We had electricity and gas smart meters installed in February 2020, however the gas meter is defective and shows a reading of zero continuously. The gas meter does communicate correctly with the electricity meter and to OVO, but it always sends 0.
- 12th March OVO customer services agreed the meter was defective and needs to be replaced.
- I believe in June or July OVO resumed smart meter engineer fitting etc and we have been regularly asking for an appointment for replacement of the meter - customer services always say that the scheduling team will be in contact but they never do.
- now OVO seem to have the position that as we moved electricity supplier during the eight months waiting for the gas meter to replaced, they cannot replace the gas meter “As your electric is no longer with us, your gas S2 smart meter would not be able to be worked on by us” “I apologise if this information wasn't given to you before you switched away.”
- Instead we apparently have to persuade another supplier to take us on, even though we cannot supply a meter reading and have a defective meter?!? Is this even possible?
Would appreciate any ideas as to when or if OVO will be able to replace the non-functional gas meter. Thank you!
Best answer by Tim_OVO
Thanks for posting,
The info below is taken from this topic on meter faults:
In any of the below cases, the meter will need to exchanged free of charge, which can be arranged by contacting our Support team here (contact channel options at the bottom):
- Another common type of meter fault where the meter will stay on the same reading and not register any usage.
- The removal reading will be recalculated using either readings prior to the fault, new meter consumption or usage averages. More info here
In your case, I think this can be booked as a faulty meter exchange, which can be booked for any weekday beyond 17 working days notice. Alternatively you can switch away to the same supplier as your electricity, and the changeover reading will be calculated as described above.