Solved

Smart meters SMETs1 or SMETs2?

Show first post

199 replies

Userlevel 5
@OJP99 These meters are still in the testing phase but watch this space!
[quote=
DCC and SMETS2 is now live and testing. Can we get a date and order process from Ovo for SMETS2?[/quote]

Should I wait for SMETs2 before ordering a smart meter?
Don't get one at all, Gunders, even though you will be paying, (indirectly in your bills.)

The intention is, for the suppliers later on when a majority of the population have them, to charge you for use at peak times, to force you to go off peak.
Userlevel 5
Hey @OJP99,

At some stage SMET1 will have the same functionality as SMET2. By having smart meters installed (even if they’re SMET1), you’ll still be able to track your energy usage and in turn, save on your bills, say goodbye to meter readings and make sure your bills are totally up to date.

As SMET2 are still in the testing phase, there’s no confirmed date for when they’ll be released, but I imagine this will be at the end of 2017/beginning of 2018.

Lucy
If I order a Smart Meter from OVO today, 30Aug17, will it be supplied to SMETS2 specification?
Userlevel 7
If I order a Smart Meter from OVO today, 30Aug17, will it be supplied to SMETS2 specification?

Thanks for posting @ianb - I've moved this comment to another topic on the same thing. Check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for more info on when we're fitting these SMETS2 meters.

You might also like a read of this topic, highlighting why the SMETS1 meters are worth getting ASAP: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-energy-24/why-you-should-get-a-smart-meter-asap-542.

Happy reading!

^Tim
Has OVO considered the health risks of smart meters?
Userlevel 2
Has OVO considered the health risks of smart meters?

Care to expand? Have you got any documented proof that there are health risks with smart meters?
Userlevel 5
@Fourbrick - Smart meters are covered by UK and EU product safety legislation, which requires manufacturers to ensure that any product placed on the market is safe. Public Health England (formerly The Health Protection Agency) provides advice and information on the health implications of smart meters, as it does for a range of technologies commonly found in homes and businesses across the UK.

Public Health England has advised that the evidence suggests that exposures to the radio waves produced by smart meters do not pose a risk to health.

If you'd like to check out some further information, feel free to visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/smart-meters-radio-waves-and-health/smart-meters-radio-waves-and-health.

Lucy
My son, who lives next door, had a Smart Meter 1 (for a different supplier)installed in August. I spoke with the installer about whether it was worth waiting for Smart Meter 2, or getting a Smart Meter 1 from OVO.

He said " We're rolling out Smart Meter 2 from October. We've done the training and got them in stock - just using up the last of the old ones."

So why aren't OVO up with the others?
I’m new to Ovo and want a smart meter but would prefer it is the newer SMETS2 rather than SMETS1.

The only info I can find on this is the below link, but there’s no dates on this to say it’s a current trial or not. Given the DCC and SMETS2 have been delayed for all providers is the below correct in that there’s a trial for SMETS2?

Before I found this I signed up for a smart meter install and that’s scheduled for the end of the month. I’d rather postpone if there’s a chance of being on the trial.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/smart-meter-trial-faqs
As a new customer on your two year tariff I have just been offered a free Smart Meter. Can you tell me if the meters you are now installing are SMET2 compliant (Second-generation smart meters are able to connect to the DCC network already and are called SMETS2 - according to WHICH). If this is not case do you know when you will be offering them and if so can I delay until then?
Hi Ovo

I’d like to know this as well please. Are you still rolling out old SMET1 technology that would need further upgrade or replacement to be 2020 compliant?

Thanks
I'd love to have a smartmeter but the saga of the standard has been floating about for several years. I won't have one installed until you can guarantee an industry wide compatible system which seems like it will be 2019.
Hey @Kris @Mikerich and @Organic

I've moved your comments over to this topic as there's a tonne of information about SMETS2 in here.

We're not trialling the SMETS2 at the moment but will be in the near future. We've no date as of yet, but if you're interested I'd recommend filling in the google form @Kris shared above - https://www.ovoenergy.com/smart-meter-trial-faqs.

There are no plans to replace any S1 meters with S2 as the industry is looking to create a solution that allows S1 to become part of the same infrastructure as S2. S1 meters will continue to work as normal, however, customers will still face potential loss of smart functionality when changing suppliers.

Hope this helps,
Emma
My son, who lives next door, had a Smart Meter 1 (for a different supplier)installed in August. I spoke with the installer about whether it was worth waiting for Smart Meter 2, or getting a Smart Meter 1 from OVO.

