Questions about my new Smart Meter...

• 15 February 2020
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • Carbon Cutter*****
  • 10 replies

I have a new Smart Meter and am just getting used to it, so forgive any stupid questions but…..

When I view the ‘Usage Now’ pages, the results are somewhat contradictory…. see below.

Electricity is claiming I am using £6.91 per hour and shows HIGH (red light), however, the next screen says I am using 368W and ECO(green light). The CO2 screen seems to match the £ screen and show 142G and HIGH red light. £6.91 for 368W seems quite steep…. About £20 per kWh! ….so I am guessing something is not quite right or I am misunderstanding something….

The Gas is very similar…. £0.90 ECO Green light, 226W HIGH Red Light and 45g ECO Green light. I cannot understand how my heating system using 226W could be high… it would barely be enough to warm a dinner plate!

I have checked the settings for lights and they are set at £1.50 and £2.50 for electric and gas respectively. 

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @NeilG and welcome to the Forum.

Firstly, you’ve been given a type of In-Home Device that I haven’t met before. Is the manufacturer’s name on the back or in the accompanying brochure?

Secondly it takes several weeks of testing and commissioning before OVO downloads your actual Tariff data to your new SMETS2 meters. So whilst the watts and CO²/Kg are probably about right, the costs given are whatever was the default option in the memory of the IHD.

You can read more about new SMETS2 Installations over on this other topic.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for this… I will just wait and see what happens then! I suspect the energy reading for the electric is about right… it was the money part that was slightly worrying, but I guess that is a calculation in the display part.

FYI. The display is made by Secure and is called a Pipit 500…. 

It seems to have fairly reasonable data with regard to the tariff… and it matches what I signed up for…. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That’s interesting @NeilG 

So I assume you must be living in the North of England or Scotland. OVO used to install Secure SMETS1 meters with Pipit IHDs before 16th March 2019. After that date Ofgem would no longer credit them for a SMETS1 meter.

The SMETS2 meters installed by OVO are mainly manufactured by Aclara and use a Toshiba Communications Hub bolted on top. This connects to the wide area network operated by Telefonica in the South and Central territories.

There are technical problems with communications in some areas of the Northern territory, operated by Arqiva. So if you’ve recently had a Secure SMETS1 installed, then I guess you’re in one of those locations.

I hadn’t expected them to revert to that earlier network.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Interesting….. we are actually in a village sandwiched between the Vale of Evesham and the Cotswolds…. so not exactly in ‘The North’…., we are actually closer to Cheltenham than Birmingham, so even being in ‘The Midlands’ could be debatable…. 

The only other factor I can think of in terms of the meter is that we are participating in the V2G  experiment, so our car is regularly being used to supply the grid when parked on the drive….. but as far as I can tell the smart charger they control is not connected to the meter as it uses a powerline link to our broadband router for connectivity.

Yesterday we exported 18kWh to the grid and used another 2kWh for a short trip…. The smart meter shows us having consumed 31kWh, which would be our normal daily 11kWh for the house and 20kWh for the car. Interestingly, it does not seem to be able to register the reverse flow of power…. or perhaps cannot show it…  so not sure how that will pan out for our PV cells on a sunny day!

I think I may well be giving this quite a lot of scrutiny over the next few weeks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ah… the thot plickens!

Well you’re definitely in Telefonica’s territory @NeilG So I’m going to tag @BenS_OVO to see if he can say whether your Secure meter is running

• SMETS1 software on OVO’s earlier network
  • SMETS2 software on DCC’s National Smart Meter Network

All the Secure meters which OVO installed prior to 16th March’19 are in any case going to upgraded to SMETS2 software and migrated to the NSMN so there’s little we can tell from knowing the meter manufacturer.

You are quite correct that there are no data signals between the Smart Meter and your V2G charger. The control commands use the internet rather than an Auxiliary Load Control Switch

So I’m going to also tag @D10hul and @Ash_OVO ask if they know of anyone else on the V2G Trial who’s using SMETS1 meters.

And you’re very fortunate to also have PV grid connected. That’s because I suspect you’re just within in an Electricity Region operated by Western Power. Based on the geographical information you’ve provided, I think your electricity is derived from the 66kV Bulk Supply Point at Stow.

Other potential V2G participants are not so lucky. Have a look at the dialogue I’ve been having with someone served by Northern Power Grid on this other Topic. They are being asked to pay connection fees because they intend to have two grid-connected sources.

Have you seen this Topic uploaded a week ago by @Tim_OVO where he provides a link to a Webinar about the V2G Trial? There’s some PowerPoint slides showing how Project Sciurus operates in the background, and explaining the national strategy.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Transparent @NeilG 

SMETS 1 is the only meter comparable with the V2G trial, I have raised the question and the reason I am given ….. wait for it ….. Smets 2 is unable to account for exports. 

