Solved

SMETS1 smart meter not communicating with OVO - Am I able to self-diagnose any issues before speaking to the Support Team?

• 28 December 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi there,

I’ve had a SMETS1 smart meter that was installed in early 2017 and has been working fine up until the 22nd of December where it seems to have stopped sending readings. I checked the meter this morning and the WAN light was solid red which seems to suggest it has connectivity issues.

The meter itself still appears to be working correctly and recording energy usage but is not communicating it back.

I’ve done a manual reading for now, but obviously I’d prefer to get the automatic readings working again.

Is there anything further I can try to restore connectivity before reporting this to OVO? Offices seemed to be closed today due to the bank holiday so I wasn’t able to get through.

Tom

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 28 December 2021, 17:47

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey there @Diesirae !

Sure thing. Could you post some photos of your meter(s) please? I can definitely try to offer some advice, but I’ll need to see what you’ve got first.

Hi @Blastoise186,

Sorry I took this of the electric meter this morning whilst half-asleep. It isn’t the highest quality, but it shows the WAN light as solid. 

I can take another photo if required. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That’s perfect, thanks! I can work with that.

I can definitely confirm it’s an S1 meter - a Secure Liberty 100 so it’s fully compatible with OVO. I like to ask for photos as it helps with a check like this one. :)

Personally, I’m going to throw two possible diagnosis into the mix here. If you’ve got an IHD with the meter, such as the Secure Pipit 500 or Chameleon IHD3, could you grab it and see if it’s talking to the meter properly? If it is, that’s a good sign. Don’t worry if you don’t have one though - OVO can send you one in the post on request if needed.

I don’t think it’s particularly likely that the meter has developed a fault, so it’s more likely either just a temporary WAN outage (which can happen sometimes) that will resolve itself eventually, or something else which might be a good thing. It’s known that a lot of Secure Liberty meters have started to migrate to DCC via Enrolment & Adoption this year, in order to connect them to the National Smart Meter Network and function like a SMETS2 meter. They’ll still be SMETS1, but I like to consider them as being a sort of SMETS1+ so to speak. This would allow it to work with any supplier freely, even if that supplier never installed Secure branded meters back in the day.

If this is the case with your meter, it may take up to six weeks for it to reconnect and start sending readings in again - but if you get lucky it could be faster. I think the Support Team can check the status for you, but I’d suggest giving it a few days first. I wouldn’t be too surprised if the phone lines get swamped tomorrow after all! If you’re OK with holding back for a few days, chances are you’d get through a lot faster as you can avoid the rush that way. I’d say the 6th January 2022 onwards should be fairly safe. :)

Perfect. That’s enough evidence for me that the Comms Hub above the meter is working then. If it was totally dead, you wouldn’t even get anything on the IHD - as the HAN is a separate function from the WAN on them. I think they’re also on separate radios as well, so it’s unlikely to be totally dead.

Thanks for your assistance with this. Hopefully it’s just the DCC change you’ve mentioned and in which case I understand it may take some time. I’ll give OVO a call in a couple of weeks and hopefully confirm that’s the case if nothing has changed in the interim.

Tom

Thanks @Blastoise186 that’s really helpful and fingers crossed it is indeed just changing over.

I do indeed have a Pipit 500 and it still seems to be communicating with the meter and showing energy usage correctly for today.

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Perfect. That’s enough evidence for me that the Comms Hub above the meter is working then. If it was totally dead, you wouldn’t even get anything on the IHD - as the HAN is a separate function from the WAN on them. I think they’re also on separate radios as well, so it’s unlikely to be totally dead.

Thanks for your assistance with this. Hopefully it’s just the DCC change you’ve mentioned and in which case I understand it may take some time. I’ll give OVO a call in a couple of weeks and hopefully confirm that’s the case if nothing has changed in the interim.

Tom