Solved

Shift and Save - smart meter not talking!

• 27 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi All - has anyone else had problems with getting properly compensated for shift and save events because their smart meter has stopped communicating? 

I’ve participated in all events offered so far and initially everything seemed to work OK.  I made a considerable effort not to use any power during the requested time and was happy with the payment made. 

However, over the past 6 occasions OVO have said they will credit my account based on past usage because my smart meter wasn’t sending them readings.  I have queried this with them as their credits are paltry compared to what I would have earned had the smart meter been working, but they say the meter is working OK, and it is just coincidental that it stops talking when I need it to.

I do the events because I think they’re important but like everyone I can also do with being properly paid for my efforts.

I’d be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem, and what if anything they’ve been able to do about it!  Thanks all

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 29 March 2023, 09:14

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Hey @Squirrelgeorge,

Sorry to hear this, it’s a shame that you aren’t being rewarded for your efforts. 

I’ll ask the team and see what the best advice for customers with irregular communications is.

Will get back to you when they respond 😊

Userlevel 7

Hey @Squirrelgeorge,

I got an update from the team:

Unfortunately sometimes your smart meter will stop sending us meter readings intermittently. When we are calculating your usage over the Shift & Save time period, we sometimes won't have a reading from your meter. More often than not, the issue resolves itself after a day or so. If this is not the case, the smart meter team will try to resolve this issue for you. You'll hear from them if it is an ongoing issue. You'll still be receiving bill credit for that event, to reward you for your efforts.

You are still getting paid for their efforts and this is based on an average of their previous usage and is outlined in the email you receive saying you’re meters non-communicating. 

Hope this helps. 

Has anyone else had a problem with Shift and Save on the day it takes place your smart meters not working.It’s happened twice to me, the latest was 31/03/2023 and i have been told today 13 days latter. your smart meters was not working but only for electricity.Too much of a coincidence to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Has anyone else had a problem with Shift and Save on the day it takes place your smart meters not working.It’s happened twice to me, the latest was 31/03/2023 and i have been told today 13 days latter. your smart meters was not working but only for electricity.Too much of a coincidence to me.

Hi @100721814

Welcome to the customer forum, i am just a customer like you. 

You could have a look at the Hugo app to see if they can see the 30min readings on that day

https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/

I assume the 30min readings are not visible on OVO on that day?

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage

Userlevel 7

Hi @100721814,

This has been raised in the Shift and Save group: 

(you’ll need to request permissions to join the group to access that topic). 

It relates to the 31st March being when standard variable tariff (SVT) price changes take place across the UK, impacting smart meter data transfers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It is interesting as it has not impacted every company that has access to smart meters