Solved

Electricity meter in metal cabinet - can I get smart meters?

• 4 February 2018
  • 1 reply

Some time ago we had an engineer come to install a smart meter. Unfortunately, he said it could not be done because our electricity meter is set in a metal cabinet in the hall wall. What can we do?
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 6 February 2018, 18:07

Hey @Andytb,

I've modified your topic a little bit to make it more "searchable".

That's quite a unique situation, but the metal cabinet will almost definitely prevent the meter from communicating with us. We need the electricity meter to be connected to us as it acts as the main hub, gathering the reading from the gas meter too and sending them both to us.

We'd only be able to guarantee it working if the metal box was removed. If you want to post some pictures of the setup on here, we could offer some more detailled advice.

Cheers,
Nancy
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Hey @Andytb,

I've modified your topic a little bit to make it more "searchable".

That's quite a unique situation, but the metal cabinet will almost definitely prevent the meter from communicating with us. We need the electricity meter to be connected to us as it acts as the main hub, gathering the reading from the gas meter too and sending them both to us.

We'd only be able to guarantee it working if the metal box was removed. If you want to post some pictures of the setup on here, we could offer some more detailled advice.

Cheers,
Nancy