Solved

Cumulative usage figures on In Home Display (IHD) are large - have I got a 2nd hand SMETS1 smart meter?

Userlevel 1
  • Carbon Catcher*
  • 7 replies

I recently got a smets1 meter on 10June 2020 - it had to be smets1 as we are part of the V2G trial, and have solar elec as well.  I’ve just tried pressing “9” on both gas and elec meters to see cumulated readings, and got a bit of a shock, as the numbers were huge!  Normally this time of year I would expect 6KWh/day elec, almost zero gas use (we have solar thermal as well as PV, for hot water). 

I took photos of the IHD though on the history pages, which I think clears things up.  It shows huge cumulative values on the IHD which match pressing button 9, but also luckily the last 12 months useage, which I think are just from us.

I am assuming the meters are 2nd hand, and have not had their history cleared.  I hope OVO recognises this!  When I look at myOVO - it has the correct elec serial number, but shows I entered a reading of zero on 10June2020, which I did not.

Pressing “9” on the elec meter gives:

IMP KWh 8693.1

It matches the Cuml: 8.693MWh value on the IHD

Pressing “9” on the gas meter gives:

IMP KWh 25792.53 

It matches the Cuml figure on the IHD

icon

Best answer by RobL 30 August 2020, 09:06

I got in touch via email, as suggested thank you.  They said it looks like “an issue with the app that is showing an incorrect high amount of usage.”  I asked for daily data (it was set at monthly), so the issue can be seen resolved faster - and it is all fixed now :-)

The meters prob are 2nd hand, but maybe thats irrelevant, it was all software teething trouble.  Pic of gas use now:

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @RobL - Well that’s a relief. National Grid were wondering who’s been using all the electricity over the past fortnight. It’s you! :wink:

Once you have Smart Meters installed it can take up to 5 weeks for the off-site commissioning work to be done. When that is completed your actual tariff-data is downloaded into your Communications Hub, which sits on the top of your electricity meter.

At that point you should also be able to see your Usage statistics using your Online Account.

So the key question is not what is showing on your IHD display, but do you have online histograms?

The Zero reading which is given on 10june20 is a consequence of the on-site installation work by the engineer. All is well.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Ninja, panic over! 

Yes, I have histograms.  They’re all old ones from using the previous “dumb” meter, attached more for my peace of mind!

All the best, Rob

Userlevel 7

So what was the verdict, @RobL - why all of this high cumulative usage on the IHD? Bit confused….

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Well I’m also puzzled at the histograms you’ve posted @RobL . This looks like you’re on the old Billing System software.

I thought the change of meter would coincide with migrating your account to the new Billing System.

Userlevel 1

The online histogram looks like I’m used to - we’ve been with OVO around 6 years with manually read meters, so there’s plenty of old data.   I assume that our new meter data isn’t there yet for some reason. 

I’m also assuming now the meters are 2nd hand, as the elec one says  “year 2014” physically on it, and it’s smets1, which the guy who fitted it said they don’t do anymore.

I will just have to wait to see what OVO’s next bill is - will it be similar to previous, or will it be 3 years gas & elec all in one go ?

Will report when anything changes!

Userlevel 6

Thanks for the update @RobL, please do keep us in the loop! 

Userlevel 1

My ovo account now refers to the new smets1 meter.  The data logged there is unrelated to that on our IHD though - I believe the IHD data is correct.  All the website readings are identical each day, and over ten times higher than our use.  Elec is also similarly wrong.   The elec & gas meter id on the website matches what is written on the outside of the elec & gas meters.

Should I do anything, if so what, or will it sort itself out? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

There’s several things happening here @RobL - so let me deal with one of them.

The new Billing System has a “feature” whereby if gas readings have not been obtained each day, it calculates the total-usage over the days, and apportions the usage equally.

This is odd/frustrating because OVO has actually retrieved the gas-usage figures for each half-hour. They were stored in the Communications Hub and transferred onto the Hourly-chart for each day once OVO has downloaded them.

So that’s why the identical usage has been assigned to all days in the graph you’ve shown above.

That’s entirely separate to the fact that your usage is 10x higher than it should be!

Userlevel 5

@RobL - @Transparent is right about all the days looking the same, but as mentioned, this doesn’t explain why these figures are higher than your typical usage.

This one would require us taking a look at your account to see why this has happened, so I’d recommend getting in touch directly with us. You can get in touch via FacebookTwitter and our Help centre has online chat!

Userlevel 1

I got in touch via email, as suggested thank you.  They said it looks like “an issue with the app that is showing an incorrect high amount of usage.”  I asked for daily data (it was set at monthly), so the issue can be seen resolved faster - and it is all fixed now :-)

The meters prob are 2nd hand, but maybe thats irrelevant, it was all software teething trouble.  Pic of gas use now: