Solved

In-Home Display (IHD) showing 60p of energy usage first thing in the morning - Why?

• 21 August 2018
  • 1 reply

My smart meter tells me that I have used 55/60 pence of electricity/gas when I get up before I use anything. Is this the daily standing charge?
icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 18 August 2021, 13:06

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7

Updated on 14/12/22 by Tim_OVO:

Sounds like you’re seeing your daily standing charges included in your energy costs  on your In Home Display (IHD). These are added around midnight each day, so it may look like you’ve used a bit more than you’d expect while you were sleeping!

You can check whether this amount matches your daily standing which is shown on the ‘Plan’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) -

Exact appearance may vary

If your overnight charges are higher than your standing charges, bear in mind some appliances (like fridge/freezers and TVs on standby) use electricity overnight. Visit the Centre for Sustainable Energy (CSE) and get free and impartial advice on the energy usage of your appliances.

For further information on how to use your IHD see the usage guide for your meter/IHD type below:

S2 smart meter and Chameleon IHD

S1 smart meter and Chameleon IHD

S1 meter with a Pipit IHD

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!