Solved

I have a SMETS1 Aclara Smart Meter- It's showing usually high figures on my In Home Display?

I pay for gas and electric on a prepayment meter with a smart meter.  Yesterday the smart meter had £33 credit on the electricity and today it has £329. I know we are getting £67 a month for the £400 grant but this is way more. I’ve no idea where this credit has come from. I’ve had no email from Ova about it. Has anyone else suddenly ended up with a massive credit they weren’t expecting?

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 4 October 2022, 17:11

View original

38 replies

I've got the same issue , happened last night after I topped up £20 and ended up with an extra £200 on my meter - it seems as though the meter has added an extra 0 to the top up amounts and has used "£90" throughout the day - hopefully they'll fix it soon , very annoying! 

I've got the same issue , happened last night after I topped up £20 and ended up with an extra £200 on my meter - it seems as though the meter has added an extra 0 to the top up amounts and has used "£90" throughout the day - hopefully they'll fix it soon , very annoying! 

I’ve not topped up at all since 24th September.  I have noticed tho it has used £21 of electric overnight!! That’s scary as there was nothing on except the fridge and freezer. No lights, no consoles or TV’s. If that is the way things are now I cannot afford it.

I am on an energy group on facebook and it looks like this is an SEE/ Ova glitch they said would be sorted two days ago. It also seems we are being charged at the pre capped rate.  I hope they sort it soon and give us any refunds due.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

This will all be resolved soon. No need to panic. :)

Userlevel 7

Thanks for flagging this, @LADYBIRD @Kirstar - I’ll get it raised internally. Are you Boost Power customers or OVO prepayment? Any developments since you raised it?

Had the same problem, looked at the smartmeter yesterday morning and it showed £125, looked at it again this morning it showed £92!  I’m sure I didn’t use £30.00 worth of electricity yesterday!

Thanks for flagging this, @LADYBIRD @Kirstar - I’ll get it raised internally. Are you Boost Power customers or OVO prepayment? Any developments since you raised it?

Thanks for picking this up Tim , I'm on Pre payment SSE which has changed to OVO recently

Thanks for flagging this, @LADYBIRD @Kirstar - I’ll get it raised internally. Are you Boost Power customers or OVO prepayment? Any developments since you raised it?

Thanks for picking this up Tim , I'm on Pre payment SSE which has changed to OVO recently

I am also on prepayment SSE recently changed to OVA.  Thank you.

I’m on prepayment SSE, too.  Hope this gets sorted.

I’m on a prepayment electric meter which was suddenly credited with £200 on 2/10 by 3/10 it’s down to £163, just topped up by £10 to see what happens and it’s shot to £263 ??

This is very worrying what’s going on??

I have checked my recent payments on the meter and they are stating I top up £300, when I only Top-Up £30 ??

the worry is that I have used £57 in 2 days?

I have checked my recent payments on the meter and they are stating I top up £300, when I only Top-Up £30 ??

the worry is that I have used £57 in 2 days?

This must be a smart meter display  problem. I originally had £33 credit on the electric on Sunday.  Despite a huge credit going on of nearly £300  on Sunday night, I never added, the actually electric meter is showing the correct credit. It says I’ve used around £5. My display says I’ve used £48 in same time period. I’ve tried rebooting the display, taking the battery out etc but it is not correcting.  I worry when the £67 goes on it will be even worse. I need the display working as the meter is hard to get to.

I’ve just had a text to say unusual amounts on my IHD are a temporary glitch and the correct balance is shown on my meter and top ups are not affected.  I assume this will be corrected at some point but it is good to know that my electric is not going to be £25 plus a day!

Userlevel 7

Thanks for confirming this, @LADYBIRD

As you eluded to, customers who have a SMETS1 Aclara smart meter will see high figures on their In Home Display. This is a glitch and will be corrected in the coming days. The actual smart meter (gas and electric) will be unaffected. 

Does anyone else find it next to impossible to get any sort of reply from ovo, be it chat or phone. My ihd is not working and the only way to sort it is to go to a new supplier

Does anyone else find it next to impossible to get any sort of reply from ovo, be it chat or phone. My ihd is not working and the only way to sort it is to go to a new supplier

I get a reply try Fb messenger.  They are still *Edited by Mod* though 

Userlevel 1

I’ve been trying for months to get an answer to why I haven’t received any Feed in Tariff  payments this year from ovo.. 6 phone calls and 3 emails later and still no answers, help or anything whatsoever ever.

