Solved

Switching from British Gas to OVO Using Current BG Installed Smart Meters?

• 6 September 2017
  • 53 replies

Userlevel 1

I am considering switching my electricity & gas supplier from British Gas to OVO. I currently have a Smart Meter which was installed by BG. Would this meter continued to be used by OVO (i.e. it wouldn't be necessary to install a completely new meter by OVO)?
If it would continue to be used by OVO, would it be necessary for OVO to change the method of communicating meter readings ( Ithink BG receive reading via mobile phone technology)? Assuming that OVO will need to do something to link my Smart Meter to their systems, would manual readings have to be submitted until such time that the alteration was made?
Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by CityFlyer 7 September 2017, 13:09

View original

53 replies

Userlevel 2
As in the title i have a British Gas Smart Meter fitted in 2013, OVO are coming in August 2018 to fit a smart meter by them can they not use the existing smart meter ???
Userlevel 6
As in the title i have a British Gas Smart Meter fitted in 2013, OVO are coming in August 2018 to fit a smart meter by them can they not use the existing smart meter ???

Hey @curtis

I've moved your post onto this thread where other users have already been talking about similar issues!

Nancy
I am new to Ovo and came across this thread which what I am curious about. I moved to a new build flat (completed in June 2018) and switched the electricity supplier to OVO.
The current meter is a Landis+Gry E470 and after googling it, it might be a SMETS2 smart meter. If it is the second generation meter, would OVO be able to read the meter remotely?