The Smets and the V2G unit are not linked in any way, neither is the OVO app to the Kaluza App (V2G) it all runs separately to each other, shame because it would be good to see exports in the OVO app but unfortunately it doesn't support this and you can only see your imports. 

The Smets1 meter (the user bit you have photoed) will not show exports for that you need to go to the meter and press button 9, it will show imports then exports, the user display will only show a negative number when exporting and doesn't rewind the import figure. 

its also worth noting if you try and tally the Kaluza app and the meter exports up you will also give yourself a head ache they are 2 different figures, the app shows from unit only and the meter shows actual export out of the house (usually lower than the Kaluza app) your solar export will be included in the button 9 figure from your meter. 

Then theres invoicing, I reconcile using the export payment and dividing it by .30 or .26 for solar ( depending on your contract ) then obtain the future from the meter button 9, its often accurate enough. 

Hope thats give you something to digest, and as ever if your on the socials join me and over 300 more trialists, installers designers and project leaders on the Face book OVO V2G page !!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Aagh! So all you V2G Trialists are using SMETS1 meters?!

No wonder the control signals are being sent across the internet instead of using the encrypted path via DCC and an Auxiliary Load Control Switch!

The  SMETS2 software and Aclara meters most certainly do support export. Here’s a photo of my meter taken 5 minutes ago. It reads 0000 because my renewable sources are not grid-connected.

So either it’s DCC who are not yet supporting export readings, or else OVO have yet to develop the software to handle those readings when they collect them from the BOL.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Yes @Transparent I don't know the technical ins and outs but we can oly have the Legacy Smets1 installed,i know of people who actually had a smets 2 removed and a smets 1 installed just so they could become part of the trial. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

OK; so I can understand that decision to run Project Sciurus on SMETS1, but the software will certainly have to move across to SMETS2.

I would also hope that the control signals are migrated to operate via an Auxiliary Load Control Switch channel. This will enable Kaluza hardware to be integrated with other 3rd-party domestic energy control systems.

Most importantly, V2G connections will then be protected within the secure environment of the National Smart Meter Network . Have a look at this slide from the recent webinar

If the UK is to realise the potential for mass deployment of V2G chargers as a replacement for building new power stations, then Alok Sharma MP will need to be satisfied that it can’t be brought down by a cyber attack. Unlike his predecessor, he has a science degree, and is in a better position to appreciate the implications.

@NeilG please say if you are struggling to follow any of this. Others will read what’s here over the next few months, and it’s important to ensure now that it can be understood by future V2G charger owners.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Many thanks to all of you who have contributed so clearly to this thread…. Yes I do understand most of what you say and will read up the other threads over the next day or so. You are right, this is a steep learning curve, but I am a broadcast engineer, so most of the concepts and ideas mentioned are not foreign to me… just in this particular situation which is new. As always, the devil is in the detail of what the various protocols can and cannot do…. and of course that cannot be second guessed!

The webinar looks very interesting…. so I will enjoy looking that over. I had already done my own ‘fag packet’ calculations and realised the massive power locked up in this technology as we all transition away from fossil fuels. 

Userlevel 6

Some great advice here @Transparent and @D10hul !

I’ve converted this topic into a ‘discussion’ just so you know @NeilG, as it seemed more appropriate :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Now that @Nancy_OVO  has converted this to a discussion, it’s more likely to become a Topic where others will arrive in future. So to help explain the V2G strategy, let me pop this diagram here:

I’ve shown the communications paths as they should soon appear using a SMETS2 Smart Meter connected to OVO via DCC’s National Smart Meter Network.

The present configuration using SMETS1 meters would omit the DCC block.

Userlevel 5
Badge

This is were I hope ( after the V2G project finishes in 2021) OVO will take the next step, we as trialists are all concerned whats going to happen to our price place and equipment management after the trial ends. 

Userlevel 1

I have a new Smart Meter and am just getting used to it, so forgive any stupid questions but…..

When I view the ‘Usage Now’ pages, the results are somewhat contradictory…. see below.

Electricity is claiming I am using £6.91 per hour and shows HIGH (red light), however, the next screen says I am using 368W and ECO(green light). The CO2 screen seems to match the £ screen and show 142G and HIGH red light. £6.91 for 368W seems quite steep…. About £20 per kWh! ….so I am guessing something is not quite right or I am misunderstanding something….

The Gas is very similar…. £0.90 ECO Green light, 226W HIGH Red Light and 45g ECO Green light. I cannot understand how my heating system using 226W could be high… it would barely be enough to warm a dinner plate!

I have checked the settings for lights and they are set at £1.50 and £2.50 for electric and gas respectively. 

It’s possible to set different levels of targets for cost, kw & c02, so I think all you need to do is go into Target in settings, and press the icon on the top right to change each one.
There might be some guesswork involved to get each of the 3 values to match so they all show eco/high at the same time.