Solved

What is the CIN number on my In Home Display (IHD)? Is there a battery-saving mode?

• 6 March 2021
  • 3 replies

I have looked and looked and I cannot fine a customer number that's only 4 digits anywhere, would this give account information or more specific results to the IHD? 

Also is there a way to save battery consumption on the unit by shutting off display or is it an in and off affair? 

Thank you in advance all! 

icon

Best answer by hecate 7 March 2021, 09:50

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4

Updated on 09/01/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

“Waitng for CIN” is not something you have to do. As far as I can tell it’s part of the (rather mysterious) commissioning process. My own IHD has “lost” the electricity meter just now, but gas is ok and sending reading and CIN shows 0000!

There is a night dimming setting, on mine (IHD6 - Chameleon) but I’ve found that the battery does not last very long. I thought the first was faulty, but the replacement is not much better. 

As advised by the member above the ‘CIN number’ is not something you’ll need to know or enter in order to set-up your smart meter In-Home Display (IHD). If you’re having trouble using the device to view you smart meter usage data we’d recommend checking out the guide below:

Whilst the Chameleon IHD does have batteries installed, we’d advise keeping it plugged in as the batteries are only intended to be used as a back-up power source, so don’t have the longest battery life (as you’ve found). Ideally you’d be able to plug the device in near your electricity meter so it can access all your usage data. No worries if you can’t find a suitable plug socket - you can also view the smart meter usage data on the usage pages of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) and keeping the device unplugged or switched off won’t affect the function of the meters themselves.
​​​​​

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Smart Meter not communicating with OVO? Fill out this Online Form 

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Welcome @Ovowilliams . I see that my new friend @hecate has come to your aid already (thanks for the assist!).

Generally, it takes up to six to eight weeks for everything to fully activate following install. If your IHD still isn’t working after that, feel free to let the Support Team know.

And yeah, as for battery, they’re pretty small and mainly intended for emergency use (such as topping up prepayment meters when the supply has gone off) or for short periods walking around the house. I’d also agree that Night Mode helps, as will turning the display brightness down a little.

By the way… @Tim_OVO I can’t seem to find any other solved questions that relate to this one. Could you double check for me just in case? I’m tempted to otherwise do something… Clever...

Thank you guys!