He said " We're rolling out Smart Meter 2 from October. We've done the training and got them in stock - just using up the last of the old ones."

Hey @Blod

I've moved your query into this topic as there's lots of information on SMETS2 you can find in here.

We're not installing the SMETS2 meters at the moment, but will be trialing them shortly. If you're interested you can opt in for the trial here - https://www.ovoenergy.com/smart-meter-trial-faqs.

Thanks,
Emma
Are second generation/cross compatible smart meters available yet? If not, when?

Thanks,

John
Userlevel 5
Are second generation/compatible smart meters available yet? If not,any idea when?

Thanks,

John.

Moved your comment over here, Hammy as I think you’ll find your answer on this topic.

Lucy

Hey @Blod

I've moved your query into this topic as there's lots of information on SMETS2 you can find in here.

We're not installing the SMETS2 meters at the moment, but will be trialing them shortly. If you're interested you can opt in for the trial here - https://www.ovoenergy.com/smart-meter-trial-faqs.

Thanks,
Emma

Hi all.
Quick question - do you need a SMETS1 installed in order to join the trial of SMETS2, or would it be easier to switch from a standard meter?
Also, I would assume that the trial SMETS2 would be compatible with Eco7 tariffs, even if storage heaters are not actually present/in use?
If someone could confirm that would be grand!

Hi all.
Quick question - do you need a SMETS1 installed in order to join the trial of SMETS2, or would it be easier to switch from a standard meter?
Also, I would assume that the trial SMETS2 would be compatible with Eco7 tariffs, even if storage heaters are not actually present/in use?
If someone could confirm that would be grand!

Would like to know the same answer ...previous questions have gone unanswered 😞

We have just had PVs fitted and will hopefully have battery storage in the next few weeks, we are looking at an EV in the near future,
currently we still have the old (30 year old) meters installed (which now obviously go backwards whilst we are producing solar power) but would like to know the rates for economy 7... why do OVO make it so difficult to find out ALL of their tariff rates?

Also how do I find out the Economy7 off peak times that I would be on @Darran_OVO @Lucy_OVO @Tim_OVO ?
Would like to know the same answer ...previous questions have gone unanswered 😞

I doubt I will be keeping my custom with OVO due to the total lack of responses (that and the fact OVO made a hash of setting up my FIT).

Not sure what was considered if you came out top:
“We’ve been awarded Energy Supplier of the Year, for the third year running, at the 2017 uSwitch Energy Awards.”

It certainly wasn’t for customer service, price or clarity between tariffs.
Userlevel 7
Hi @gmarkj1981 and @Gizmo

We were hopeful of other users stepping in to advise about these smart meters. We want the forum to be a place where users help each other - I'm sorry that your queries haven't been answered sooner!

You won't need a SMETS1 meter to be eligible for a SMETS2 exchange. All SMETS1 meters will be upgraded to replicate the later model, so we'd prioritise customers who haven't got a smart meter at all over those with SMETS1.

Both types of smart meter are compatible with Economy 7, although the prices vary for each region. As customers can't generally change between a single rate and an economy 7 rate tariff, we don't make available the opposing tariff to existing customers. Gizmo if you did change to Economy 7 after the smart meters went in, we would put you on the prices that were available at your contract start date. PM me your details if you want these prices confirmed.

As for finding out when your meter switches to the off peak 'night' rate, check out this topic: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-energy-24/so-your-economy-7-meter-gives-you-off-peak-cheap-electricity-but-when-is-it-cheapest-42.

Hope this helps,
Tim
Thanks for the reply @Tim_OVO.
I didn't imagine that my questions would be ones that other community members could answer, so you're reply is great.
With regard to the other topic you linked to, how often is it checked? The last Mod reply was nearly 3 weeks ago and there are a number of people (myself included) that have asked about when their night rate is applied...
Userlevel 7
With regard to the other topic you linked to, how often is it checked? The last Mod reply was nearly 3 weeks ago and there are a number of people (myself included) that have asked about when their night rate is applied...

Thanks for the heads up, @gmarkj1981 - I've stepped in and updated that other topic you mentioned!

Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I too will waiting for a SMETS2. In the meantime, I'm receiving the energy consumption information I want by installing a small power-meter beside my consumer unit.
Unlike a SMETS, it has no battery to go flat, and I can monitor the current taken by any circuit I wish because it uses a small toroidal transformer through which the neutral wire passes.
(And yes, I have a friendly local electrician who does checks for me and issues Part-P certification!)
The power meter cost me about £8, plus the plastic box to house it.