to be working as expected.

I can see Monthly and Yearly data but cant see anything for daily, I get the following error

‘Looks like we couldn’t find your usage data’

I believe I need this to be working to get on the best tariff for EV’s.

What is the best way to fix this? I thought I would ask here first as I have had a few really poor interactions with Ovo support recently and only want to call them if I really need to.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 11 November 2021, 14:50

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Blastoise186 is your man for the answer… How long ago was the smart meter installed ?

Userlevel 1

A few years ago, my understanding is that the secure SMETS1 should be okay, looks fine following a few guides. It does send usage automatically, just not sure why I can’t see the daily data.

Userlevel 7

Hi @dwhyte and Welcome to the OVO online community!

Looks like our community volunteer and all-round smart meter extraordinaire, @Blastoise186 , might be taking a well-deserved break today.

I have a SMETS1 Secure meter, I have checked it over and looks to be working as expected.

I can see Monthly and Yearly data but cant see anything for daily, I get the following error

‘Looks like we couldn’t find your usage data’

Sounds like we might need to update the reading schedule of your Secure S1 meter to allow half-hourly meter readings. The easiest way to request this would be to reach out to the Support Team via Webchat which you can access at the bottom of this page.

Great to hear you’re looking into the best EV plans we’ve got on offer - OVO Drive + Anytime would offer the best charging rates if you fit the eligibility requirements. Find out more about this plan here.

We’re always keen to hear from EV owners here - What model do you have? :oncoming_automobile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yawn… Morning! Eh, I just woke up 15 minutes ago. XD

I needed that rest though. If you think moving house is bad enough, try moving an entire charity!

However, I’d agree with Jess here. It sounds like your meters are currently on the default Daily setting, which is automatically selected unless you specify otherwise. If you ask for this to be changed, it should go through within five working days if memory serves.

And yup, ALL Secure meters are fully compatible with OVO since that’s the meter brand OVO went with back in the S1 days. Sooner or later though, your meter will be migrated to DCC via the enrolment & adoption process so that it works across pretty much all suppliers… Well, at least those that survive the next few months anyway. I like to define those meters as being a sort of “SMETS1+” though it’s not an official term per se. We just kinda invented it here.

Otherwise, it sounds like everything is pretty healthy and looks good.

Userlevel 1

Thanks everyone - I have asked support to change the scheduling :relaxed:

Userlevel 1

I asked support to make the change on Friday, they advised that it will take 24/48 hrs for me to see the change. The only thing that has changed so far is that I have stopped seeing daily usage (nothing for the 13th) - is this to be expected? Or do I need to contact support again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hmm… It looks like your meters were processing that change then. It is known for them to skip a day on the readings when the read schedule is being reconfigured. It should hopefully resume as normal from the next scheduled reading, such as today for example.

Try taking another look and see if there’s anything new now. If it still hasn’t gone through by this Friday at the latest, it might be worth getting the team to fling the same SMETS Command at the meters again.

Userlevel 1

This still isn't right :disappointed:.

So I have contacted support a few times, each time I have been told no issue has been spotted and that they can connect to my meter.

However, on my account home page it says that Ovo haven't been able to get a reading since the 1st Nov, the last 4 days all show the same electric reading for the day, I know this is wrong as I have turned my under floor heating on and am expecting a jump in consumption.

Looking at my gas readings I can see daily data up till the end of Oct, not sure why it stopped on the 1st Nov. Since then the reading look odd and I can only assume are estimated.

I’m not really sure what to do next, TBH if it wasn't for the current issue around energy prices I would have pursued switching suppliers.

Userlevel 1

Decided to add manual readings then checked the app…

This is so misleading, it gives the impression that a smart reading has been taken, but it cant have been the manual reading is way off.

Userlevel 1

Just realised I have misread the readings, from what I can see nothing has been captured automatically since the 1st of November, this will be when I first contacted Ovo to request hourly electric readings. I have since contacted support only to be told that everything looks ok when there is clearly an issue. As per the above the last person I contacted advised they could connect to my meter and it all looks good so I do t have a clue what the issue is. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hmm… This could be a possible indication that your meters are currently being migrated to DCC (which would actually be good news!). One of the side effects however, is that they do lose comms temporarily, and it can take a while to get Smart readings going again after the meters reconnect. Six weeks is usually enough time for that.

The Support Team can check the status and they should be able to see if your meters are currently undergoing this process, not yet been migrated or have completed the migration.

You might want to ask the team to use SMETS Commands to grab an instantaneous on-demand meter reading (it’s a useful test!). If the meters respond to that command with the correct meter reading, that confirms the meters are definitely able to communicate with OVO - and you can also ask to have those readings logged to your account as that days reading submission if you’d like to.

Switching supplier wouldn’t help either. In fact, switching while your meters are migrating to DCC could potentially slow the process down further, since the change of supplier commands can’t be issued until the meters fully reconnect.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @Blastoise186, I will reach out to support tomorrow and will see what they say.