Solved

My usage seems to have gone up since my Smart Meter install?

• 6 November 2017
  • 1 reply

Has anyone noticed that their usage has gone up since their Smart Meter has been installed, even the summer usage is higher. Can anyone tell me how I can check this year's bill with last year. I expect it is because the old meter bills are not online anymore, but can anyone confirm this.
icon

Best answer by Mw2870 8 November 2017, 01:28

Updated on 09/09/2020:

No increase in costs due to a smart meter:

Having a smart meter installed won't directly increase your costs. There are no hidden effects on usage, and your tariff won't change. There are two things that will change after getting a smart meter, though.

Your bills will no longer be estimated: 

If you hadn't provided regular reading previously then your bills may have been estimated and therefore not accurate. A smart meter will send us a reading when we need it to make sure your bill is spot on.

Your meter will be accurate:

The meter will clock accurately. Old meters (this does depend on how old your previous meter was) can slow down, or even speed up meaning they're not measuring your energy usage correctly. We'd only expect to see this with very old meters. A brand new meter, smart or otherwise, will clock what you're using accurately.

Plan prices may have changed over time:

Another thing to consider is if you've renewed onto a new plan recently. The unit rates and standing charges will likely have changed from your previous plan. You can check the prices per Kwh and daily standing charge in the ‘Plan’ tab of your online account

There’s another topic on smart meters and higher then expected readings here and here that might be worth checking out...

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5

Updated on 09/09/2020:

No increase in costs due to a smart meter:

Having a smart meter installed won't directly increase your costs. There are no hidden effects on usage, and your tariff won't change. There are two things that will change after getting a smart meter, though.

Your bills will no longer be estimated: 

If you hadn't provided regular reading previously then your bills may have been estimated and therefore not accurate. A smart meter will send us a reading when we need it to make sure your bill is spot on.

Your meter will be accurate:

The meter will clock accurately. Old meters (this does depend on how old your previous meter was) can slow down, or even speed up meaning they're not measuring your energy usage correctly. We'd only expect to see this with very old meters. A brand new meter, smart or otherwise, will clock what you're using accurately.

Plan prices may have changed over time:

Another thing to consider is if you've renewed onto a new plan recently. The unit rates and standing charges will likely have changed from your previous plan. You can check the prices per Kwh and daily standing charge in the ‘Plan’ tab of your online account

There’s another topic on smart meters and higher then expected readings here and here that might be worth checking out...