Solved

Smart meter economy 7 off peak times change with Eon - not ideal for storage heaters?

• 23 September 2022
  • 14 replies

Since having Smart Meters fitted, I have TOTALLY regretted it!   With the previous meters you knew exactly the times when Economy 7 came on and went off, (1 hour earlier in winter GMT time).  With Smart Meters the variation of times with E7 on and off, is vast!  Sometimes the E7 stays on up to 9.20am and other times the E7 goes off at 6.40am BST, 1 hour earlier in winter GMT.  With older heaters like mine that are over 30 years old, the heat retention is not very good, and if the heater goes off at 5.40am GMT, later in the afternoon they are barely warm, and almost cold in the evening.  The timings of Smart Meters are highly unreliable, definitely NOT suitable for Storage Heated homes with older heaters. IN MY VIEW THIS IS A TOTAL FAILURE OF TECHNOLOGY.  I will demand to have previous meters restored!  I am a 72 yo man with health problems, and heating technology that is USELESS!

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 23 September 2022, 17:16

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 03/07/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Hi @Lionhart127,

Sorry for the issues you’ve had.

The Economy 7 times with smart meters installed by OVO vary very little, you can find out your peak and off peak hours in this similar thread:

It sounds like you may have a faulty time switch. I’d advise getting in touch with Support and they should be able to help with this. 

Here are some similar articles you might find helpful:

Hope this helps. 

The Economy 7 times with smart meters installed by OVO vary very little, you can find out your peak and off peak hours in this similar thread:

It sounds like you may have a faulty time switch. I’d advise getting in touch with Support and they should be able to help with this. 

Here are some similar articles you might find helpful:

Thank you so much.  At the moment I am not an OVO customer, but seriously thinking of changing to OVO because of all the hassle I have been and still are having with EON.Next. The EON.Next Community Forum will not accept my email, that is why I am on here for advice.  Their contactors Morrisons Energy Services have let me down so many times.  There was 3, yes 3 failed attempts to fit a Smart Meter a few years back. 2 stupid reasons, and 1 never turned up. They came today, hoping they would change or repair the timing on the meter, and did absolutely nothing, and left me with no advice!  I do hope and pray that OVO do not use Morrisons Energy? I sent an email to EON.Next about this E7 Problem, and the guy told me to contact a Gas Technician???  Gas Technician!!!  I live on 2nd floor flat and have NO gas supply, so rely on storage heaters for warmth.  I will contact OVO New Customer services and see what they say, about changing suppliers, and hopefully fix E7 problem. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

I’m one of the forum volunteers here. The first thing I can say is that OVO does use their own engineers where possible rather than contractors.

Can you post photos of your meters please? Something about this doesn’t sound right and I want to see if I can figure out anything.

@Beki_EONNext also stops by this forum from time to time. I’ll let her know you created this thread as she might be able to help.

Sorry did not reply a little earlier, watching a fav program on TV. Yes, can send photos 2 Moro. In the meantime I can give you details of what make of meter, and model, et. It is called WNC, UBC-TN6, SKU1 Cellular, Made in Taiwan. Any more details just ask. Probably better to send a photo.  I did hear that these Smart Meters have to be the right type for the area you live. I live in Beckenham SE Greater London, just a few miles from Crystal Palace transmitter.  I think the area location and type of meter needs to be compatible, is that correct?  If the wrong type of meter was fitted by Morrisons, that probably would have an effect on the meters radio sensitivity? Catch you Saturday. Thanks for your help. 

Hi,

I’m one of the forum volunteers here. The first thing I can say is that OVO does use their own engineers where possible rather than contractors.

Can you post photos of your meters please? Something about this doesn’t sound right and I want to see if I can figure out anything.

@Beki_EONNext also stops by this forum from time to time. I’ll let her know you created this thread as she might be able to help.

Here is the smart meter fitted by Morrisons Energy Services for EON.Next.  The E7 Timing variations can be as much as 2 hours!  Most of the time it goes off far too early, as early as 6.30 BST, that is 5.30 GMT, no way good enough for the old storage heaters to retain the heat up to the evening. The storage heaters are over 30 years old.  My flat is freezing cold by the evening. I suffer from hot and cold fevers, after being severely ill from Covid-19 last August.  Living in a cold flat, it would have been better that I died from Covid!  Clarion Housing refuses to upgrade the old storage heaters, and Morrisons and EON do not care about my badly timed E7. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Lionhart127,

I’m sorry about the issues you’ve had.

