Solved

How reliable are Second Generation Smart Meters?

• 23 December 2018
  • 4 replies

I had avoided installation of 1st gen smart meters for compatibility issues. Now OVO offering installation of 2nd generation meters which also acts as an export meter for my FIT for solar panels, I decided to have the smart meter installed in September. All seemed well, but after nearly 4 months, there is no benefit to be seen.

OVO are NOT able to get the smart readings for Electricity from the very first day. The Gas readings seem to be working. The display unit in the house only showed GAS data. After much chasing, OVO sent an engineer to investigate on 20th Dec. The smart meter was replaced with a new one. After 3 days there is still no data for electricity and I suspect the smart readings are not being read. Now, the GAS data is corrupt as my display unit inside suggests that I am consuming £80-£90 worth of gas EVERY DAY !!! We are only 2 person household. I have no idea what kinds of smart readings are being fed but it is an alarming situation.

There is no direct contact number to reach Smart meter team. Has anyone else experienced issues with the new 2nd generation smart meters fitted by OVO ?
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 31 December 2018, 13:55

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated on 06/03/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Sorry to hear of the issues you’ve had since deciding to take the plunge and upgrade to one of our SMETS 2 smart meters.

Whilst the majority of our members find the transition to smart meters is a smooth and welcome change, occasionally things can go slightly wrong.

In your case you noticed your In Home Display (IHD) wasn’t showing your full usage information from both meters. Sometimes this can just indicate an issue with the IHD, check out this guide for some trouble-shooting tips. It’s worth checking the ‘Usage’ pages of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) - if the usage data is missing here too there might be a communication issue with the meters themselves.

In order to diagnose any communication issues, we’d recommend carrying out a smart meter health check and contacting our Support Team with the results. If the issues can’t be resolved remotely, we’ll send out an engineer who may need to commission or replace the current smart meters, as happened with your meters. As with your original smart meter installation, things aren’t always up and running with the meters straight away, it can take up to 6 weeks to see the usage information both on your IHD and online account. For some more background detail in to what’s happening post-install, check out this great user-generated guide.

Hope this helps explain the smart meter woes you’ve been having and you see the slight teething issues resolved ASAP - There really are some great benefits to going smart!

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Hi Nancy,
If it is JUST the firmware issue with only the IHD, I will live with it for a few weeks. But my suspicion (strong) is that the smart readings are not being transmitted - at least the electric if not both. It will be evident in the next bill as you should now be collecting the smart reading for both. Lets wait and see as I would like to be proved wrong 😟
I will not get a smart meter installed my friends with ovo have to have there smart meters read because the meter fails to send a signal.
Userlevel 5
But my suspicion (strong) is that the smart readings are not being transmitted - at least the electric if not both. It will be evident in the next bill as you should now be collecting the smart reading for both. Lets wait and see as I would like to be proved wrong 😟

Hey @EagleI - did you check your readings from the meter against the readings used on your bills?