I got so frustrated yesterday I asked to speak to complaints department.. after 20 mins on hold, the customer service agent got through, came back to me and said the complaints department refused to accept my call and for the customer service agent to “deal” with it. 

I’ve now had to go to the ombudsman as I refuse to waste any more time trying to get any kind of assistance  from this company. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @tomf1265 

Sorry for the issues you’re having.

It’s true our customer-facing channels are really busy at the moment. We are receiving high levels of contact at the moment due in a large part to the recently announced Energy Price Guarantee and the first payments of the Energy Bills Support Scheme

You can contact Support through our social media channels as well as web messenger and phone. 

Is your query anything that we can help with on the Forum? Our community members have lots of really helpful advice and we have tons of resources available about In Home Displays (IHDs).

Hope this helps. 

Emmanuelle, I finally got a response was asked for My phone number and ovo did not even bother to call me back.so my next move is to switch supplier, what a terrible organisation ovo is

Userlevel 7

Hi @tomf1265,

I’m really sorry to hear that.

Are the issues with your In Home Display only something Support could help with? If you give us some more information about the problem I'm sure me and some of our other community members can offer some advice. 

We have tons of resources available about all things smart related:

I’d advise responding the the below questions and forwarding your responses to Support if you haven’t done so already. This will help them diagnose the issue. 

1. Does the device show a correct time and date?

2. Is the WiFi symbol solid/flashing/not there?

3. Could you confirm the Device ID? (Long ID number on the bottom of device)

4. How far away from your electricity meter do you store your IHD? Are there any walls in between that could be blocking the signal?

5. What is the issue with your IHD? E.g. not showing electricity/gas usage, displays incorrect tariff, device is rebooting itself?

6. Please confirm if your device is an IHD3 (black all over) or IHD6 (black on the front and white on the back)

7. If your IHD is showing incorrect rates: what rates does your IHD currently show? Are the rates shown on the IHD higher or lower than your actual rates?

If you would like to find out about our Complaint Procedure there is more information on our website. 

Hope this helps. 

Incredibly poor service from this outfit. I have been on estimated meter readings since January and have totally failed to get this corrected. I’m now told my dd will increase to £754 from £122 based on these incorrect readings. Nobody at Ovo seems interested in the least. I will be speaking to the press about this as I see it as more than incompetence boarding on fraud.  

Userlevel 7

Hey @Mikeyd,

Sorry for the issues you’re having.

You can submit a meter reading anytime to your Online Account. We have a live billing system so whenever you submit a meter reading your account balance will update accordingly within 24-48 hours. This should also update your recommended direct debit.

As you have said you’ve been on estimated readings it sounds like it’s actually your smart meter that’s not working, not the IHD. Please complete a smart meter health check:

You can send this to Support through web messenger, they’ll raise it to the right team who’ll try to fix the issues with your meters remotely. If they are unable to do so, they’ll send an engineer out.

If you think your direct debit review is incorrect due to a meter fault or have a live complaint you can request to put your direct debit on a review suspension for 3 months. 

Hope this helps. 

Yes it could be a Smart meter reading fault. The only issue here is that I don’t have one! Numerous meter readings have been submitted along with photos but without success. Still it’s only been ongoing since January so give them time eh. Absolutely terrible customer service. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Mikeyd,

Just to clarify...

So you’re submitting meter readings online but when you do so, they don’t appear on your Online Account or billing is that right? 

Can you provide a bit more detail of the problem you are having. Are you getting an error message? 

Can you please send a screenshot of the message you get when you submit a reading and one of the meter reading page of your Online Account.

The title of this post is IHD so I assumed you had a smart meter as these would only be given if you did. Can you send a photo of your meters please.

Let’s get to the bottom of this.

I have provided screenshots to staff, e mailed, submitted online meter readings and still it’s about 18000 units out. This has been ongoing since January and I am not getting anywhere with it. Can you see my frustration?