OVO SMETS1 Secure Liberty 100/110 smart meter guide

• 14 September 2020
  • 58 replies
OVO SMETS1 Secure Liberty 100/110 smart meter guide

Show first post

58 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Erm…. I’m not sure if I’m missing something here. I don’t think we’ve quite answered the question.

Here’s an internal diagram of a SMETS1 Electricity Smart Meter Equipment (ESME):

If the ESME is configured for pay-monthly, then the contactor stays closed.

If the Billing System software believes that the ESME is on a PAYG tariff, then it checks to see if there is credit on the account. If not, then the contactor opens.

The metrology light flashes according to the power being drawn by the house. So if the contactor is open then it doesn’t flash. There is no current passing through the sensor, even ‘though the electronics is still powered.

If there is power arriving from the Grid then

• the LCD screen should still be live
  • OVO still receives data from the Comms Hub
  • the IHD might still receive data if its battery is charged
  • there is information available on the OVO App

So there should be clear distinction between

a: a PAYG/Boost account with no credit

b: a loss of incoming power from the Grid

The metrology light is not a satisfactory indicator to check because it won’t be flashing in either case.

So if an ordinary customer like @Zalek isn’t able to tell the status of his electricity supply without summoning the DNO engineer to site, then “we’ve” got a problem. It should abundantly clear to an end-user what the problem is by reading the LCD display.

As I’ve never had a SMETS1 meter, and never seen the LCD on a meter running on a PAYG tariff, I’m only able to describe the theory behind my argument. So please bear with me whilst I ask for this point to be clarified.

Userlevel 7

The metrology light is not a satisfactory indicator to check because it won’t be flashing in either case.

So if an ordinary customer​ isn’t able to tell the status of his electricity supply without summoning the DNO engineer to site, then “we’ve” got a problem. It should abundantly clear to an end-user what the problem is by reading the LCD display.

Yep - you’re right, @Transparent, which is why I’ve already amended the guide above:

Updated on 08/09/21 by Jess_OVO

What to check if you’re off-supply

If you’ve lost supply and it’s not a power cut (check this by dialing 105) it could indicate a fault with your meter or the DNO equipment before your meter.

If the metrology light is off it’s worth checking that your meter is in credit mode - press any key on the meter to wake up the screen. It should then auto-scroll through various screens. The first display shown will be the meter mode either ‘CREDIT’ or ‘PAYG’, if your meter is incorrectly showing PAYG contact our Support Team. If the meter is in CREDIT mode contact your DNO to check the supply to the meter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Great. Thanks @Jess_OVO I’m happy with that.

… please forgive me for pursuing this. Í’m still trying to view the situation from where the customer stands.

The SMETS1 meter itself knows its true status. In this case there are four possibilities:

1: Grid OK and Contactor closed. So if there’s no power in the house then it’s something inboard of the meter, such as the main trip in the consumer-unit.

2: Grid OK and Contactor open. Most likely to be a PAYG account configuration with no credit. (Rarely it could be a faulty meter, which we’ll ignore for now).

3: Grid down and Contactor closed. No power whether the account is PAYG or Pay-monthly.

4: Grid down and Contactor open. Customer needs to know because otherwise the grid will be brought back up and they’ll still be in the dark about this(!)

So why isn’t the meter status being shown to the customer via a message being sent to:

a: the meter’s LCD screen (using the backup battery of the internal power supply)

b: the IHD, which has an available messaging system whilst its battery holds up for a couple of hours at least

c: the OVO App, which is capable of sending an Alert Notification

d: the customer’s online account page, which could additionally have a preference-setting to send an email under these circumstances.

Isn’t there a much bigger problem than there needs to be because the Billing System software isn’t using the available messaging systems?

Hello

I have been migrated from SSE to OVO in June and have this meter. There’s a billing issue which I can get help with via Customer Services as the final bill with SSE says I was £9x.xx in debit but the first bill with OVO has an opening debit balance of £18x.XX

There’s a more important issue though. With SSE, I had to manually provide meter readings. I did this by pressing 9 until IMP KWH was shown and I would use that meter reading, which is currently in the 9000 range. When I have been migrated from SSE to OVO, the smart meter has become smart again (from dumb!) and been uploading readings to OVO automatically. However, at the end of June and July it’s been uploading readings in the 6000s. It looks like it’s using the IMP R01 meter reading as when I’ve pressed 6 and waited for that to appear, the end of July meter read is almost identical to what this is showing.

Why is the IMP R01 being used as my single meter reading? I’m definitely not on Economy 7 and I never have been in my life! My bills definitely only show one single rate.​​​​​​​

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!​​​​​​​

Userlevel 7

Hi @Kneale81 and welcome to the OVO online community,

A really interesting question this one. I’m wondering whether the meter might have been installed as a dual register meter, was it already in place when you moved in? When this meter is switched from a dual rate to a single rate plan, the 2 registers will remain on the meter, with only one continuing to clock your usage. In this case we’ll use the reading on this remaining active register to calculate your charges, this may differ to how other suppliers operate (as some will request the total register reading).

Safe to say if there’s any billing discrepancies and you’re worried that the readings on your SSE bills and OVO bills don’t align, our Support Team should be able to take a closer look.

Have you been logging in to your online account to check the ‘Billing History’ pages yet?

Hi @Kneale81 and welcome to the OVO online community,

A really interesting question this one. I’m wondering whether the meter might have been installed as a dual register meter, was it already in place when you moved in? When this meter is switched from a dual rate to a single rate plan, the 2 registers will remain on the meter, with only one continuing to clock your usage. In this case we’ll use the reading on this remaining active register to calculate your charges, this may differ to how other suppliers operate (as some will request the total register reading).

Safe to say if there’s any billing discrepancies and you’re worried that the readings on your SSE bills and OVO bills don’t align, our Support Team should be able to take a closer look.

Have you been logging in to your online account to check the ‘Billing History’ pages yet?

Hi 

Thanks for replying - I have two bills, one from the date I moved over on 28/6 showing an incorrect carry forward debit balance from SSE and also a smart meter reading in the lower 6000s range and then a second bill from the end of July showing that month’s usage, again in the lower 6000s.

If I want to view any previous bills I have to login to my account on SSE’s website.

The meter was already in place when I moved in. You say you use the IMP R01 readings in OVO, and I can see this is the case as this meter is now uploading this reading. Now I don’t know if SSE used the IMP KWH reading and I was manually giving the correct reading to them (in the 9000s) - if so, how would OVO show this change in meter readings on their bills? My last bill with SSE has a final meter read in the 9000s and opening bill with OVO has a meter read in the 6000s - there isn’t one bill showing the actual changeover from IMP KWH to IMP R01. Or perhaps SSE did use the IMP R01 figure and I have been incorrectly providing incorrect manual IMP KWH readings? If that’s the case I would be owed a few hundred pounds.

Also, if some companies use the R1 and some use the total figure, doesn’t this cause loads of issues when people are switching in general as people could end up giving the wrong opening meter reading to the new company if they’re used to giving one reading but the new company takes a different one?

Userlevel 7

Some really great questions there, @Kneale81.

If there are any discrepancies with the register that’s been used to calculate your charges, we can get this corrected so it’s best to get in touch with the Support Team directly to take a closer look at your readings and how they line up.

Hope this helps.