It might be worth you calling EON directly today. Keep us posted with how you get on, your advice could help customers in future! 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Emmanuelle_OVO

Sorry to call this out, but that isn't strictly true. 

Under the Ofgem rules OVO has to accept new customers onto their standard variable rate tariffs, including E7. 

Customers may wish to switch to get better customer service for example, not just price while there are no fixed rates available. 

This was confirmed by @Tim_OVO 

Prospective customers can't do it online, they have to phone up. 

The switching process has been dramatically improved so should be much quicker than previously

Hi @Emmanuelle_OVO

Sorry to call this out, but that isn't strictly true. 

Under the Ofgem rules OVO has to accept new customers onto their standard variable rate tariffs, including E7. 

Customers may wish to switch to get better customer service for example, not just price while there are no fixed rates available. 

This was confirmed by @Tim_OVO 

Prospective customers can't do it online, they have to phone up. 

The switching process has been dramatically improved so should be much quicker than previously

Yes.  I agree with TIM.  To Emmanuelle_OVO.  I have seen a new post that someone has just joined OVO from SSE.  Is it because of the issues I am having with EON and Morrisons Energy? They both just come up with pathetic excuses, and insulting my intelligence, saying that nothing can be done. The Smart Meter technology is NOT working the E7 timing correctly.  If EON and Morrison ES, were reliable I would not want to switch.  There is no or very little financial gain for switching.  Please explain Emmanuelle?    

Userlevel 7

Hi all, 

Thanks for keeping us in check with the advice we’re giving. I’ll go ahead and update the info given by Emmanuelle to make sure all the facts check out. 

@Lionhart127 as for your smart meter issue, I can really understand and empathise. It’s essential to have your E7 times be consistent (other than the shift by an hour between GMT and BST), and correct, especially when you have a heating system connected only to the off peak. 

Could you share what advice Eon Next have given to you when you ask for this to be fixed? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Just as a side note, some suppliers are better at dealing with Economy 7 capabilities than others, just like how some Smart Meters handle it better than others.

You seem to have a five terminal meter, but there also seems to be an external contactor. I could do with a photo taken a bit further back so it shows the entire meter backboard as I think I’m onto something here.

Just as a side note, some suppliers are better at dealing with Economy 7 capabilities than others, just like how some Smart Meters handle it better than others.

You seem to have a five terminal meter, but there also seems to be an external contactor. I could do with a photo taken a bit further back so it shows the entire meter backboard as I think I’m onto something here.

Thanks for help. Here is another photo taken much further back. You can see the rcd/mcb consumer

unit at top. The storage heater rcd/mcb unit is behind this wall in a cupboard inside flat. 

Hi all, 

Thanks for keeping us in check with the advice we’re giving. I’ll go ahead and update the info given by Emmanuelle to make sure all the facts check out. 

@Lionhart127 as for your smart meter issue, I can really understand and empathise. It’s essential to have your E7 times be consistent (other than the shift by an hour between GMT and BST), and correct, especially when you have a heating system connected only to the off peak. 

Could you share what advice Eon Next have given to you when you ask for this to be fixed? 

Thank you Tim. I have sent EON.Next 3 emails explaining everything and also sent tweets. Regarding the erratic E7 timings and also asking about E9 or E10. As the storage heaters are over 30 years old the heat retention is not that good, so a late afternoon boost is really essential, and more so now, as the E7 timings are erratic. Soon as I get a reply, whenever that is, I will let you know. May be wrong, but I have a feeling the wrong type of meter was fitted? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

This seems to be the right type of meter, but it’s more a case that E.On Next doesn’t support E9/E10. Unfortunately, all my contacts there seem to have abandoned me and I’ve been unable to summon anyone about this.

If your supplier doesn’t offer Economy 10, you’ll have severe problems trying to make it work at all.

Badge +1

@Lionhart127 

i’ve raised a question on the Eon forum about this situation to try and get some sensible answer.  I’m not that hopeful but I can try.  I think a friend of @Blastoise186 lurks there too so we will be trying on your behalf.

I know too well the problems older storage radiators have.  More modern devices have thermostatic controls which only release the stored heat when its actually required and are much more efficient as a result.  Fitting some those might improve your comfort levels and reduce your running costs.

Obviously, I’m with you that E7 should operate to set times.  I can see though that lots of storage radiators drawing power all at the same time could pose some potential issues for the grid.  I suppose that is why the timings in different regions were staggered. On the other hand, there are not that many customers on E7 as the majority of homes use gas, not electricity to heat their homes