Solved

Smart meter issues following DCC enrolment - How long should this process take?

• 9 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

I check my meter readings and usage figures on a daily basis. Since 6th April that data has not been updated online (browser) or through the app. Something is being accumulated and increased daily against the 6th instead of spreading over subsequent days as it should. Half hourly data is, of course, missing.

Here is a picture from my IHD for the 6th. Note that WAN and HAN are connected and daily data is displayed for every day on the IHD. So for the 6th my total energy usage is a plausible 29.30 kWh.

Now if we look at my online data it is a shambles. I have not changed plan/tariff since fixing last September, but something has gone very wrong. I assume it's just me as I've looked for other reports and found none, but online message chat-bot refuses to open and phones are closed so I'm stuck with posting here.

If someone could feed the hamster and get things moving again I'd be delighted.

icon

Best answer by eezytiger 15 April 2022, 12:13

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7

Well spotted usage data inconsistencies, @eezytiger.

I check my meter readings and usage figures on a daily basis. Since 6th April that data has not been updated online (browser) or through the app.

This sounds to me like there could be a temporary drop in your smart meter communications meaning the usage pages are showing (inaccurate) estimated figures in the meantime.

Have there been any changes to what you can see here over the weekend? If not it might be worth checking out the advice given in the related guide below.

Let us know how you get on - It’s always really helpful to here how these issues can be resolved for others who might be seeing similar usage graph anomalies. 🙂

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi, @Jess_OVO 

I'm afraid things are not going well at all. I have some daily totals appearing since the 5th/6th, but they are wrong for both gas and electricity when compared to my IHD, which did match before the 6th. There is no half hourly data since the 5th.

Example for gas consumption on the 6th.…

And the data in the app for the 6th and beyond.…

The app and website are both requesting that I submit meter readings. The app rejects my attempts to submit data. The website has second thoughts when I go to the readings submissions page.

So to summarise…

You are not taking meter readings but are just making up random numbers.

You ask me to submit readings and then block my efforts to provide them.

It's not looking great.

Cheers,

Tim.

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Jess_OVO 

Oh, and here's the app behaviour.…

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Jess_OVO 

OK, some progress today following email exchange with customer support. After sending in various details and photos in response to questions from Ovo I received this reply.…

Hi Tim,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. 

Im sorry for any confusion over the meter reads not coming through to us. I have added them today for you.

Your smart meter is currently being upgraded to the new data collection system ( know as The BOL ), and due to this you meter is out of comms.

I have riased a case to our OPS team to look into speeding this up for you so that the meter can be in comms with us again as soon as possible.

In the mean time if you could send in your meter reads to us until this situation is resolved we would be greatful.

It would have been quite nice to have some notification in advance, with a timeframe included, so that I need not have wasted so much time with the ensuing nonsense. Typos aside, I am none the wiser about how long this might take to be resolved. Hours/days/weeks/months?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Sounds like you’re being migrated to DCC, nice!

Should be completed within about six weeks from now. :)

Userlevel 4
Badge

Updated on 16/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

If you want to find out more about the national enrollment of SMETS1 meters onto the DCC, check out this handy guide we’ve created:

Sounds like you’re being migrated to DCC, nice!

Should be completed within about six weeks from now. :)

Hi, @Blastoise186 and @Jess_OVO 

I thought I'd update to say that my DCC migration is complete and normal service has now returned. The six week thing is, I think, only for an entire phase of rollout. For any single customer the migration should (I think) take just moments, without any observable downtime. It seems my experience was not as smooth as it should be, but it was the exception and not the norm.

I am now able to access my DCC data using the Loop (electricity only) and Bright apps, with Bright including both electricity and gas data. My Ovo data is also present and correct, but amusingly, less up to date than the third party apps, which are already showing today's data, with Ovo running a day behind.

Also worth a mention that I received a call from an Ovo rep to follow up on my case and we had a long and friendly chat about my experience and I shared some tips with her about Tado. :-)

So all's well that ends well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hehehe, they’ve really sped things up!

Technically speaking, you’re still in the migration period at the moment. It just so happens that DCC has figured out how to get the meters talking again much faster than in the past to reduce downtime. :)