Solved

Can we use our Solar Photovoltaic (PV) panel generated energy before it's exported?

• 27 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

We have a new PV system, but are unable to use any energy it produces as this goes straight to the grid.

We would like to use the energy first, and then export any surplus. We understand we need a two-way meter (that records energy generated as a well as used).

So, lovely Forum Community: can we use a 2-way meter with PVs?

icon

Best answer by The Good Consumer 27 September 2022, 17:50

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @The Good Consumer ,

That’s actually how things work anyway! :)

You’ll always use any generated electricity before anything gets exported, provided what you’re generating is enough to do so. If you don’t generate enough, it’ll be topped up from the grid.

Please can you post photos of your existing electricity meter? This will help us to advise you further.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Could I add to the photo request and ask for pictures of your solar PV connections as well, to check it's been wired up correctly? Is it wired into a circuit breaker in your consumer unit?

Badge

That’s actually how things work anyway! :)

You’ll always use any generated electricity before anything gets exported, provided what you’re generating is enough to do so. If you don’t generate enough, it’ll be topped up from the grid.

Could I add to the photo request and ask for pictures of your solar PV connections as well, to check it's been wired up correctly? Is it wired into a circuit breaker in your consumer unit?

Dear Kind OVO forum,

I have (at last!) managed to get through to the energy provider.

Apparently, if we wish first to use our own energy, what is required is a 3-phase meter (which we do not have). THis has been ordered- so the Q I posed earlier has now been answerered.

Many thanks for your suggestions and support!

Userlevel 7

Interesting topic, this one. @The Good Consumer I’ve not heard of the energy solar panels generate being exported directly. My understanding is that this will always go to energy consumption first. Why is a 3 phase meter needed? 

Anyone else have a take on this? @EverythingNeedsAUserName @Larissa @waiwurrie?

Userlevel 3
Badge

@The Good Consumer@Tim_OVO 

“new” implies recently installed (rather than house move) so no FIT.  If installed inline with 99.9% of current installs it would work as @Blastoise186 says.  The only need for a 3-phase meter is if the size of the system is too big for single phase which it cant be as it is already installed and working.  If you go 3-phase then you would need a suitable inverter which is a major element of the equipment costs so not something you would want to chop and change.

Of course I am no expert and it may be perfectly sensible in some set of circumstances - we dont really have enough info - but there are some people out there making a lot of money out of people who dont understand enough of what they are doing.  So I would suggest investigating further before splashing out on more kit and installation costs.  If not here then there are people on a facebook group i have mentioned in other posts that could help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

As the others have said, this is really odd and doesn't seem to make sense. Solar PV would normally be used in house first and a standard house wouldn't need 3-phase.