Tutorial

The OVO SMETS2 Smart Meter Health Check (SMHC)

• 10 September 2020
  • 56 replies
The OVO SMETS2 Smart Meter Health Check (SMHC)

Show first post

56 replies

Userlevel 2

Electricity meter and comms hub

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yup, that’s definitely a SMETS2 meter and the signals for WAN and HAN both look healthy to me. It looks like you’ve got either an IHD2 or IHD3 as well.

Could you try turning it off and back on again while it’s near the meter? It might then take up to 30 minutes to re-sync and pull down the latest data.

Userlevel 2

Thanks @Blastoise186.

Yes, I discovered it’s an IHD3 thanks to the tutorial on here.

Will give your suggestion a go when I get a minute. Knowing my luck it’ll probably re-sync in Welsh lol!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hehehe, it shouldn’t go back to Welsh, but at least you know how to change it back.

Trust me, the Smart Energy Tracker I have from SSE is even more unreliable! I think I’ve actually bricked the firmware on it a bit, since it’s so broken that trying to do anything with it at all, except pulling a basic reading causes the thing to crash.

OVO is sending me a new IHD out in the post soon, once they can get hold of one. So I’ll be able to help you guys out more easily soon

Userlevel 7
Badge

So handy, @Grim Up t'North - also so great to see this great community powered problem solving!

Post back here with the latest on the IHD, and then I think you can provide the URL of this topic to the web chat team here (scroll to the bottom). 

I would say we don’t know what should be appearing on the online account and what is, but it’s clear what is showing on the IHD from your screenshot, and it seems clear the WAN is good and the meter situation should allow communication. So that should help the advisor you speak to raise a case with the Smart Second Line team on your behalf. Point them to this topic if there’s any doubt! 

Userlevel 7
Badge

I’m waiting to refine and publish an official tick list of info this team needs, but for now I think we’ve done a good job in your case, @Grim Up t'North:blush:

Userlevel 2

Well, I tried @Blastoise186 ‘s suggestion of turning my IHD off and on again whilst near the meter this morning. After 3 hours it is still reading “Waiting for current data”

Will update if anything changes…….

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks for the update, sorry to hear that one didn’t work.

I do have one or two other diagnostic tricks that I can do as well with Aclara meters, but unfortunately I don’t think they work with any of the other brands. But if we managed to pull those diagnostics however… That may well solve the mystery.

I’m also going to start trying to identify patterns as well, such as which IHD and meter/comms hub combos seem to be the least reliable. The more details I can gather, the easier that will be.

Userlevel 2

Well, I said I would update…..so here goes:

IHD suddenly began working again on Saturday evening (at least that’s when I noticed) and has been OK since as far as I can see, with info displaying for both gas and electricity usage. However, when I went online to check my account, only an estimated reading was calculated for my electricity on the 28th November for the whole month (so I have now sent an actual reading) whereas my gas meter is apparently supplying data, so I had no need to supply a reading for that (previously I have had to manually input readings for both).

Strangely though, when I scroll back on the IHD, there are daily usage totals displayed for both gas and electricity as far back as the 23rd November - even though my IHD did not appear to be working at all until the 28th! And certainly as far as electricity is concerned, that data seems never to have reached Ovo, hence the estimated reading.

My Ovo account portal is not displaying any daily usage figures for either gas or electricity, despite my gas meter now supposedly sending the correct data, and electricity data being available on my IHD…..but seemingly nowhere else! 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Thanks for this update, @Grim Up t'North - it really helps to build up a picture of uncertainty around the connectivity of these devices and the online account. 

We need this:

I’m waiting to refine and publish an official tick list of info this team needs, but for now I think we’ve done a good job in your case, @Grim Up t'North:blush:

And I’m pushing for it!

For now @Grim Up t'North it’s always handy to have a ‘case’ raised with the support team, if you haven’t already. Use web chat (here) and feel free to link to this topic.

Userlevel 2

Checked my account today and saw that my 6 month old Smets2 meters haven't sent in readings for 2 weeks. I used the online chat to report this and was surprised that I'm supposed to complete a long, detailed and technical form to diagnose the problem. Seems to me this is Ovo's problem to fix. They also want me to send in manual readings. Really? Their equipment, their problem! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Bill Portland , welcome back. :)

There’s actually a valid reason for that form and it’s not quite as long as you think it is. Whenever there’s a potential fault with a Smart Meter, it’s not always possible for OVO to get access to it remotely and for obvious reasons, they can’t physically see it from their office. You are their eyes in these cases.

That form is most likely the S2 Smart Meter Health Check and the questions on there are similar to the ones I might ask you about when you come here for help. It only usually takes about 10 or 15 minutes to do, but the info it provides is extremely valuable and helps to figure out what’s going on. There’s a common trend with these issues getting fixed faster when a Smart Meter Health Check has been completed vs not completing one. You only need to send in the form once and provide manual readings every so often for now. OVO will take care of the rest.

Userlevel 2

So the point of installing smart meters is? Fix their problems and still send in manual readings? No thank you.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Most of the time, S2 Smart Meters work fine from what I’ve experienced. But as with just about anything, they can go a little wonky sometimes. OVO can still try to fix your meter issues remotely without the health check, but it would make their life easier if you’re willing to complete the health check. Even if you don’t submit manual readings, the health check at least makes the diagnostics easier.

