Solved

Is it essential to have a smart meter to apply for the Smart Export Guarantee? I'm looking to install solar panels but am in a poor signal area - what can I do?

• 21 October 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Tim_OVO  could you please help out by putting this question in the best forum and maybe tagging a few helpful people?

I am getting solar panels installed soon. My understanding is to put excess electricity into the grid and get paid a bit for it, I need a smart meter. I requested one from my electricity supplier (so sorry, not OVO, I need to switch!) and was told:

We’re sorry to say we can’t install smart meters for you at present.
There isn’t strong enough smart meter network coverage at your property. That means a smart meter wouldn’t be able to send or receive information.

Does this mean there is no way to get paid under SEG scheme for this? A bit of googling suggest the meter connects via a mobile signal? I don’t understand why this wouldn’t work. 

Any help understanding this from this awesome community gratefully received

James

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 29 October 2021, 15:11

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7

Updated on 13/02/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Back with an interesting update on this one, @James_N.

I’ve taken this one to our Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) team to check whether a smart meter is essential for making an application for export payments. They’ve advised that as long as you have a meter capable of measuring export readings (which could be an export meter rather than a smart meter) you’ll be able to apply. It’s worth speaking to your intended installer as they should be able to help with getting an export meter fitted alongside your solar panels. I’ve also checked in with them to ensure the information that we give on this is made clear to those looking to apply.

Hope this information helps and you’re able to arrange an export meter to allow that Solar panel installation to resume. :sun_with_face: