Solved

Do I have to change to a monthly Direct Debit if I opt for a smart meter upgrade?

• 4 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Thinking of swapping to a smart meter, currently pay my bills in full every quarter. Do I have to change to monthly direct debit or will I still be able to pay quarterly? 

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 5 January 2022, 15:14

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @Dave Stafford !

Welcome to the forum. :)

I have good news for you. If you’re paying bills on a quarterly basis under a grandfather rule, this will remain in effect regardless of what type of meter you have. For this purpose, having a Smart Meter means you basically get more accurate bills but doesn’t have any effect on how you pay.

I think pretty much the only thing that would remove you from the quarterly billing, would be if you leave OVO and come back as you’d be a new member on a new account. Otherwise, you’ll remain on quarterly billing for the foreseeable future. If this ever changes, OVO will give you plenty of advance notice.

Userlevel 7

Updated on 10/02/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Great question, @Dave Stafford!

Glad to hear you’re considering upgrading to a smart meter. As our community volunteer, @Blastoise186, has confirmed this change to your meter type won’t affect your billing schedule so if you’re currently paying on receipt of your quarterly statements this would continue if you prefer this payment method. One of the great benefits of making the change to a smart Meter would be a much more up-to date view of your balance and usage costs in between your quarterly statements, meaning a more accurate Direct Debit amount if you do ever decide to opt for this payment option. As our live-billing platform is able to calculate your daily usage costs every time your smart meter sends a reading you’ll be able to keep a closer eye on what you’ve been using in anticipation of your next quarterly statements. 

Have you managed to get yourself logged in to your Online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) yet? :slight_smile:

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Meter stopped communicating with us? Fill in this Online Form

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!