You’ll be surprised about how powerful the self-diagnostics are on pretty much all Smart Meters and Comms Hubs. Not only can they do self-calibration checks to make sure they’re still recording accurately, they’re also capable of detecting faults and potentially self-healing if possible - with the ability to automatically alert the supplier if the self-diagnostics fail to resolve the issue.

The alternative option is to leave OVO to try and figure the issue out without the health check and rely on the estimated readings being accurate. If no readings are submitted at all, then I’m afraid you can’t really complain if your bills become inaccurate. You should consider which is the lesser of two evils.

Userlevel 7

So sorry to hear of your Smart meter communication issues, @Bill Portland.

As our community volunteer, @Blastoise186 has advised these checks of your meter (I’ve moved your post over to a guide which explains the exact details we need to know) should only take a few minutes and are really helpful in getting to the root of the issue.

Sometimes the communication issue might be intermittent and return in a few days, other times there might be remote processes we can carry out which fix the issue. Once we’ve done some initial trouble-shooting we’re in a much better position to advise of the next steps and get the issue resolved ASAP.

If the communication issues aren’t resolved for your next monthly summary your readings will be estimated based on previous usage, which is why we’d recommend submitting the readings in the meantime. There’s some great advice in how to read your smart meter here.

Hope this info helps explain the need for these checks and the smart meters are sorted quickly so you can really enjoy their benefits.

Userlevel 2

ok, that’s good.  please get on and fix them (both gas and electric meters) then.  The local display seems to be working fine (for both).  I’ve wasted all the time i want to on this.

Userlevel 7

The first step to getting the communication issues fixed is by completing the smart meter health check above and contacting our Support Team with the results, @Bill Portland.

They’ll pass your answers on to the smart metering team who will let you know the next steps. Keep us updated if you need any further help. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 2

As I mentioned, I've spent all the time I want to. I'm paying for a service, I don't expect to have to do it myself. If you want it fixed, fix it. I couldn't care less.

elec only smart meter installed 21 June in Scottish Highlands. No readings received by Ovo and app is askinge to send manual readings, which is the exact opposite of smart! When will it work? wan and han lights flashing every 5 secs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @padavison .

It should be done within another two weeks as it takes six weeks to do a full commission. However, the Arqiva WAN used in Scotland is known for being unreliable regardless of supplier. It uses Long-Range Radio but the technology isn't perfect. OVO is happy to investigate possible issues though. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @padavison and welcome to the OVO online community!

Sorry to hear of your Smart meter communication issues, usually the meters should be up and running within 6 weeks of being installed. Have you logged in to your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) to check whether your usage data is being sent through?

If you’re seeing this message, we may have to carry out some communication investigations  - 

Exact wording may vary

Well done for checking the lights showing on the meter, there’s a few other details that we’ll need to check - Find the full smart meter health check above. 

Once you’ve carried out the above checks, contact our Support Team with the results, who’ll be able to let you know the next steps to get things resolved.

In the meantime, there’s some great advice in how to read the meter manually here:thumbsup:

I have an Aclara SMET2 meter that was installed by Scottish Power in Jan 2021.

It has not communicated with SP since then, or OVO since I switched in April 2021, despite lodging complaints with both suppliers.

I went through the OVO meter self check tutorial, and have established that the HAN is not working ( no light, or indication on LCD on meter ). Tutorial suggests that meter may not be commissioned properly, although it is reading elec usage. SW and WAN lights flashing every 5 seconds.

Is an engineer visit required to fix this, or is there anything I as a Chartered Engineer can do to reset it ??

Hi @padavison .

It should be done within another two weeks as it takes six weeks to do a full commission. However, the Arqiva WAN used in Scotland is known for being unreliable regardless of supplier. It uses Long-Range Radio but the technology isn't perfect. OVO is happy to investigate possible issues though. 

After talking to customer support and them "pulling" a reading it is now working with 1/2 hourly readings. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yay! Thanks for the update @padavison ! I recommend keeping an eye on things over the next couple of weeks, just to make sure comms are stable. If you have trouble again, this can definitely be investigated.

Meanwhile, thanks for bringing this up @olibee7 . I have some good news and bad news for you here.

The bad news is that there’s not much you can do yourself to fix this issue on your own. Any attempt to remove the covers from the meter or comms hub will trigger a tamper alarm and this does get logged in the local event logs and forwarded to the supplier. There’s also no way for you to access any commissioning or engineer related menus as a customer either.

However, there is a solution that can help. It may require an engineer visit, but OVO can certainly attempt to commission your meters. Is the HAN light flashing at all by any chance? If it’s just SW and WAN, this suggests that either something isn’t set up properly or you’re in the Northern Territory. If you could show us some snaps of your meters, that would be brilliant.

Thanks for your reply, Blastoise.

I am located in Hampshire ( as far south as you can go, apart from IOW ).

I have never seen the HAN light flash, and there is no HAN indicator on the meter screen.

Meter has SKU-1 cellular comms hub and signal strength on meter sceeen shown as -99dbm,

which I think is adequate. Does this info help ?