Solved

Defective gas smart meter communicates with OVO but doesn't clock usage - meter reading 00000. Can I get it replaced if I switch electricity?

• 28 October 2020
  • 5 replies

We had electricity and gas smart meters installed in February 2020, however the gas meter is defective and shows a reading of zero continuously. The gas meter does communicate correctly with the electricity meter and to OVO, but it always sends 0.

1. 12th March OVO customer services agreed the meter was defective and needs to be replaced.
  2. I believe in June or July OVO resumed smart meter engineer fitting etc and we have been regularly asking for an appointment for replacement of the meter - customer services always say that the scheduling team will be in contact but they never do.
  3. now OVO seem to have the position that as we moved electricity supplier during the eight months waiting for the gas meter to replaced, they cannot replace the gas meter  “As your electric is no longer with us, your gas S2 smart meter would not be able to be worked on by us” “I apologise if this information wasn't given to you before you switched away.”
  4. Instead we apparently have to persuade another supplier to take us on, even though we cannot supply a meter reading and have a defective meter?!? Is this even possible?

Would appreciate any ideas as to when or if OVO will be able to replace the non-functional gas meter. Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 29 October 2020, 10:45

Thanks for posting, @unmetered - proper pain to have a meter fault like this after it’s been installed! 

The info below is taken from this topic on meter faults:

In any of the below cases,​​​​​​​ the meter will need to exchanged free of charge, which can be arranged by contacting our Support team here (contact channel options at the bottom):  

• Another common type of meter fault where the meter will stay on the same reading and not register any usage.
  • The removal reading will be recalculated using either readings prior to the fault, new meter consumption or usage averages. More info here

In your case, I think this can be booked as a faulty meter exchange, which can be booked for any weekday beyond 17 working days notice. Alternatively you can switch away to the same supplier as your electricity, and the changeover reading will be calculated as described above. 

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Thanks for posting, @unmetered - proper pain to have a meter fault like this after it’s been installed! 

The info below is taken from this topic on meter faults:

In any of the below cases,​​​​​​​ the meter will need to exchanged free of charge, which can be arranged by contacting our Support team here (contact channel options at the bottom):  

• Another common type of meter fault where the meter will stay on the same reading and not register any usage.
  • The removal reading will be recalculated using either readings prior to the fault, new meter consumption or usage averages. More info here

In your case, I think this can be booked as a faulty meter exchange, which can be booked for any weekday beyond 17 working days notice. Alternatively you can switch away to the same supplier as your electricity, and the changeover reading will be calculated as described above. 

Userlevel 7

It might be worth getting a second opinion about this fault meter, reach out to our Support team on web chat (scroll to the bottom of that page) and feel free to link to this topic!

Thanks Tim for your help!  I hope that we can get the gas meter exchanged.

I’ve tried the web chat but apparently they cannot deal with meter exchange scheduling etc. Would be great if the scope of the web chat service could be expanded to match the phone service as it is very convenient, especially for those of us at work. I’ll try again on the phone line when possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey, @unmetered if you don’t want that meter which always sends zero for the reading, then I’d be happy to have it! :wink:

Actually, it’s a little more tricky working out where the fault is than you might suppose. There’s a proxy-gas-meter within the Communications Hub and it’s this which holds the data being transferred with the actual gas-meter in both directions.

The proxy-meter concept is because the processor in the actual gas meter only wakes from its slumbers once every 30 minutes. This conserves battery-life.

Since you’ve successfully moved Energy Supplier for electricity in the past 8-months, the gas-meter is the responsibility of OVO, whilst the proxy-meter is with the new Supplier because it’s in the Comms Hub!

I’m not entirely confident that OVO are correct in stating what you’ve quoted in paragraph-3. There is no regulation to suggest that customers with Smart Meters must source both types of energy from the same Supplier.

Have you considered writing an email to OVO to challenge their assertion?

Userlevel 7

I’ve tried the web chat but apparently they cannot deal with meter exchange scheduling etc. Would be great if the scope of the web chat service could be expanded to match the phone service as it is very convenient, especially for those of us at work. I’ll try again on the phone line when possible.

Thanks @unmetered 

We tend to ask agents to call customers that need appointments booked in, as there’s a few technical bits to cover that’s better over the phone. 

However if you’re on web chat, we'd want the person you’re in conversation with to make that call to you. I’ve passed on feedback to the web chat team to remind them of this. 

Let us know if you get this appointment booked in when you next call. 

Thanks!